The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Am I understand correctly that top gear in this game is just crafting? Where is the challenge?

QRik
QRik
Soul Shriven
I was told that I need to craft my gear. Not to suffer in raids for PVE top gear and not sitting hours on BGs to get PVP gear.

Where is the challenge? Why I should play further? Probably I should complete tons of similar quests and delete the game, right?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top gear comes from various different places, it depends what content you're doing and what roles or builds you're using.

If you want acceptable entry level gear which works, that can be crafted and played with, if you want to reach the very top tiers you need to get grinding and working for that gear.

The reason to play further is to play the games content you enjoy. The reward for PvP should be the competitive play of PvP, the reward for PvE the story or sense of progression as you beat bosses and harder challenges. These remain regardless of what gear you have.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah most best gear comes from trials/DLC dungeons. These days you can do normals for trials and get blue gear and weapons and even jewels, which can now be improved.

BIS gear is generally dropped gear, but there are some close seconds from crafting.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BGs does not drop best gear for PVP. That is crafting and certain dropped sets, more Dungeon than trials, however.

Some of the BG drops are OK I guess - but I don't wear any but one of those sets. Since sloads became a thing, I've been wearing wizards riposte on my sorc.

The other cheese is sloads, which is crafted and duroks and zaan which are dungeon drops and end boss on vet drops respectively.

The difference about this game from others is that the challenge is from learning to play better over just getting better gear/gear grind.

Some of the many proc sets are certainly overtuned, but this game has made 5pc bonus a thing since ever.

Believe me. Even in BIS gear, you won't have ez win, except on max cheese gear, you will get some more kills in bg when you're against lower MMR players, but once you get stronger, sloads/zaan/cheese won't save you because they will roll over you like a freight train.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No its not

Best gear usually comes from trials/dlc dungeons

Crafting is close enough which i think is great cause it is alt friendly
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also, when you're new, you're not gonna clear or even go to vet dungeons/trials and most people require min 160cp to even take you to normal ez mode trials, because you cannot trade end level gear below that.

So worry about yourself, level up and learn to play before you make broad assumptions.

I reckon your friend meant merely to get crafted gear for now; so you can get into things to attain the better sets etc.
  • QRik
    QRik
    Soul Shriven
    Mureel wrote: »
    Believe me

I understand that, but "playing more to play better" is not a good motivation for mmorpg.
    Doing dungeons for pvp gear is also a bit strange

Thanks all for answers
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QRik wrote: »
    Believe me

I understand that, but "playing more to play better" is not a good motivation for mmorpg.

Thanks all for answers
    And yet all these years later this is still the engagement method companies choose.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, there're lots of pvpers will happily wear crafted gears and not farming dungeons/trials sets. It's understandable why they think dungeons/trials are boring to them.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah most best gear comes from trials/DLC dungeons. These days you can do normals for trials and get blue gear and weapons and even jewels, which can now be improved.

BIS gear is generally dropped gear, but there are some close seconds from crafting.
    This
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Believe me

Thanks all for answers

Well you've had every answer we can give, in the most polite way we can offer.

Can perhaps be, this game and you just don't mesh?

I hate to ask that, but it can be.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Believe me

Thanks all for answers

Well it wasn't pvp gear as such, had no specific PVP boni, just pvpers found some sets good, and wear them. *shrugs*

PVPers complained about that for a long time. They made a rather bad solution in the Golden vendor- but most times she has garbage no one wants. Once in a blue moon you get lucky.