The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Major defile. Why does this status existsagain?

gannicus1389
gannicus1389
✭✭✭
I personally think major defile harms stamina classes more than anything. it is almost an indirect buff to sorcs as they already have crappy heals, but depend on big shields to survive.

I personally think a stats like major defile should not exist while it doesn't affect really shields.

I would like to see it thermajor defile affecting shields or have it just be deleted of the game.
Edited by gannicus1389 on August 10, 2018 8:00PM
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Defile debuff exists because theres Mending and Vitality buff. You cant debuff damage shields because there is no increase damage shield buff.
    Edited by Ankael07 on August 10, 2018 8:08PM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healtanks that's why, I agree that it hurts other classes more than those wich its supposed to counter
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GJBdwyS.png
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A noobie making a thread before he even is max level does not have the understanding of how the game works, that is why the class reps had to have 1000 days in game time. You dont know what you're talking about. -Edit I have been here since beta.
  • Ampnode
    Ampnode
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laziness and lack of creativity towards proper heal balancing. The good part about it is that it's to counter Major Mending/Vitality; however, those who don't have access to those buffs become nearly defenseless while those who do have access to those buffs have normal healing. Much like how Sload's was created to counter tanks, but hurts those who aren't tanks the most.

As for affecting shields? Yeah, it's annoying having to pound away at a sorc's shields until he runs out of magicka and inevitably dies, but this is also a lazy and non-creative idea to balance shields.
    PC NA - CP640+

Characters:
    Amp - Magicka Nightblade
    Amp - Magicka Sorcerer
    Amp - Magicka Templar
    Amp - Stamina Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Templar
    Amp - Magicka Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Sorcerer
    Amp - Stamina Nightblade
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol!
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because if you played any amount of time in PVP; you'd understand why it exists.

• Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To counter healers/tanks I guess.

As a stamsorc with no major healing/vitality I find it really hard to deal with sometimes in no cp, epecially when having multiple sloads/bleeds on me.
    Edited by Crixus8000 on August 11, 2018 1:11AM
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't pound on a sorc till his magic depletes...you pound on a sorc till his stamina is gone...
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention you claim that defile is the counter for major vitality and major mending?!

You realize how incredibly difficult it is to keep up major mending? Let alone vitality. You have one monster set which pretty much only applies vitality if ur close enough to be hitting ur target...which you shouldn't be if ur trying to defend! Vitality and mending argument may have worked before the insanely unneeded nerfs to templar and Malubeth.

Defiles don't target heal tanks anyway. Heal tanks just purge their defiles away unless...your wearing duroks bane. Or a stamblade...or a toon with ridiculously easy ways to get defile. Defile needs to be as hard to get as major mending or major vitality not 10 times easier to get
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    A noobie making a thread before he even is max level does not have the understanding of how the game works, that is why the class reps had to have 1000 days in game time. You dont know what you're talking about. -Edit I have been here since beta.

maybe you could answer my question instead
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Defile debuff exists because theres Mending and Vitality buff. You cant debuff damage shields because there is no increase damage shield buff.

I understand that. However, it is easier to have access to major defile than major mending.. is it not?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you go against really good players, especially stam players actually; and you dont have defile. You quickly see why it is needed. Really a lot of problems trace back to the best offense stats also buffing active defenses and healing and the counter has been powerful debufs in both Maim and Defile. Could use some adjusting as it is pretty ridiculous but its like a necessary evil right now.
  • Ampnode
    Ampnode
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    You don't pound on a sorc till his magic depletes...you pound on a sorc till his stamina is gone...

This is... half-correct. You should not be running out of stamina on any magicka build, with the exception of block builds of course. On the non-block magicka builds I do play on, I've never had an instance where I thought to myself, "Man, I wish I had more stamina there." Your statement only applies to magicka users who are new to PvPing on a magicka build, which is where you'd be correct.

Building towards having sufficient stamina should be something every magicka user should touch up on because it's a big weakness when you neglect it. In high MMR BGs, magicka builds in general tend to not get stamina depleted because they've put this into consideration. Plus, templars usually throw down shards regularly.
    Not to mention you claim that defile is the counter for major vitality and major mending?!

You realize how incredibly difficult it is to keep up major mending? Let alone vitality. You have one monster set which pretty much only applies vitality if ur close enough to be hitting ur target...which you shouldn't be if ur trying to defend! Vitality and mending argument may have worked before the insanely unneeded nerfs to templar and Malubeth.

Defiles don't target heal tanks anyway. Heal tanks just purge their defiles away unless...your wearing duroks bane. Or a stamblade...or a toon with ridiculously easy ways to get defile. Defile needs to be as hard to get as major mending or major vitality not 10 times easier to get

I did say why they exist, but did you see where I also said Major Defile isn't a good thing? I don't like Major Defile just as much as the majority of the PvP community does because I'm being punished for something I don't have, and that's access to Major Mending/Vitality. There needs to be encouragement for Mending/Vitality/Defile reworks as a whole rather than wanting to affect even more players with this blanket fix to healing.

Just wait until next patch where healers become even more out of control because defile was nerfed to have cooldowns, which is yet again another blanket fix to a problem. The defile will be purged immediately and the healers will have a large window of pumping out max heals.
    PC NA - CP640+

Characters:
    Amp - Magicka Nightblade
    Amp - Magicka Sorcerer
    Amp - Magicka Templar
    Amp - Stamina Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Templar
    Amp - Magicka Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Sorcerer
    Amp - Stamina Nightblade
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think major defile harms stamina classes more than anything. it is almost an indirect buff to sorcs as they already have crappy heals, but depend on big shields to survive.

I personally think a stats like major defile should not exist while it doesn't affect really shields.

I would like to see it thermajor defile affecting shields or have it just be deleted of the game.

Sorcs cannot inflict major defile, they need to use s+b for it, but that's a crippled sorc then.
  • gannicus1389
    gannicus1389
    ✭✭✭
    Ampnode wrote: »

This is... half-correct. You should not be running out of stamina on any magicka build, with the exception of block builds of course. On the non-block magicka builds I do play on, I've never had an instance where I thought to myself, "Man, I wish I had more stamina there." Your statement only applies to magicka users who are new to PvPing on a magicka build, which is where you'd be correct.

Building towards having sufficient stamina should be something every magicka user should touch up on because it's a big weakness when you neglect it. In high MMR BGs, magicka builds in general tend to not get stamina depleted because they've put this into consideration. Plus, templars usually throw down shards regularly.

I did say why they exist, but did you see where I also said Major Defile isn't a good thing? I don't like Major Defile just as much as the majority of the PvP community does because I'm being punished for something I don't have, and that's access to Major Mending/Vitality. There needs to be encouragement for Mending/Vitality/Defile reworks as a whole rather than wanting to affect even more players with this blanket fix to healing.

Just wait until next patch where healers become even more out of control because defile was nerfed to have cooldowns, which is yet again another blanket fix to a problem. The defile will be purged immediately and the healers will have a large window of pumping out max heals.

I agree. healers make or break a game, but that is with most mmos out there.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Defile exists because mending and vitality exists.

As far as shields go... Yeah they're too powerful in PvE, and shield stacking is too powerful in PvP.

Not sure what the best solution would be. Maybe limit the tool tip of a shield to your max health?
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm guessing you haven't seen what it does to healing ward.

Because it basically makes it heal for nearly nothing at times.

Most (not all) stamina have rally and vigor. Many magicka classes need to rely on healing ward to heal... which on top of not being truly controllable as to where it will go is also wrecked by major defile.

I'm guessing it will be different next content patch as the major defile that is the most trouble (lethal arrow) is being gutted to 4 seconds from 10 seconds (which is the exact timing of healing ward's heal).
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing you haven't seen what it does to healing ward.

Because it basically makes it heal for nearly nothing at times.

Most (not all) stamina have rally and vigor. Many magicka classes need to rely on healing ward to heal... which on top of not being truly controllable as to where it will go is also wrecked by major defile.

I'm guessing it will be different next content patch as the major defile that is the most trouble (lethal arrow) is being gutted to 4 seconds from 10 seconds (which is the exact timing of healing ward's heal).

kitten, healing ward heal you at the begining (used to go outside of execute range) and after 6s if the shield is still there.
  • Stratforge
    Stratforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healing is overtuned in this game. It would be miserable without defile.
    PC NA
    Xbox One NA (retired)
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If major defile were removed, ESO PVP would likely die. As it is, it can be difficult to kill a well-rounded PVP build. Remove Defile and nothing would die, ever. Especially in CP campaigns.

Second, but related, being unable to kill anyone is probably the least fun thing that you could possibly do in Cyo, IMO. Those of us who have been around long enough to remember tank/heal metas can probably relate w/ me on this.

*edit: pro-tip for making quality threads. Never suggest that anything should be "deleted from the game." It's not helpful and doesn't do anyone any favors...
    Edited by kadar on August 11, 2018 7:35PM
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it’s the only counter balance to rampant healplars. Guessing you missed that meta. It was dumb AF and still a handful to deal with if you get 3-4 if they together in a group.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major Defile is an indirect buff to Sorcs? And I thought after years of reading the forum I had seen every reason why Sorc is presumably OP.

FYI, Sorcs have the fewest major and minor buffs in their class toolkit. Major Sorcery/Brutality, Minor Prophecy, Major Expedition, Major Ward/Resolve, Minor Ward/Resolve. That’s it.

Yes I get it, you can’t defile shields. We don’t get any of the healing buffs either though.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it’s the only counter balance to rampant healplars. Guessing you missed that meta. It was dumb AF and still a handful to deal with if you get 3-4 if they together in a group.

Not only healplars try kill a competent well geared stam user without defile. My stamden, stamdk, stamblade, stamsorc won't get killed in a 1v1 without defile if they rocking heavy.

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gl killing two cross healing magplar with defile.

Tbh it's nearly impossible even with it as it just gets purged.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

Sorcs cannot inflict major defile, they need to use s+b for it, but that's a crippled sorc then.

There is lethal arrow
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Major Defile is an indirect buff to Sorcs? And I thought after years of reading the forum I had seen every reason why Sorc is presumably OP.

FYI, Sorcs have the fewest major and minor buffs in their class toolkit. Major Sorcery/Brutality, Minor Prophecy, Major Expedition, Major Ward/Resolve, Minor Ward/Resolve. That’s it.

Yes I get it, you can’t defile shields. We don’t get any of the healing buffs either though.

You get Major Vitality from restraining prison which is the strongest self healing buff in the game.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »

You get Major Vitality from restraining prison which is the strongest self healing buff in the game.

Technically that’s true. If you can name one Sorc who has a bar slot for that outside of group play I’ll be impressed. That’s like saying magWarden doesn’t need a stun because they have class access to major breach.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.