The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Housing Idea: Alchemy Ingredient Garden

Nyladreas
Nyladreas
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I think this would be an excellent addition, since there is no alchemy hireling in the game.

Let's say we'd have up to 6 slots per home to plant herbs and other ingredients which you could harvest ONCE A DAY. To replant these herbs/ingredients you would have to use seeds you gather from herbs in the open world. Much like a hireling but better :)

It could come as a reward for writ vouchers and be added to the crown store, or perhaps just extremely expensive furnishing.

What do you guys think?

And what does ZOS think about this? @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_ChrisStrasz @ZOS_RobGarrett Dunno who else to tag :)

Here's also a nice idea.
max_only wrote: »
Having read the thread I think this is a good idea with some restrictions. Zos releases an object that looks like a mound of dirt. Just like the containers, there a few ways to get them. Just like the containers they are connected across all homes and account wide. One mound could be one that spawns nirnroot and water hyacinth randomly between those two. Another can spawn mountain flower and dragonthorn. Another can spawn columbine or nightshade, etc. Pair the plants in the mounds, but make it make sense so if we place the object near the water, a water plant will spawn.

If these mounds are like the current housing storage you can place them in multiple houses sure, but you only can get one of each type. Edit: and they are connected so harvesting in home A means they are harvested across all homes. Have these spawn either at the same time the account gains Enlightenment or a global daily.

If these mounds are acquired through master writ vouchers or the crown store, and they are limited like the housing storage is then it would be fair.

While I wish they won’t, they probably will have these mounds count against the collectible slots in housing instead of “traditional furniture” slots.

With these restrictions it seems more balanced.

Thanks @max_only
Edited by Nyladreas on August 19, 2018 7:01PM

Housing Idea: Alchemy Ingredient Garden 153 votes

Yes, sounds great!
91%
cauxiqdodgehopper_ESOZardayneBigBraggPheefstspecherb14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESOAelorinIruil_ESOAimorafreespiritElara_NorthwindAlienSloffioskalkkravaritieb17_ESOYukon2112SheezabeastJoanOfOrcTerraDewBerryGTech_1 140 votes
No, this is a bad idea.
6%
otis67kwisatzIluvrienLarianaTechnoDreamVisionaaisoahomeatbollshaielzafineSalvas_ArenKaartinen 10 votes
I have a different/better idea/other.
1%
jluchaubutternutbuttNightfall12 3 votes
  • Lady_Scorp72
    Lady_Scorp72
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Having a personal greenhouse to harvest from was my favourite part of the housing system in Skyrim. I’d love to see something similar in ESO. :)
    Bosmer Warden, backstabbing Thief and Mischief Maker

“You’re as stealthy as a Mammoth on tip-toes.”
    — NPC, The Rift
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, either this will be implemented in a way that is incredibly underwhelming, or incredibly OP.

In the first case, your "garden" will be mostly cosmetic. Why port into my home to collect 5 herbs once a day, when I can go to the overland and gather those herbs more quickly than it would take to port back and forth from the home.

Or if it is made too OP, you would be able to harvest way too many ingredients in your home and it would upset the economic and trading balance of the game.

Pretty much the only thing that makes sense is if you can collect some "rarer" kinds of mats from your own garden or harvest area, like clam ingredients, maybe frost mirriam and such. That will also quickly turn OP, at least for clam ingredients.

But if I can collect only a handful of herbs on a daily basis from my home, I simply wouldn't bother, when it's so much easier and faster to simply collect them in the world zones.

Every time we add functionality to homes, we also take away players from city hubs to put in their isolated home pockets. I don't think homes should have functionality that competes with the overland map or the city hubs. Houses should rather have something new, something that only houses can offer, just like we got the storage containers last time, which cannot be accessed outside your house. I'd rather see unique things like this added to housing, than simply more competition to the overland map and city hubs.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat, but probably ill advised.

A cosmetic herb garden would be cool, though. I'm all for that.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Thing is, either this will be implemented in a way that is incredibly underwhelming, or incredibly OP.

In the first case, your "garden" will be mostly cosmetic. Why port into my home to collect 5 herbs once a day, when I can go to the overland and gather those herbs more quickly than it would take to port back and forth from the home.

Or if it is made too OP, you would be able to harvest way too many ingredients in your home and it would upset the economic and trading balance of the game.

Pretty much the only thing that makes sense is if you can collect some "rarer" kinds of mats from your own garden or harvest area, like clam ingredients, maybe frost mirriam and such. That will also quickly turn OP, at least for clam ingredients.

But if I can collect only a handful of herbs on a daily basis from my home, I simply wouldn't bother, when it's so much easier and faster to simply collect them in the world zones.

Every time we add functionality to homes, we also take away players from city hubs to put in their isolated home pockets. I don't think homes should have functionality that competes with the overland map or the city hubs. Houses should rather have something new, something that only houses can offer, just like we got the storage containers last time, which cannot be accessed outside your house. I'd rather see unique things like this added to housing, than simply more competition to the overland map and city hubs.

It wouldn't be any different than having a hireling. You're extremely overthinking it. And IDK about you, but anyone who has their house fully equipped with storage/crafting stations/NPCs ports there every day. I port there all the time.

Also, NO to rare ingredients. How is that not OP too and doesn't upset the economy? That's even worse. Herbs are everywhere. If 1 person decided to have a 12 hour marathon for an entire week, just farming herbs on Khenarti's Roost it wouldn't upset the economy either.

I really don't understand the problems you see with it. If you don't want to port into your home regardless, then you don't have to, nobody is forcing you to? It only takes 30 seconds too, how would this remove players from the city hubs? :/ Take it easy bro.
    Edited by Nyladreas on August 14, 2018 10:39AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    It wouldn't be any different than having a hireling.

Actually, turn this around. I would be all for an overhaul of the hireling system where each character who had the passive could place a drop off point in your house. Add one for Jewelry crafting, and Alchemy while we're at it. Sync their respawn timer to the dailies (2am Eastern), then let that character place it in the house, while any character on that account can harvest it. Then, just, let us grab our hireling mats on a single login. (Or even just condense them down so that one chest pulls based on the number of points spent across the entire account.) Either way, that would be worth it.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't be any different than having a hireling. You're extremely overthinking it. And IDK about you, but anyone who has their house fully equipped with storage/crafting stations/NPCs ports there every day. I port there all the time.

Also, NO to rare ingredients. How is that not OP too and doesn't upset the economy? That's even worse. Herbs are everywhere. If 1 person decided to have a 12 hour marathon for an entire week, just farming herbs on Khenarti's Roost it wouldn't upset the economy either.

I really don't understand the problems you see with it. If you don't want to port into your home regardless, then you don't have to, nobody is forcing you to? It only takes 30 seconds too, how would this remove players from the city hubs? :/ Take it easy bro.

Eh, no, it's not nearly the same as a hireling. Hirelings take 0 effort to use, I log on to a character to do their daily writs, it takes me less than 10 seconds to empty the hireling mail.

A garden I would have to port into my house, go collect whatever herbs, port out again. That takes time and active effort. All I'm saying is it has no value to me to do that for 3 Dragonthorn and 2 Columbines, when I could gather those ingredients and even more nodes out on the overland map for the same time used.

Just because you hang out in your house every day doesn't mean everyone does. I pretty much only go into my own house when I want to retrieve something form the storage (which is rare) or when I want to do some new decorating.
    I have access to several guildhalls with all the stations, but I only go there when I do my master writs, which I only do like once every 2-3 weeks, in order to save time. So no, not everyone ports to their house every day.

I'm sorry that you feel defensive because someone is critical to the idea. I'm sure ZOS sees the issues as well, which is why we haven't gotten the functionality to harvest plants in your homes by now.
    If this is going to be worth the effort of porting in and out and picking up plants, it will fast become too OP for the economy and balance, and if it is not worth the time to port in and out of my house every day to pick plants, then why have the functionality in the first place?

I'm all for cosmetic gardens that you can simply plant because it looks nice. Doesn't have to do more than that. And like I already wrote, I'd rather that houses provide functionality and mechanics that aren't simply stuff you can already do on the overland map or in city hubs. Make housing unique with unique functionality, instead of just cheap copies of stuff you can already do elsewhere.
    Edited by Carbonised on August 14, 2018 10:57AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only takes 30 seconds too, how would this remove players from the city hubs?

It only takes me 30 seconds because I use an addon to slurp down everything in my inbox after I've done my writs. It'll take way longer for someone to harvest 15 character's hireling mail. Even then, I only grab them once a day reliably.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!

Eh, no, it's not nearly the same as a hireling. Hirelings take 0 effort to use, I log on to a character to do their daily writs, it takes me less than 10 seconds to empty the hireling mail.

A garden I would have to port into my house, go collect whatever herbs, port out again. That takes time and active effort. All I'm saying is it has no value to me to do that for 3 Dragonthorn and 2 Columbines, when I could gather those ingredients and even more nodes out on the overland map for the same time used.

Just because you hang out in your house every day doesn't mean everyone does. I pretty much only go into my own house when I want to retrieve something form the storage (which is rare) or when I want to do some new decorating.
    I have access to several guildhalls with all the stations, but I only go there when I do my master writs, which I only do like once every 2-3 weeks, in order to save time. So no, not everyone ports to their house every day.

I'm sorry that you feel defensive because someone is critical to the idea. I'm sure ZOS sees the issues as well, which is why we haven't gotten the functionality to harvest plants in your homes by now.
    If this is going to be worth the effort of porting in and out and picking up plants, it will fast become too OP for the economy and balance, and if it is not worth the time to port in and out of my house every day to pick plants, then why have the functionality in the first place?

I'm all for cosmetic gardens that you can simply plant because it looks nice. Doesn't have to do more than that. And like I already wrote, I'd rather that houses provide functionality and mechanics that aren't simply stuff you can already do on the overland map or in city hubs. Make housing unique with unique functionality, instead of just cheap copies of stuff you can already do elsewhere.

Not really being defensive, I'm just questioning your opinion.

I'm just confused... Why even have a house if you never go there? :/ Also who says it would have to be every character separately, with the idea I proposed that's not even possible. It would be an object that you harvest once in your house. It's not going to refresh for each of your characters....

Ughhhh.... I feel like people are way too greedy and lazy for this idea.

And once again... No-one is forcing anyone to do this, even if it is implemented. If you don't like to go there to get it, then you don't it's not doing any harm to you whatsoever, other than perhaps feeling inferior to other players who indeed do take the time. I really don't understand the problem you see behind it. You can just be in the overland and gather herbs instead of picking them from your house... What would be stopping you or limiting you? :/
    Edited by Nyladreas on August 14, 2018 11:56AM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I personally support this idea Everytime it comes around. Though business side of me is worried what happens to ecomony then?
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Tasear wrote: »
    I personally support this idea Everytime it comes around. Though business side of me is worried what happens to ecomony then?

As long as you get a reasonable amount, just like a hireling would give then it's fine in my opinion.

If devs made those things drop 50 per herb then we have a problem. But I don't want that. It's mainly supposed to be for fun, immersion, whatever you have.

People need to stop looking at this wonderful idea from the side of greed. Don't let this stupid human trait ruin the fun we can have in the game.
    Edited by Nyladreas on August 14, 2018 12:00PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just confused... Why even have a house if you never go there? :/ Also who says it would have to be every character separately, with the idea I proposed that's not even possible. It would be an object that you harvest once in your house. It's not going to refresh for each of your characters....

Or maybe you can't simply translate a mechanic from a single player game (skyrim) to a multiplayer game such as this.

Not saying it isn't feasible to make a home grown garden one way or another, but simply being able to harvest a handful of plants once a day holds no appeal to me, when the overland has a neverending supply of them (why do I feel like I'm repeating myself for the third time now).

Nice touch calling people greedy and lazy because they don't agree with you btw.

Why do I have a house? Actually I have loads of houses, which should be obvious form my signature. I like decorating them, I like the creativity in it, making something beautiful from scratch. I don't particularly like hanging around in my houses for loads of time afterwards. I mean, what's the point? It's an instanced zone fit for nothing else than some RP withyour buddies, if you're into that (I'm not). I do show off my houses in showcases, like the ones in my signature, and I do take friends and aquaintances to my houses to show off my work. That's pretty much the only functionality that houses have at the moment, and no, being able to harvest a handful a plants daily doesn't make it more appealing to me to hang in my house. The only thing that would make houses more appealing to me is if they have some unique qualities and functionality, like a "well rested" bonus from using your own bed, like the current housing storage, like some unique spawning areas for rarer materials, or whatever else the dev team can come up with. Personally I would like more interaction with your housing furniture, like beds, baths and such. Right now they are just for show, and no difference between green items or purple and gold. Would be nice if a gold quality bed had more function than a green one and so on, though I imagine that too would be sort of hard to implement in a fair and yet interesting way.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!

Or maybe you can't simply translate a mechanic from a single player game (skyrim) to a multiplayer game such as this.

Not saying it isn't feasible to make a home grown garden one way or another, but simply being able to harvest a handful of plants once a day holds no appeal to me, when the overland has a neverending supply of them (why do I feel like I'm repeating myself for the third time now).

Nice touch calling people greedy and lazy because they don't agree with you btw.

Why do I have a house? Actually I have loads of houses, which should be obvious form my signature. I like decorating them, I like the creativity in it, making something beautiful from scratch. I don't particularly like hanging around in my houses for loads of time afterwards. I mean, what's the point? It's an instanced zone fit for nothing else than some RP withyour buddies, if you're into that (I'm not). I do show off my houses in showcases, like the ones in my signature, and I do take friends and aquaintances to my houses to show off my work. That's pretty much the only functionality that houses have at the moment, and no, being able to harvest a handful a plants daily doesn't make it more appealing to me to hang in my house. The only thing that would make houses more appealing to me is if they have some unique qualities and functionality, like a "well rested" bonus from using your own bed, like the current housing storage, like some unique spawning areas for rarer materials, or whatever else the dev team can come up with. Personally I would like more interaction with your housing furniture, like beds, baths and such. Right now they are just for show, and no difference between green items or purple and gold. Would be nice if a gold quality bed had more function than a green one and so on, though I imagine that too would be sort of hard to implement in a fair and yet interesting way.

I mean I don't want to call anyone greedy or lazy directly, don't take it the wrong way. It just seems to be root of the problem people have with the idea. I'm just sort of guessing here. When people say it would be way too time consuming and boring and bother them to log on 15 characters just to claim herbs it's kind of the first thing that pops into your mind.

Not trying to attack anyone, my friend.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I voted for this because of my fond memories of my houses in Skyrim, there are so many ways they could go with this.......

Seeds :- obtainable by rare drop only and maybe saleable?
    Gardening :- a new skill? Plants after all don't always grow well without help from us....... well in my garden's case, the weeds thrive my plants need help
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Id love something like this, and it would bring up the necessity of having a house in the first place.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I'd make there plantation of nirnroot, my garden would be the loudest in Tamriel
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I would like to grow Radishes as well.

Oh, and I reckon it should only harvestable once per day on the account and not a character-specific loot if you were to do this. It should have some reasonable limitations after all.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on August 14, 2018 1:07PM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I would like to grow Radishes as well.

Oh, and I reckon it should only harvestable once per day on the account and not a character-specific loot if you were to do this. It should have some reasonable limitations after all.

Oh yes! Let's add farming too.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Even if the yields of the crops/flowers are small, it would be worth my time to get one Columbine a day as part of a routine. My short farming routines don't always get the same flowers.

This idea could be combined with something to encourage players to log out in their house to receive a daily timed universal (gold, xp & ap?) bonus for logging in the next day from the house. The timer on the bonus would encourage people to log in and leave the house immediately to take advantage of the buff.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Lol the one guy who doesn't want people to have nice things!
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I'd make there plantation of nirnroot, my garden would be the loudest in Tamriel

<3
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I think this would be an excellent addition, since there is no alchemy hireling in the game.

Let's say we'd have up to 6 slots per home to plant herbs and other ingredients which you could harvest ONCE A DAY. To replant these herbs/ingredients you would have to use seeds you gather from herbs in the open world. Much like a hireling but better :)

It could come as a reward for writ vouchers and be added to the crown store, or perhaps just extremely expensive furnishing.

What do you guys think?

And what does ZOS think about this? @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_ChrisStrasz Dunno who else to tag :)

I think I had something similar to this in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Definitely a cool idea.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I just enjoy people talking about "upsetting the economy" as though it has some catastrophic global result. It's a game. What economic disaster is going to happen? Some who's used to selling a fictional product for in-game gold won't be able to anymore?
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    I just enjoy people talking about "upsetting the economy" as though it has some catastrophic global result. It's a game. What economic disaster is going to happen? Some who's used to selling a fictional product for in-game gold won't be able to anymore?

And I enjoy people who are ignorant to the fact that every MMO needs a balanced economical ecosystem, to combat inflation of the virtual currencies. Luckily most game developers are aware of that.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    I would like to see not only plants but also ore, wood, critter traps and jewelry seams. A few livestock and maybe a fish pond that can only be stocked with common fish.

Make it like a survey, a few nodes of high quantity, that can only be harvested once per week. Each node would have a set number of resources, no RNG. I think each type could have 5 nodes of 40 mats (a stack a week), not OP but still worth collecting. I think that could balance it between being worth using and not adversely affecting the economy.

I also think there should be craftable planting containers for people who don't own a house with a yard. The planters/gardens would have to be their own type of furnishing and you should only be able to have a limited number of each type based on the size of your house. I'm thinking one of each in a staple home, two of each in a classic home, and maybe four of each (max) in a notable home. If people wanted to max that out, millions of gold later, I still don't think they would be able to influence the economy.

Housing could be great if only ZOS would let it.
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Fishing too please.

There are live fish visible, swimming around in pools on artaeum, do we have that yet for housing? Want.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys think?
    But we'll get bees in our house. :disappointed:

• Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    This is just a good idea.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!

And I enjoy people who are ignorant to the fact that every MMO needs a balanced economical ecosystem, to combat inflation of the virtual currencies. Luckily most game developers are aware of that.

Or?
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sounds great!
    Seriously, walk me through the collapse that happens if people can grow alchemy reagents. I'm willing to learn.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, walk me through the collapse that happens if people can grow alchemy reagents. I'm willing to learn.

No need to, when other people have already done in-depth analyses of this,

and

for instance. If you need further information on the topic, you'll have to do the research yourself, there is plenty on the interwebz.

Edited by Carbonised on August 14, 2018 4:05PM