The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[OFFICIAL ANSWER] Players can run multiple accounts at the same time

SiegeMerchant
SiegeMerchant
✭✭✭
i think we can stop debates now
i got an answer

clipboard2.1533365344.png

you also need to check this thread, @Epona222
@Exstazik
Edited by SiegeMerchant on August 4, 2018 7:18AM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best and clearest answer I've seen. Thanks!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    did this need its own thread?
    also old news, most mmo let you run multiple accounts at once. Ppl in ff11 used to do a concept of duel boxing to power level characters.
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • SiegeMerchant
    SiegeMerchant
    ✭✭✭
    also old news, most mmo let you run multiple accounts at once. Ppl in ff11 used to do a concept of duel boxing to power level characters.

yes, because some users are so blatant and already two big topics was about it, when they start argue its a bannable offence lol
    like @Epona222
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the characters have a boxing duel in a ring or something? :D
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »

Did the characters have a boxing duel in a ring or something? :D

typo but happy to get a laugh.

i mean dual. :D
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭

yes, because some users are so blatant and already two big topics was about it, when they start argue its a bannable offence lol
    like @Epona222

never read any MMO ToS that forbade it. ESO forums has some odd arguments. been playing mmo since 2004 and some of the threads i've seen making me scratch my head and wonder "how many mmo did people play"

like the thread wanting an eso offline mode which is impossible to do.
  • SiegeMerchant
    SiegeMerchant
    ✭✭✭
    will be nice to see a poll - how many accounts you have
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you have 2 accounts running on the same computer? You cant run the eso launcher multiple times on one system.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    How can you have 2 accounts running on the same computer? You cant run the eso launcher multiple times on one system.

most have 2 machine running the game on 2 separate accounts.
    which was, what the og thread that started this was about.
    Edited by Azuramoonstar on August 4, 2018 9:23AM
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can, if you use shortcuts. Your computer will become very slow, but it is possible.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can, if you use shortcuts. Your computer will become very slow, but it is possible.

Or directly from eso.exe. no need to run from launcher
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have two accounts and I've sometimes logged both in so that a character on one can port to character on the other. Good to know I won't get banned for this. :)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think we can stop debates now
    i got an answer

clipboard2.1533365344.png

you also need to check this thread, @Epona222
    @Exstazik

This confirms what Jessica said back in 2015. Thanks for getting a current update.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for info.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At this point I think @ZOS_JessicaFolsom or @ZOS_GinaBruno needs to come in here and make an official statement. Jessica's is 3 years old and both responses seem to be more about inventory management.

Running 12 accounts at the same time while one does all the work, level the other 11 and getting 11 extra drops is not quite the same thing. Allowing this is allowing gold and account sellers to openly do business.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    At this point I think @ZOS_JessicaFolsom or @ZOS_GinaBruno needs to come in here and make an official statement. Jessica's is 3 years old and both responses seem to be more about inventory management.

Running 12 accounts at the same time while one does all the work, level the other 11 and getting 11 extra drops is not quite the same thing. Allowing this is allowing gold and account sellers to openly do business.

At this point, unless the image at the top of this thread is a fraud, there is little reason for them to come in here and repeat something that was said, and is apparently unchanged, since 2015.
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

At this point, unless the image at the top of this thread is a fraud, there is little reason for them to come in here and repeat something that was said, and is apparently unchanged, since 2015.

Except someone was just banned for doing exactly what I mentioned.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • SiegeMerchant
    SiegeMerchant
    ✭✭✭

that ban its just coincidence, usually ZOs didnt ban for that, looks like alot ppl reported him
    same as my friend back in 2014 was banned because he had too many Kuta's in inventory
    he was re-seller, zos said its exploitation of economy and banned him
    but its just 1 example, very rare, and typically based on human error, zos support staff also not robots and they have their opinion
    Edited by SiegeMerchant on August 4, 2018 3:24PM
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭

every time i log in my launcher stays up so i can log in again if i want. it has been like this from day one over a year ago. for me to run two accounts on this game i would have to turn the graphics down really low as this game uses a lot of memory.

i am not sure why anyone would want to "box" now days as far too many players equate boxing with botting just out of pure ignorance.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

running 12 accounts and controlling each one of them individually? are you SURE he wasn't using some sort of software to turn the 11 follower accounts into bots? because individually controlling 12 accounts at a time is incredibly time consuming and can get confusing.. cause... you know 12 instances of the game and all. it can turn into somewhat a drag even with just 2 accounts on 2 separate PC's sitting side by side and having to switch between keyboards and screens constantly, since there isn't even a /follow command in ESO like there is in WoW, for example..
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would not complain if one person bought my product twice to help themselves.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

running 12 accounts and controlling each one of them individually? are you SURE he wasn't using some sort of software to turn the 11 follower accounts into bots? because individually controlling 12 accounts at a time is incredibly time consuming and can get confusing.. cause... you know 12 instances of the game and all. it can turn into somewhat a drag even with just 2 accounts on 2 separate PC's sitting side by side and having to switch between keyboards and screens constantly, since there isn't even a /follow command in ESO like there is in WoW, for example..

I've seen people do the multiple accounts for leveling thing. They go to a dense area with a central safe zone for mobs, park all but one account there in stealth, and then just control one account to run around and do the grinding. If all the accounts are grouped then they're sharing XP and loot, so you just alt-tab to every other account and grab bodies.

Now, I'm reasonably certain last time this came up that that method was considered unacceptable and ban-worthy, but it's been literally years so I don't know. I DO know with absolute certainty that just logging onto multiple accounts is fine, and that the problem comes when you perform certain behaviors while logged in, like simultaneous play. Using alts to take screenshots of your main account characters and that sort of thing, though? Totally acceptable.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has always been the case. It’s ridiculous to expect anything other than this to be the case. Automation is illegal but if you own multiple accounts there’s no reason you can’t log into all of them and do anything that does not involve automation.

I can’t believe people are in here trying to make up lies about how this used to be illegal either, I’ve literally done this since launch and it was specifically addressed prior to this post. These people shouldn’t be taken seriously.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 4, 2018 6:48PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be pretty meaningless without a clear indication of how multiple accounts were used, at least in the context of this thread. I suspect a lot of players have a second account, but mostly for additional character slots either as mules or as individual characters, or else for other family members. I doubt many run both accounts together, and few of those that do would admit to it for fear of falling foul of the TOS.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

It would be pretty meaningless without a clear indication of how multiple accounts were used, at least in the context of this thread. I suspect a lot of players have a second account, but mostly for additional character slots either as mules or as individual characters, or else for other family members. I doubt many run both accounts together, and few of those that do would admit to it for fear of falling foul of the TOS.

Given what Jessica and Kevin have said, it is pretty easy to avoid falling afoul of things while being logged on simultaneously. :smile:
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Given what Jessica and Kevin have said, it is pretty easy to avoid falling afoul of things while being logged on simultaneously. :smile:

Not necessarily, it's all pretty uncertain and contradictory. Nothing Kevin said in the quote above rules out running a dungeon with two accounts so long as there's no third party programs involved (he specifically said that you can take several accounts online at the same time), while Jessica so far as I can recall said that if you were running multiple accounts simultaneously then it would be assumed that you were using third party programs - which isn't necessarily the case at all.

Kevin's response is helpful, but it doesn't provide total clarity.

Where I would say it is a lot easier in theory "to avoid falling afoul of things while being logged on simultaneously" is if you are running the accounts on separate machines, as it would be a lot harder for ZOS to prove that one person was running both accounts, or that they were being shared contrary to the TOS, but of course they don't need to prove anything as their word goes :wink: !

It doesn't remotely bother me, or even relate to me (I have two accounts but pretty much never log them both in at the same time, they're simply for additional character slots for individual leveling purposes), but it is something that from time to time people celebrate having been clarified when actually it hasn't been fully clarified at all!
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like as long as you alone and are controlling both its ok if they are online together?

So farming chests and world bosses etc for loot while your two accounts are active... is that acceptable? I feel this is a little dodgy. Even though you arent ysing any third party software and all input would have to come from you.

That could almost make it worthwhile to me to buy another tbh.

Even just store all the boe sets on the mule account.

And i would finally have a friend. Since my IRL sex doll wife isnt capable of moving, speaking or playing pc games.
    Edited by Haquor on August 4, 2018 10:38PM
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's actually covered where it says you can't run 3rd party software to operate the extra accounts in sync and there's no way they'd survive battles just standing around.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to quad-box in WoW and RIFT. Both games are much better optimized than this one (which is a mem and cpu hog - not to mention bandwidth).

I never needed to use anything other than /follow. Of course, I wasn't trying to make the other three help my max level toon fight anything either! Wasn't necessary - just dragged them along to get xp and gear....
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think allowing multiple accounts opens them up to Automation anyway.. think both should be bannable, unless two different ips are detected it should not be allowed..

But hey its not my call.
    Edited by DanteYoda on August 5, 2018 12:12AM