The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How can I enjoy questing?

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PvE questing is unlikely to feel so easy if you do it when you first play the game, rather than when you've mastered PvP and trials etc. and probably have a gazillion champion points in addition to all the tactical knowledge that comes with your veteran experience. Moreover, if you play on PC it won't help the questing feel entertaining and balanced to your level if you use a load of addons that are designed to provide shortcuts and make the game simpler to play.
  • crjs1
    crjs1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s all about story for me, listening to the dialogue and great snipets of lore (sure they are not Witcher 3 standard but still pretty engaging). I’m glad quests aren’t bogged down with ‘hard’ mobs every 10 feet which take ages to kill. If I want a challenging fight I will pvp or vet dungeon.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the only thing to do is to just try to ignore how easy the combat is and enjoy the story by itself. I love story and I love a challenge and the feeling of danger, but ESO splits it up with no overlap anymore.

Hopefully, there will come a time where there's some optional way to increase the difficulty without having to resort to removing gear or weapons (because I've tried that in many different ways, and it didn't remedy it, it just gives it a false feeling of what I want), but until then, we'll just have to live with it. The questing and storytelling is good enough to hold up on its own, especially in the DLC and Chapter stories, but it would definitely be even better for those of us who like our adventuring to feel like there's danger around the corner, if there actually was.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FInd a different game.

Pve in this game is mind numbingly boring and repetitive, they definitely went for quantity rather than quality for questing.
    Questing in WOW or most MMO is not difficult, Runescape had some difficult quests.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to get into if the story isn't very good. Thankfully, the DLC/expansion stories are quite immersive. The content is still faceroll easy, but I treat the game as an audio book rather than a game. I'm just listening to the story.

I also typically take a few weeks/months after a DLC/chapter launches to play through it. It helps build up a craving for more ESO content after I've burned out on my usual routine.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 1, 2018 2:03AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vMA is technically PvE content ... it has a quest. :trollface:
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The PvE questing is unlikely to feel so easy if you do it when you first play the game, rather than when you've mastered PvP and trials etc. and probably have a gazillion champion points in addition to all the tactical knowledge that comes with your veteran experience. Moreover, if you play on PC it won't help the questing feel entertaining and balanced to your level if you use a load of addons that are designed to provide shortcuts and make the game simpler to play.

Most players will reach CP levels by the time they complete the base game. This means all DLC and chapters from there will be a cakewalk. There needs to be some way for veterans to experience challenge. They can't just keep designing content for new players only.

A few easy suggestions I've made in the past:

1. Delve/public dungeon difficulties (have a normal and vet difficulty for each instance)
    2. Individual downscaling option (i.e. turns off CP and downscales gear to level of your choice)
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 1, 2018 2:07AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Yubarius - Magicka NB - Flawless Conqeror
    Lord Yubarius - Stamina Sorc - Stormproof
    'Rubick the Grand Magus - Magicka Sorc
    Fair Child Tank - Stamina DK
    Jaruko - Magicka Templar
    Selthyn Bavailo - Mag DK
    Bandit-The-Great - Stam Temp
    vAA - Cleared
    vHRC - Cleared
    vSO HM - Cleared
    vDSA - Cleared
    vMA - Flawless Conqueror!!

AKA

No overland buff will make content difficult for you. This is the massive issue people don't understand. If you can clear VMA <not even talking flawless> literally just clear it. That is going to be so far above most quest based story mode players you just can't balance for that. It would be like balancing a quest mob for someone who parses 40K DPS with mechanics + enrage timer.

Sure it would be hard for that player but the other 90+% of the playerbase would just immediately leave the area and never return.
    This, ESO is pretty player skill based and the player skill variation is insane. You have people *** 5k and above 40K dps in vet dungeons.
    Again ESO is way more player skill based than WOW and questing in WOW was also easy. Now back before 1T you could make it hard by pushing forward. This did not work if you enjoyed the quests and wanted to do them all and also did dungeons and PvP.
    1T had to make overland easy because of all the scrub causal players, or would you rather have them in vet dungeons :)

In FO3, oblivion and Skyrim I found that glass cannon builds is my thing, this don't work in eso.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take off the gold gear. Use iron swords, and leather armor. Unallocate CP. Problem solved, you're welcome.
    Edited by Mr_Walker on August 1, 2018 2:17AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Take off the gold gear. Use iron swords, and leather armor. Unallocate CP. Problem solved, you're welcome.

The game isn't an RPG anymore then.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 1, 2018 4:05AM
  • Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    You could always equip what I call the 'potato bar'. 1-2 useful damage skills and the rest either leveling abilities or whatever fills your immersion. Depending on if you are mag/stam use skills that are fun or you like the animation, not necessarily the best load out.

Maybe equip different sets that have a proc. (Red Mountain, Mad Tinkerer, etc.)

Also, are you playing a class you love? Or at least like more than the others? I myself, can't stand to play a NB, so I don't torture myself with playing one even if everyone else is atm.

• Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yubarius wrote: »
    I've always loved playing RPGs throughout my life and enjoyed the story's great games tell like Witcher 3, Skyrim, and Morrowind. I have been playing this game for 3 years primarily in PvP and some trials/dungeon content. I know there is a ton of questing content packed into this game and even more so since I have eso plus. I would love to be able to immerse myself in this games quests and story but I just cant because of how easy the overland stuff is. Any advice you guys can give me, or should I stick with playing single player games to quench my thirst?

having played all 3 rpg, every you listed has easy over world mobs. difficulty is subjective, and mmo have to have overworld that are not a hindrance to traverse, and your expected to travel around zones often.

i can tell you though ESO quests are not all that easy, some do require you to use your brain to solve puzzles. you won't find much kill 10 rabbits and bring me their pelts. Like in most MMo though. the quests are more inline with morrowind, and oblivion.

the main story, and your faction story intertwine and there are plenty of off the beaten path quests to explore. Some quests have you avoid world bosses as the quest point is just behind or around some.

Some quests exist in public dungeons which you can try solo. Like every rpg the higher level/gear you have the easier things are. if you played the main story and did all quests as you plated through each zone then the wouldn't isn't as easy.

idk why people play mmo and expect/want a hardcore souls like overworld. Having played ff11 which did have such an overworld, it can become a hinderence. ff11 required you to group up after level 10 as mobs took 1min to kill after lvl 10. MMo do not last long sadly if exploring required a party sadly.
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • xericdx
    xericdx
    ✭✭✭
    There have been so many threads revolving around the same issue.
    I am not sure why such simple questions always bring up unconstructive comments.... Anyway...

I would also like to enjoy overland quest fight a bit more but kind of abandoned that battle. Will try to summarize the issue and comments from previous threads.

- Take out CP/gear. As already mentioned even here, this takes out the fun of testing builds, feeling of immersion and progression
    - Increase difficulties of overland content. Will go against new / less skilled players. Not everyone wants the same.
    - Create Normal/hardmode instances in overland similar to what exist in normal/vet dungeons. Too complicated technically on ZOS side
    - Play vMA/vTrials etc. Not really the point of the question, those are endgame stuff indeed that many of us enjoy. But the point is to be able to do quest without yawning half of the time.
    -

As usual, I maintain that the best option would be to use a "toggle" artifact/debuff/whatever that reduces the stats of the players, especially making more easy for him/her to die. It can be linked to a simple quest from some Daedra giving the player a challenge and some small reward for reaching certain targets. That would help the immersion and give some incentive to do so.
    The usual answer to this is that people don't want to create another necessary grind. Personally I believe it is easy to have some small rewards that are sub-optimal to other contents. It is just to spice up the experience a bit and not to push players who do not enjoy questing otherwise to follow this path.
    Yes, overland content will remain "boring", as mechanics are easy to counter and simply creating damage sponge NPCs through debuffing players is not the best solution.... But would help a bit and easy to implement and would not screw any other player over.

In the end... I tried again... maybe one day ...
    Characters
    Primo Aldouine (MagSorc), AD
    Kro'zuc Primo (StamDK), AD
    Primo Leyla, MagDK, DC
    Primo Salazar (MagPlar), AD
    Leyla Softpawn (StamBade), AD
    Shaz Primo (MagBlade), AD
    Marcus Primo (MagDen), EP
    Elonthor Primo (StamDen), AD
    The Red, MagNecro, AD

You like housing?! We have the place for you: Tamriel Homes Guild! Contact me for info (in-game ID @xericdx) or visit our website https://tamrielhomes.com/
    PC EU
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    xericdx wrote: »
    There have been so many threads revolving around the same issue.
    I am not sure why such simple questions always bring up unconstructive comments.... Anyway...

I would also like to enjoy overland quest fight a bit more but kind of abandoned that battle. Will try to summarize the issue and comments from previous threads.

- Take out CP/gear. As already mentioned even here, this takes out the fun of testing builds, feeling of immersion and progression
    - Increase difficulties of overland content. Will go against new / less skilled players. Not everyone wants the same.
    - Create Normal/hardmode instances in overland similar to what exist in normal/vet dungeons. Too complicated technically on ZOS side
    - Play vMA/vTrials etc. Not really the point of the question, those are endgame stuff indeed that many of us enjoy. But the point is to be able to do quest without yawning half of the time.
    -

As usual, I maintain that the best option would be to use a "toggle" artifact/debuff/whatever that reduces the stats of the players, especially making more easy for him/her to die. It can be linked to a simple quest from some Daedra giving the player a challenge and some small reward for reaching certain targets. That would help the immersion and give some incentive to do so.
    The usual answer to this is that people don't want to create another necessary grind. Personally I believe it is easy to have some small rewards that are sub-optimal to other contents. It is just to spice up the experience a bit and not to push players who do not enjoy questing otherwise to follow this path.
    Yes, overland content will remain "boring", as mechanics are easy to counter and simply creating damage sponge NPCs through debuffing players is not the best solution.... But would help a bit and easy to implement and would not screw any other player over.

In the end... I tried again... maybe one day ...

ff11 between 2002-2011 was very much what you want. it peeked at 500K accounts. WoW a much more easier experience peaked at 12mil accounts.

Like i said difficulty is a subjective things, your "too easy" is another persons "too hard"
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP says he liked the story line in certain games but seems to get confused when talking about that in ESO.

Combat difficulty and enjoying a story line are two very different things that are hardly related.

I can say that I enjoy a challenge and I also enjoy much of ESO's story line. I do not get confused about either and find both in ESO. Just not always in the same place.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »
    To crank up difficulty on overland would be akin to nerfing difficulty in the Trials to accomodate the overlanders.
    Only if it were non-optional. Another way to look at it is that group content already has an option between normal and vet modes, while overland content forces everyone into normal mode. I don't think any of us wants everyone, regardless of preference, to be forced into playing pre-nerf Craglorn. But I do think the time spent making a vet overland option would be dev time well-invested.

The only reason I can think of that a casual player would have to oppose this is that a casual player would prefer dev time be invested in things they'll enjoy, not content designed for other people. But that's just a version of "*** you I've got mine", so I don't take that too seriously.

ESO is not instanced individually and as such it would create a more complex situation server side to start creating different general instances at different difficulty levels.

It is clear the servers barely handle things as they are. Zos knows better than to add more load and more chances for things to go wrong.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just a "It was better before" feeling but... I wouldn't want to be a new player now. I'm so glad I started leveling during Tamriel Unlimited. The progression was real, at least for me. I just cleared all the zones one after an other, not leaving until the quest achievement of that zone was done.
    I don't say that 1T was bad. It was awesome, for an older player to be able to get back to the zones. For a new player? Not so sure.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Revi_Nightfire
    Revi_Nightfire
    ✭✭✭
    I love questing in this game, their quests are way better then any MMO I've ever played.
    Revi Nightfire | Imperial Nightblade | Daggerfall Covenant | PC NA
    Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Feel free to add me if you have questions. @Revi_Nightfire
    Need a Friend? Best Friend? Dungeon Partner? Farming Buddy? Geeker Outer? Add me :]

#Loremaster #Elderscrollsfanatic #Sweetrolls 

• xericdx
    xericdx
    ✭✭✭
    @Azuramoonstar It's probably my English and unclear explanation as I am not mother tongue, but I am not sure I understand how my suggestion would influence other players and would cause a decrease in ESO playerbase as you suggest.

The toggle would be for individual players. If a content it s too easy for some, toggle on (put on the artifact, activate the debuff, whatever). If the difficulty is already fine or too hard, simply do not activate the debuff.

Everybody is happy

Characters
    Primo Leyla, MagDK, DC
    The Red, MagNecro, AD

You like housing?! We have the place for you: Tamriel Homes Guild! Contact me for info (in-game ID @xericdx) or visit our website https://tamrielhomes.com/
    PC EU
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you skipped all the PvE and got high level in Cyrodiil, then yes all of the Questing will be a giant push over for you now, there's no getting around it unless you do it all without any gear equipped or remove all your CP.

But honestly the difficulty shouldn't matter if you care about getting into the story aspect of it all. I always play Single Player games on Easy because I call it "Story Mode", so the difficulty doesn't get in the way of the story. For Skyrim I played the whole thing in God mode so I didn't have to worry about health or Magicka cost.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yubarius wrote: »
    I've always loved playing RPGs throughout my life and enjoyed the story's great games tell like Witcher 3, Skyrim, and Morrowind. I have been playing this game for 3 years primarily in PvP and some trials/dungeon content. I know there is a ton of questing content packed into this game and even more so since I have eso plus. I would love to be able to immerse myself in this games quests and story but I just cant because of how easy the overland stuff is. Any advice you guys can give me, or should I stick with playing single player games to quench my thirst?

You said it!!!

I have totally given up all overland questing its is so banally easy. Come on Zos, when you started this game we were promised immersion and adventure.

For those of us where story isn't enough the pendulum has swung too far.
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Most players will reach CP levels by the time they complete the base game. This means all DLC and chapters from there will be a cakewalk. There needs to be some way for veterans to experience challenge. They can't just keep designing content for new players only.

A few easy suggestions I've made in the past:

1. Delve/public dungeon difficulties (have a normal and vet difficulty for each instance)
    2. Individual downscaling option (i.e. turns off CP and downscales gear to level of your choice)

^^ This, then everyone is happy (hopefully)

Personally the story alone for me is zzzzz. I need some action to spice up my immersion please.

[img][/img]3289719830_dd06ac8527.jpg
    Edited by martinhpb16_ESO on August 1, 2018 9:17AM
    Hew's Bane*
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Take your cp off
    2. get regular no set armour
    3. remove your attributes
    4. no skills
    5. no food buffs

You now have less all around then a level 1 new player
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • xericdx
    xericdx
    ✭✭✭
    1. Take your cp off
    4. no skills
    5. no food buffs

This has already been proposed and answered 2 or 3 times only in this thread. Reference to the last post answering this:

UNQUOTE

....although yes, at the moment it's the only way to make overland more difficult... sadly I think :neutral:
    Edited by xericdx on August 1, 2018 9:34AM
    Characters
    Primo Leyla, MagDK, DC
    The Red, MagNecro, AD

PC EU
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss vet zones :'(
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    The quests are well written and at least the vanilla lore and content really added many layers to the elder scrolls franchise, having much more time to dive into things you can't see when a game a centered on a single region. So if you can find a way to like that, you're in the gold.

But the problem with ESO's actual game design is that it can't balance 95% of it's mind-numbingly easy overworld content with its insane-get-a-teamspeak-focused-guild-and-be-commanded-by-screaming-neckbeards-for-trying-to-learn-new-mechanics group content. It consistently drops dlc that essentially releases starting zones each and every time and mixes bosses easily beaten by 30 people and instances with the exact same difficulty as a quest for rewards only worthwhile depending on which zone you're in. The sheer amount of content is intimidating but I don't know how any player can sit there and play through it all once, let alone on potentially 16 different toons, and not feel like they were shafted an experience. I've been subbed since beta and I'm likely going to cancel my sub because I just can't justify logging on anymore. It's either a non-experience or it's a frustrating chaotic group experience of people either never giving people a chance to learn or players who should have never been allowed to even enter the content (like why are CP89's being random'd into vet dungeons??? Why wouldn't the system at least warn them they're likely not going to be ready???)

It's just really bad. Appreciate it for the writing. Don't expect to enjoy the game as a game itself unless you're playing pvp.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple things that help this altoholic (besides having an incredibly crappy memory):

Don't allocate your attribute points ~

Level up every kind of weapon available by swapping out every 10 skill or so ~

Wear only 1 piece of each type of armor (remember to put on 3 now to open the skill line first) and cover your nekkedness with any costumes you may have (or clothing as you prefer) ~

Allocate CP into things like Treasure Hunter and loot all those containers!

And as others have said: headset and for me anyway turn up the effects the nature sounds are actually quite nice and do explore (take some fun screenshots of places/things you find) and do pick up everything along the way :)
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If the OP gets a difficulty slider bar, he cheers, and all is right with the world. Suggest he engineer the same result by himself, and HOLY CRAP IT'S BRAIN ANEURYSM TIME!

Do it, don't do it, I don't care, but if you're not at least willing to make an effort to achieve your desired goals, you have zero right to complain when you don't actually achieve them. That goes for all of life, not just a game.
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Take your cp off
    4. no skills
    5. no food buffs

Did that. went naked in Goldcoast, had a fist fight with a minotaur and still won.

Hew's Bane*
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If the OP gets a difficulty slider bar, he cheers, and all is right with the world. Suggest he engineer the same result by himself, and HOLY CRAP IT'S BRAIN ANEURYSM TIME!

Do it, don't do it, I don't care, but if you're not at least willing to make an effort to achieve your desired goals, you have zero right to complain when you don't actually achieve them. That goes for all of life, not just a game.

hostile!
    Hew's Bane*