Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

node respawn

stitchesofdooom
stitchesofdooom
✭✭✭✭
I've noticed recently that when I'm farming ore, even in the middle of the night irl, that ore nodes aren't respawning til I relog. And some are taking ages. You've not implimented so anti-farming malarkey or something silly like that have you?
Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
PCMR EU.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you standing at the node to see if it respawns? If not, it may be possible that someone else is also farming and picking them up before you get back to the node in question.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you standing at the node to see if it respawns? If not, it may be possible that someone else is also farming and picking them up before you get back to the node in question.

I've been up and down the same stretch and barely anyone in sight. No obvious farming. As I said, I relog and the nodes appear. I think there may be a bug. When the node respawn drops I look to see if anyone else is farming. Please don't take this as me being rude, but I'm not an idiot. I am aware that some people are though, so I understand you checking if I've considered that :-)
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no problem farming ore ... same route ... run over and over. Been doing the same route for a few years now and have the timing down to where I get to the 'next node' just before it respawns (lol!) I'm NA-PC if that makes a difference. (I harvest all nodes along my route, not just the ore nodes).

A few years ago there was some talk on the forums about the node respawn rate ... I remember reading that 'how fast' nodes respawned was partly due to how often they were harvested ... the assumption being that frequent harvesting means more players in the area, so the respawn timer automatically bumps up a notch. Conversely, less frequent harvesting = fewer players in the area and the respawn timer goes back to normal. It's also my understanding that for the 'bump-up' to occur, all nodes in a given area need to be 'frequently harvested' ... not just a particular type.

Anyway, I don't know if this is true or not, it's just some odd bit of information I read a few years ago on the forums that stuck with me.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    A few years ago there was some talk on the forums about the node respawn rate ... I remember reading that 'how fast' nodes respawned was partly due to how often they were harvested ... the assumption being that frequent harvesting means more players in the area, so the respawn timer automatically bumps up a notch. Conversely, less frequent harvesting = fewer players in the area and the respawn timer goes back to normal. It's also my understanding that for the 'bump-up' to occur, all nodes in a given area need to be 'frequently harvested' ... not just a particular type.
    In my experience, the higher the number of player characters which are competing for the resource(s), the faster that they become scarce (duh!), and the amount of time before they are replenished is not affected by how quickly they are harvested. Only two or three players can easily "scour" a route which they follow from node-to-node.

Since I began actively playing TESO in late January 2014, ZOS has evidently made various and sundry changes to the locations of nodes, and probably to the outcomes of pseudorandom events, any of which might or might not have had an effect upon how often any specific resource is available for harvesting.

For example, originally, the nodes in The Hollow City (Cold Harbour) which spawned Water Hyacinth were changed to spawn Pure Water instead. (Other nodes near water that spawned Nirnroot were unaffected by the change.) Then I suppose that ZOS had so many complaints about it that they changed them to spawn Nirnroot instead. After yet more complaints, apparently, ZOS changed the same nodes to spawn either Water Hyacinth or Nirnroot. Its not easy to say, given the wanton attributes of Pseudorandom Number Generators, whether the respective herbs spawn in those nodes in equal amounts over the course of time.

Edited by Shadowshire on July 29, 2018 1:19PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @stitchesofdooom

By the way, on which platform and meagserver do you play TESO? ZOS needs to know that in order to investigate whether there is a bug. (Please read the Guidelines for Bug Report Forum.)
    I've been up and down the same stretch and barely anyone in sight. No obvious farming. As I said, I relog and the nodes appear. I think there may be a bug. When the node respawn drops I look to see if anyone else is farming. ....
    FWIW, I've recently been experiencing "weak signal" problems with my ISP's broadband Internet service -- the ISP needs to re-wire the entire building, currently served via ancient coaxial cable, which might be replaced by optical fiber instead.

Consequently, the game client evidently loses its connection to the NA megaserver at random times, and with varying frequency. So I am not only "re-logging" my character, I'm logging-in to the game to resume playing where the character was last known to be by the megaserver.

So far, at least, that has not had any evident effect upon whether any nodes respawn. If they respawn, then they would have respawned without my character being present.

Edited by Shadowshire on July 29, 2018 1:35PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed recently that when I'm farming ore, even in the middle of the night irl, that ore nodes aren't respawning til I relog. And some are taking ages. You've not implimented so anti-farming malarkey or something silly like that have you?

Respawn is on the order of minutes.

However, when you relog you might not get placed into the same 'instance/channel/shard/phase' of the game, which means that there is a chance those nodes will appear to have respawned.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

Respawn is on the order of minutes.

However, when you relog you might not get placed into the same 'instance/channel/shard/phase' of the game, which means that there is a chance those nodes will appear to have respawned.

It still seems like nodes aren't respawning as fast. btw: "PAWS" - genius
    PCMR EU.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    cheers for the insight guys... still, respawn doesn't seem right. It's been a lot slower since the last patch.
    PCMR EU.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm under the impression that nodes respawn in a sequence also. They are tied together like the "dots" that Pacman munches in his game so that you won't get more "dots to munch" until all the current "dots" are gone. This may have some element of randomness also.

They definitely don't respawn on a specific timer if you just stand at one node and take it then wait for it to come back. This is the biggest support for my assumption above.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm under the impression that nodes respawn in a sequence also. They are tied together like the "dots" that Pacman munches in his game so that you won't get more "dots to munch" until all the current "dots" are gone. This may have some element of randomness also.

They definitely don't respawn on a specific timer if you just stand at one node and take it then wait for it to come back. This is the biggest support for my assumption above.

Actually, my respawn timer check for resource nodes is done by just standing there watching the node for a couple of cycles. Last time I did this, they reappeared as if they were on an independent timer. Whether they still are, or even have the same timer value, since Summerset, I have no idea.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus