Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you be in favor of introducing new, Bind-on-Creation crafted sets?

Feric51
Feric51
✭✭✭✭✭
I love crafting, and I love reading through the crafting sub-forum on here more than the other because there is generally less toxicity than in the mosh pit called 'General Discussion,' so I wanted to introduce a possibility of gear to gauge the community's interest. I'm not going into this with any expectations on responses, but would ask that we keep it constructive regardless if you agree or disagree.

Originally, ESO sold us on the premise that crafted gear would offer players the ultimate utility, but as most people would agree, outside of a couple mainstream sets (Julianos/Hundings) and a handful of more niche sets (Sload's, Shacklebreaker, NMG, Mechanical Acuity) most crafted sets are subpar, at best, and downright worthless for a large majority save for completion of master writs. I understand the concern that by creating new crafted sets (or renovating existing ones) would make it too easy for everyone in the game to acquire the new meta and devalue current BiS gear that comes from endgame content like trials, vMA, and dungeons.

So...... how about a new take on crafted gear. Who says crafted gear must be unbound? What if we introduced new, 9-trait sets that were a step above what's currently available in the crafting professions, but made them effectively "Bind-on-Creation" so that only the person who crafts it is able to wear them? I think the reward(s) for becoming a "Grand Master Crafter" should extend into gameplay somewhat, and not just be all about cosmetics and titles.

This would potentially benefit at least two types of players:
- Those who can't (for whatever reason) complete end-game content to acquire the current BiS gear. I personally fall into this category, and will admit I'm not the most skilled player, but I'm also a parent with only an hour or two to play at night and must be able to jump up at a moments notice to look after one of my kids if something comes up - that's not something that would fly very well with a vet trial group, lol. So not being able to complete end-game content isn't only restricted to the crowd who needs to 'git gud.'
- The people who mainly PvP and currently feel forced to do PvE content they don't like just to acquire gear. Again, I know many players who are master crafters but prefer to only do PvP content. They can absolutely do hard mode PvE content when they have to, but they prefer not to. This would benefit them just the same.

Yes, it will potentially anger folks who make a living dragging people through the current content to acquire gear, and to all those who have grinded for months/years to finally get that last piece they need, but I'm not saying to make those sets worthless. I'm just asking for there to be some level of crafted gear that can compete with the current meta. And let's face it, becoming a 9-trait crafter requires a certain level of dedication, even though some might not say skill, to reach. I think it's high time we see something for our efforts.

Edit - These would be ACCOUNT bound, not character bound. I was unclear on this originally, and several people have called that out. This gear would be accessible to any/all characters on your account, not just the crafting character that creates it.

As always, I'm open to suggestions and constructive criticism so feel free to elaborate on your response.
Edited by Feric51 on August 15, 2018 7:20PM
Feric51
Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

Would you be in favor of introducing new, Bind-on-Creation crafted sets? 75 votes

Yes - explain.
57%
calitrumanb14_ESOTrollwutAnkaridangward39b16_ESO2ShareeThestephenmcraeub17_ESOAshtarisTerraDewBerryHaenkTaleof2CitiesLuciusEsoxKelcessmacx250Emma_OverloadApheriusDefiltedRunsSmitch_59MattT1988Dracan_Fontom 43 votes
No - explain.
40%
GilvothDeadlyRecluseotis67Hrogunola.wilhelmssonb16_ESOidkHidesFromSunJKorrEvilKiwiLettigallCorpierLumsdenmlHiLyfe808GuyNamedSeanshadowwraith666Lieblingsjungewolfie1.0.MureelDBZVelenaNaughty_Ryder 30 votes
Other
2%
jedtb16_ESOTBois 2 votes
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually mentioned this a few times. Especially in all those threads about how there is really no value to being a 9 trait crafter.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    I would like to have something like this also. But it's hard to keep something nice as a crafter, because there are always those screams for nerfs. Apparently, those things are not "properly earned", it is viewed as "cheap" by most compared to everything else.

I would definitely vote for that, but I'm probably among a minority. :grin:
    Edited by Kelces on August 8, 2018 5:58PM
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    If that had originally been the design of crafting, I'd be fine with it.

There are people around who have played for years, but never leveled out there crafting because they could get it done with a help from friends/guilds etc.

To burn them now by making some crafted gear out of their reach would be a little unpalatable.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.

There are people around who have played for years, but never leveled out there crafting because they could get it done with a help from friends/guilds etc.

To burn them now by making some crafted gear out of their reach would be a little unpalatable.

Well, it could be completely new sets, not one of the current ones necessarely.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    Kelces wrote: »

Well, it could be completely new sets, not one of the current ones necessarely.

Doesn't really make it better.

I have all 9 traits on everything except for 7 on rings, for instance. I have a friend who never bothered to level his because I craft for him, as sharing crafted stuff is one of the social hallmarks of the game since it's beginning.

So, if a hypothetical set was released that was "bind on creation" and it was desirable, he'd be out of luck....based on a decision he made when the game launched (that was a completely sound decision given the stated design of crafting at that time).
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.

I do appreciate that point of view, that wasn't something I had considered. However, it's not necessarily without precedent to some degree. Although fundamentally different, the change to trial and dungeon sets being made BoP instead of BoE could have had the same effect on a lot of players. Granted developing the skill to run the content necessary to get BoP gear may or may not take longer than becoming a 9-trait crafter, it is still similar in the vein that before the change, anyone could buy the gear rather than do the content necessary to achieve it.

Taking a devil's advocate point of view, ZOS would probably look at your concern with glee as a way to push crown store research scrolls to let folks like your friend play "catch up." In this regard, it is a lot easier, albeit more expensive, for new players and old players alike to max out the crafting profession, so your friend wouldn't be left totally without options.

On a lighter note, regarding your last sentence, I'm almost 9-trait on rings and 8 on necklaces but I still feel crafting a purple/gold ring is going to be forever out of my reach with the current state, lol.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    Feric51 wrote: »
    On a lighter note, regarding your last sentence, I'm almost 9-trait on rings and 8 on necklaces but I still feel crafting a purple/gold ring is going to be forever out of my reach with the current state, lol.

....part of me wants to splurge and upgrade one for the achievement. But yeah, at the moment it's a bit absurd, lol.
    Taking a devil's advocate point of view, ZOS would probably look at your concern with glee as a way to push crown store research scrolls to let folks like your friend play "catch up." In this regard, it is a lot easier, albeit more expensive, for new players and old players alike to max out the crafting profession, so your friend wouldn't be left totally without options.

Yes, that's absolutely true. But I don't think it's a practice/philosophy we should encourage as a playerbase (handicapping players in order to sell crown shortcuts).
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Your idea is well thought out, @Feric51.

Even though I support it, I still feel like these types of ideas mask the real issue ... which is that ZOS doesn’t care about buffing the underperforming crafted sets.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    If this is just 1 or 2 sets Yes. If this is the new way to make crafting , then No. I would rather keep crafting as is, then change it. Again is ZOS adds a couple sets that are Bind on creation then so be it, but that for me would have to be the extent of it.

XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Defilted wrote: »
    If this is just 1 or 2 sets Yes. If this is the new way to make crafting , then No. I would rather keep crafting as is, then change it. Again is ZOS adds a couple sets that are Bind on creation then so be it, but that for me would have to be the extent of it.

I would implement it similarly to how new sets are currently introduced.

Currently - we get several BoE overland sets, several BoE crafted sets, several BoP dungeon/trial sets, and BoP monster sets (if relevant) - every time a new DLC/Chapter is released.

If BoC craftable sets were introduced it would be plausible to introduce 1-2 sets per DLC, (1 stam dps & 1 mag dps) sets on one update, (1 tank & 1 healer) sets the next update and so on. Chapters might be able to introduce four at once (one of each).

These would be in addition to standard BoE craftable sets. But let's be honest. How many people would be upset if certain sets got phased out overtime? Do people actually craft/wear Song of Lamae, Ashen Grip, Trial by Fire, Willow's Path or Way of the Arena? Some of these could disappear via hot patch and nobody would ever realize they were gone. Maybe thinning out or keeping the name and completely reworking these sets would be necessary to facilitate a BoC introduction.

Edited by Feric51 on August 8, 2018 8:32PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    I am not a fan of BoP gear in general, and would like to see it ALL go away. Thus, I can’t be in favor of adding a mechanic I already dislike to crafting.

That said, if the developers insist on this BoP mechanic, I would very, very much like to craft any and all BoP gear if it was bound the instant I crafted it. Access to gear sets is a constant creative obstacle for me, and I would love it to just go away. There are many gear sets I would like to use on my characters, but can’t because they are basically inacessible to me.
    Edited by Starlock on August 8, 2018 10:58PM
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Would offer another reason to be a crafter, so I approve. I wouldn't think they should be too powerful though, but maybe better than other crafted sets.

There is one set in game that I believe should be this way already.

Armor of the Trainee Set, should be a 0 trait BOP set that is automatically crafted with the training trait even if you don't know training yet. I mean you should be able to craft all the traits, but if you know 0 it should auto be training trait.

Let new players actually be able to craft something partially useful while they work on researching traits.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    I'm not sure, however it would make being a crafter relatively pointless. I do make my own gear, potions, glyphs, etc. Most of my characters are max level, so I've already done their cp160 gear. The majority of the crafting I do is for guildmates, or random new players occasionally. If I can't craft for others there would be no point in farming mats, unless I want to do writs. Besides the gold, there wouldn't be much point in the writs. Or the master writs; nothing I want anymore that I would need vouchers for. Not much point in buying motifs anymore either, unless its a style I really like since I'll only be crafting for me.
    Edited by JKorr on August 9, 2018 1:37PM
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Yes, I would finally feel rewarded for beeing a 9Trait crafter. I feel that it's time we get some rep for putting time into crafting skills.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Starlock wrote: »
    I am not a fan of BoP gear in general, and would like to see it ALL go away. Thus, I can’t be in favor of adding a mechanic I already dislike to crafting.

That said, if the developers insist on this BoP mechanic, I would very, very much like to craft any and all BoP gear if it was bound the instant I crafted it. Access to gear sets is a constant creative obstacle for me, and I would love it to just go away. There are many gear sets I would like to use on my characters, but can’t because they are basically inacessible to me.

Before i had eso+ i was in a guild dedicated to crafting so we had every attunable crafting station from every dlc that's how i crafted those gears
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Great idea. There ought to be some significant reward for all the time and effort it takes to max out crafting.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    No, because it would just make the "too many sets" situation worse.

I'd be happier if they'd made the crafted sets fewer, (maybe just one light, one medium, one heavy, or one DPS, one Tank, one healer) but let you select the set benefits the way you do skills, with your crafting abilities unlocking those options.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    DarkScatha wrote: »
    Yes, I would finally feel rewarded for beeing a 9Trait crafter. I feel that it's time we get some rep for putting time into crafting skills.

How would you get some reputation for putting time into crafting skills, when you will be the only one who can use the gear you make? Not like you could give the special gear to any friends/guildies, cause it would be instantly bound to you.

• TopKicks
    TopKicks
    Yes - explain.
    Great idea to reward people that put the time and effort into learning to craft.
  • My_Treehawk
    My_Treehawk
    ✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    JKorr wrote: »
    I'm not sure, however it would make being a crafter relatively pointless. I do make my own gear, potions, glyphs, etc. Most of my characters are max level, so I've already done their cp160 gear. The majority of the crafting I do is for guildmates, or random new players occasionally. If I can't craft for others there would be no point in farming mats, unless I want to do writs. Besides the gold, there wouldn't be much point in the writs. Or the master writs; nothing I want anymore that I would need vouchers for. Not much point in buying motifs anymore either, unless its a style I really like since I'll only be crafting for me.

I believe that you are looking at this from a perspective other than the one I have. As I see it I would continue to craft the current sets, just as I have been for guild-mates and customers, however, I'd have an optional set(s) I could create just for myself.

I agree with the idea, but might consider an easier approach. Perhaps the MW Vendor could sell a Master Crafting Upgrade to improve a currently available set, making it a "master crafted version" - these would be BiC (account bound), and could not be shared as well. In this way we could see the implementation before they have had to create entirely new sets (which they could, later). This would also give me a new voucher dump as I upgraded the various pieces of my gear.
    Edited by My_Treehawk on August 13, 2018 9:20PM
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    JKorr wrote: »
    DarkScatha wrote: »

How would you get some reputation for putting time into crafting skills, when you will be the only one who can use the gear you make? Not like you could give the special gear to any friends/guildies, cause it would be instantly bound to you.

Zone chat and MYra.gif

XBox-EU
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    not against the idea in principle, but...

the reason i made a grand master crafter was so i could craft everything for my alts.

making the gear character bound defeats that object. if it were account bound i would support the idea.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.

the reason i made a grand master crafter was so i could craft everything for my alts.

making the gear character bound defeats that object. if it were account bound i would support the idea.

I was a little unclear, but I meant to state this would be account bound. I don't expect everyone to have 15 Grand Master Crafters. Doing it once should be enough!

So yes, you would be able to able to craft this gear for your whole account.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Sure, maybe a tri stat bonus set with the 5th bonus being a chance to increase the yield of nodes. Maybe it increases the chance of refining gold mats. A set tailored to crafting or farming.

Idk if making a bis PvP/PvE set like this would go over well, or force people into crafting all of the sudden.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other

I was a little unclear, but I meant to state this would be account bound. I don't expect everyone to have 15 Grand Master Crafters. Doing it once should be enough!

So yes, you would be able to able to craft this gear for your whole account.

ah, ok... in that case i am in favour, sadly can't change my vote.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - explain.
    1. I don’t see the point of having BoP crafted gear. OP doesn’t say anything to support such an idea.

2. Zos never says crafted gear would provide ultimate utility. They did say something like crafted gear will be better than drop gear. Often BiS builds have had crafted sets but it’s not possible to ensure crafted sets are always great without manning drop sets trash.

To OPs point, outside of maybe a handful of crafted sets that are good there are many tha aren’t. Well, there is even more drop sets that are not worth wearing. With as many sets as we have there will obviously he many not worth wearing.
  • My_Treehawk
    My_Treehawk
    ✭✭
    Yes - explain.
    Sure, maybe a tri stat bonus set with the 5th bonus being a chance to increase the yield of nodes. Maybe it increases the chance of refining gold mats. A set tailored to crafting or farming.

Its funny you mentioned these as my guild and I were just discussing some ideas behind what we called Master Crafter Jewelry sets. We were thinking of something that would be of special interest to crafters, and came up with three new sets of jewelry - one from farming nodes, one for fishing and one for crafting - each providing a small reward for these practices. We chose jewelry as it seemed the most logical for this purpose as far as creation (Dev) and use in game.

While we (my guild) was very interested in something as such, we did not think that the community would be so we doubted the Dev's would even consider it.

Edited by My_Treehawk on August 13, 2018 9:18PM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - explain.

Leveling crafting is the easiest thing to do in this game. You can do it alone, at your own pace. You can even buy time saving training scrolls in the Crown store if you are in a hurry to learn traits.

Nothing about crafting is out of reach to anybody.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I would be in favor of this if the sets didn't buff combat but buffed crafting and farmin
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    Yes - explain.
    I like it. Give more incentive to crafters. Just because other people would have to work for it doesn't mean it's imbalanced. I've read a few arguments here that it would be "unfair for other players who never spent time crafting to have to catch up" but isn't that pretty much the philosophy behind everything in this game?

*They should stop introducing new gear sets with new dungeons and trials, because my main didn't spend time gearing and training for PvE, so it would be unfair to expect me to catch up for those gear sets!*

Of course not everyone is going to be able to access new gear sets immediately. You have to work for them. That's what keeps MMOs going. If you want the set, work for it.

Plus, crafters don't really have a lot of incentive to become master crafters, as I imagine would be necessary to create a gear set that would be Bind on Creation. Right now we get a cool hammer and a title...yippee. Oh, and sometimes we get to make things for guildies. Master writs are nice incentive if you like housing items, but that's just spending countless hours and skill points in crafting so you can access different parts of a new gold sink. I'd be hard pressed to call that real incentive.