The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tank build (Character class and race)

OmahaStylee
OmahaStylee
Soul Shriven
What would the best class / race combo for a good tank?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian Dragonknight. Dragonknight because that class has good skills and resource return mechanisms for tanking and crowd control. Argonian for the passive granting healing received and potions restoring all resources.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A good tank? Literally all classes and races. All Tanks have all the tools they need to sustain, deep thoughts, crowd control, time stop, and stack mobs, silver leash. You have those skills on your tanks bar, you can do everything that you need to do outside of taunt of course.
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imo Argonian Warden are the strongest tanks. DragonKnight of course has the best crowd controlling abilities albeit at much higher costs. The warden netch is a constant feedback of stamina and the netch can be spammed while blocking for free heals. Couldn't go wrong on a DragonKnight either I have one of them too. Love tanking.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the player enjoys ;)
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choose something you like to look at, that's most likely not the argonian. They are the most popular at the moment but any race will work really. Ideally you want to decide what kind of tank you will be. Do you want to do the hardest content? Do you plan to go on 4 and/or 12 people content? What's your playstyle? You care to be a werewolf or vampire? Shields or Frost staves, or both? Magicka, stamina, both? Race first if you care about looks, race for last if you care about max performance.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian is a pretty big deal, especially if you plan to use some Infused Potion Speed glyphs.
    eisley the worst
  • Swen_von_Walhallion
    i like tankig with templar, he have great survivability, good magika sustain, best stamina sustain on big trash mob fights from all clasess, and is best debufer to enemy rezistance from all clases thx Power of the light. Bat on log boss fight without adds have problematic stamina sustain. And CC is problem to tme stop is nice but cannod be spamet as talon or this frozing thik form warden :/
    Adraria Argentum Draco - imperial Stamplar
    Bevdyen Tus Ntxhuav - Orc Stamplar
    Celestun Ira Dei- Imperial Tankplar
    Halldis Rautt Höfuð- Nord Tankplar
    Misawa Yoshike - Breton Healplar
    Lae'ozhael - Dunmer Magplar
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like tankig with templar, he have great survivability, good magika sustain, best stamina sustain on big trash mob fights from all clasess, and is best debufer to enemy rezistance from all clases thx Power of the light. Bat on log boss fight without adds have problematic stamina sustain. And CC is problem to tme stop is nice but cannod be spamet as talon or this frozing thik form warden :/

I like to tank in my argonian templar too, as breath of life is great for healing if the healer isn't very good. You can tank with any class though.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian Dragonknight running Balance ;)

because resources > everything else.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian DK. We can spend days arguing about who is in second place, but if you want the best combo, look no further.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DK’s first, daylight second.
    As for races. Argonians are probably top of the pile at the moment, those passives are just too good. Alternatively you’ve got Imperials, Nords and Orcs that can excel in toughest content.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good tank? Literally all classes and races. All Tanks have all the tools they need to sustain, deep thoughts, crowd control, time stop, and stack mobs, silver leash. You have those skills on your tanks bar, you can do everything that you need to do outside of taunt of course.

So wrong. Everything you say sounds good on paper, but doesn't work in hard content where you would actually see if the tank is "good".

Deep thoughts requires you to drop block for an extended period of time. This makes you vulnerable to many forms of CC, including knockdown from heavy attacks. To use this effectively you would need to use something that gives you immunity to those effects (heavy armor skill, 1hs ulti, pots), and all of those either cost resources to begin with or are better used on something else.

Time stop is just bad. If you need to snare the targets, you're better off using caltrops, and if you need to hold them in place, it doesn't work because of the 4s buildup time. Go try using it on scarabs in vFL hm, that's what I tried to do on my templar until I just switched to DK because time stop is useless.

Silver leash, yeah, it's cool. Not as cool as a mag skill, but it's usable.

And there are a few things you haven't mentioned. "Good" tanks will also have effective self heals that would allow them to stay alive without a healer. DKs have good ones, wardens have good ones, NBs have a good one, sorcs need a pet to use it, but if they can keep it alive, it's the best, and Templars are stuck stacking max magicka and spell damage if they want to be on par, which is going against everything that is required of tanks. So in the self heals department you have 3/5 classes that are good 1 situationally good and 1 utter trash.

Then there is the issue of buff sets. If you want to be a good tank, you have to be able to survive (and maintain resources) while wearing ebon and alkosh and using your ulti frequently and exclusively on war horn. Only DKs and wardens fit this bill.

So when it comes to classes I'd say it goes like this...
    "Good":
    1. DK
    2. Warden
    "Ok":
    3. NB
    "Don't waste your time":
    4. Sorc
    5. Templar

As for races, I'd say the gap is less pronounced. The best is definitely Argonian, but if it fits your build, you can make anything work without too much of an issue.
  • Swen_von_Walhallion
    well time stop is awesome, you only need know how use it. Its need some skills and predicting of enemy move. I using it a lot on my tankplar. And as Tankplar i rarely need self heal, thx chaneling focus i rarely have problem with mana, and is easy prevent most of dmg with Radiant ward. And compare to other clases i never have problem with dots and other defubs bc i can just purge them. And chaneling focus + radiant ward + extended ritual + master ritulist give me enough protection to res healer when he die. And when is some trash around is nothing easier and cheaper then repetence to heals self or teammates around you. Or on fihgt with mutliple mobs you can use Empowering Sweep ulti to get nasty dmg reduction and you can spam it rly often bc is one of chepest ultis in game. When you want play and be good with tankplar you need lots of pratice and know your clase well. With Dk you need just copy paste build form alcast.

And Tankplar have one unique thig whch have no other class, as templar you have best rezist debufing, bc as tank you can hold on boss minor fracture/breach + major fracture/breach

BTW i have DK and Warden tanks but prefer tanking with templar. And Tankplar have one unique thig whch have no other class, as templar you have best rezist debufing, bc as tank you can hold on boss minor fracture/breach + major fracture/brech
    Adraria Argentum Draco - imperial Stamplar
    Bevdyen Tus Ntxhuav - Orc Stamplar
    Celestun Ira Dei- Imperial Tankplar
    Halldis Rautt Höfuð- Nord Tankplar
    Misawa Yoshike - Breton Healplar
    Lae'ozhael - Dunmer Magplar