The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP/PVE THEORYCRAFTING

Lord_Etrigan
Lord_Etrigan
✭✭✭✭
Good morning fellow gamers,

I have been slowly moving away from copy builds to creating my own and had some enjoyable results like my PVP duel wield VD/Warmaiden Sorcerer build.

She pushes out 53% spell critt and 4.6K Spell damage when buffed and I think with some tweaks she can do more.

My questions to you guys are:

Am I correct to assume that because most people run impen in PVP, that spell damage will be more important than spell critt and spell critt in turn will be more important in pve than spell damage?

If both play a role in both instances than what should I aim for in PVP/PVE with spell damage/critt?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.
PS4 EU
Lord Etrigan (Former Emperor): PVE High Elf Sorcerer
Nyssa al Ghul: PVP Nightblade Wood Elf (Ganker)
Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(
Achmed-Silence I keel you: PVP Dark Elf Nightblade (Suicide Bomber)
I'm with stupid: PVP Argonian Magic Temp (Group support and healer).

Guild:
The Order of Stolas (Founder and Guild Master)

Faction: Aldmeri Dominion

Her Royal Highness Queen Ayrenn Arana wants You for Dominion.
LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not like, that one is only important in one content, meanwhile in the other it is worthless.
    in pvp basically everybody has critical resistance to a certain degree, some people go even for crit reists values that high, so that critical hits actually do the same damage than a normal attack (for that a critical resistance of 3k is needed). additionally you cant land critical hits on enemies with damage shields (ok they are critical, but only do normal damage, so basically they are crit immune when a damage shield is up). this all makes crit chance less appealing for pvp, so its seems, right?. but especially as sorcerer a rather high crit value is nothing bad, since by far nor everybody has such high cri resistance values or damage shields up, so in most cases critical hits still hurt. additionally sorcs using the crit surge skill have some nice self healing, when they deal critical damage. in cp environment most sorc have an innate crit chance of at least 32% (cp passive and lightarmor) and lots of them have also major prophecy granting them additional 10%. with some armor boni reaching 50% is quite easy (especially since caluurion is pretty famous atm). as you see in cp environement there is quite some mititgation against critical hits, but still its surely not a bad thing to have crit as a sorc. in no cp the crit resistance is normally much lower, since cps are disabled. also your crit value will be 12%, but in no cp you surely will hit harder.
    in pve npcs have zero crit resistance, therefore a high crit value is welcomed, especially if you also have access to crit damage modifiers like minor force from the psychic skill channeled acceleration or beast trap. the focus in pve is less on pure spelldamage, since the benefit from big crit values and modifiers just performs better. meanwhile in pvp higher spelldamage may be preferred.
  • Lord_Etrigan
    Lord_Etrigan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    its not like, that one is only important in one content, meanwhile in the other it is worthless.
    in pvp basically everybody has critical resistance to a certain degree, some people go even for crit reists values that high, so that critical hits actually do the same damage than a normal attack (for that a critical resistance of 3k is needed). additionally you cant land critical hits on enemies with damage shields (ok they are critical, but only do normal damage, so basically they are crit immune when a damage shield is up). this all makes crit chance less appealing for pvp, so its seems, right?. but especially as sorcerer a rather high crit value is nothing bad, since by far nor everybody has such high cri resistance values or damage shields up, so in most cases critical hits still hurt. additionally sorcs using the crit surge skill have some nice self healing, when they deal critical damage. in cp environment most sorc have an innate crit chance of at least 32% (cp passive and lightarmor) and lots of them have also major prophecy granting them additional 10%. with some armor boni reaching 50% is quite easy (especially since caluurion is pretty famous atm). as you see in cp environement there is quite some mititgation against critical hits, but still its surely not a bad thing to have crit as a sorc. in no cp the crit resistance is normally much lower, since cps are disabled. also your crit value will be 12%, but in no cp you surely will hit harder.
    in pve npcs have zero crit resistance, therefore a high crit value is welcomed, especially if you also have access to crit damage modifiers like minor force from the psychic skill channeled acceleration or beast trap. the focus in pve is less on pure spelldamage, since the benefit from big crit values and modifiers just performs better. meanwhile in pvp higher spelldamage may be preferred.

Hi and thank you for the response,

So what I can take away from what you said is the following:

PVP

Spell damage is king but one should not disregard Critt as there are some who have low Critt resistance, myself included as I’m glass cannon due to me running all divines for high burst damage.

I have noticed that in shor with my 53% Critt, my wrath hits NPC for 32 000 damage and my frags can get close to 40 000. However this is a PVP environment and my focus is other players.

What would you recommend the minimum Critt should be in order to up my burst damage via spell damage but also be able to land credible Critts on enemies with low resistance?

PVE

Critt is king and spell damage plays a roll but not as much as what the Critt would when I burn down npc with aoe.

Is there a celling limit to the amount of critt you can push out or can you go crazy and push as much critt as possible in order to get those golden numbers flowing all over your screen

PS4 EU
    Lord Etrigan (Former Emperor): PVE High Elf Sorcerer
    Nyssa al Ghul: PVP Nightblade Wood Elf (Ganker)
    Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(
    Achmed-Silence I keel you: PVP Dark Elf Nightblade (Suicide Bomber)
    I'm with stupid: PVP Argonian Magic Temp (Group support and healer).

Guild:
    The Order of Stolas (Founder and Guild Master)

Faction: Aldmeri Dominion

Her Royal Highness Queen Ayrenn Arana wants You for Dominion.
    LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!