The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

IDEA for New Gametype - mix between PvP and PvE

callen4492
callen4492
✭✭✭
I had an idea for a new gametype that brings in elements of both PvE and PvP.

Picture this:

In this gametype, a group of 4 players (The Clearing Team) must clear a dungeon with trash mobs and bosses, all with their own mechanics just like any dungeon. However, an opposing team of four players (The Defending Team) is tasked with slowing down/stopping their opponents from completing the dungeon.

Obviously, there would have to be some other differences between a PvE dungeon and this gametype. Such as:
1) Both teams could respawn on their own at any time, without a teammates help, even during boss fights. If one of the Clearers died, it would be too easy and too rewarding to be able to prevent a respawn.
2) Wiping the Clearing team would not reset the fight. Instead, maybe it would just add back a certain percentage of health to bosses. While it would be difficult to wipe all of the Clearers all at once, I would imagine that such a hefty penalty as a reset for wiping would not allow the Clearers to be as aggressive as need be and potentially prevent a undermatched team from ever completing the dungeon. This would have to be tweaked and played with to find out what works best.
3) The bosses and trash mobs would have to be toned down so that they’re not the main threat to the Clearers.
4) The Defenders could have a respawn zone where they respawn each time they die so killing a Defender would provide greater relief for the Clearers to kill NPC’s.

The winning team could be decided based on several different things. Maybe the Clearers are given a certain time limit to clear the dungeon and if they don’t in that time frame, the Clearers win. Or maybe each team runs the dungeon as both Clearers and Defenders and whoever does it faster wins. Any number of things. On top of that, the winning team could get a nice reward at the end of the game.

I think this might bring PvP and PvE players together and bring something fresh to the game that keeps it going for a long time coming. As a PvP-oriented player, I think this would be fun. Let me hear from some PvE oriented playes. Would you find this fun? What do you think about this idea overall?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only if we call the game mode "Gambit". Gotta keep it original now :wink:
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Only if we call the game mode "Gambit". Gotta keep it original now :wink:

What is Gambit? Is that from another game? This is my first mmo, haha. I figured this has been done before.
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They tried to mix n match PvP and PvE before with Imperial City DLC. It didn't work out very well, unfortunately. Great concept, extremely difficult to execute.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »
    They tried to mix n match PvP and PvE before with Imperial City DLC. It didn't work out very well, unfortunately. Great concept, extremely difficult to execute.

That was a huge open world arena with a vast amount of objectives to compete over. This would be a battle in a much smaller arena in its own instance with only one objective at a time. Very different than Imperial City. Not even close to a good comparison.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    callen4492 wrote: »
    Tonturri wrote: »

That was a huge open world arena with a vast amount of objectives to compete over. This would be a battle in a much smaller arena in its own instance with only one objective at a time. Very different than Imperial City. Not even close to a good comparison.

A four man PvP team will wipe any 4 man PvE team any day of the week.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    True, but that is obvious. PvP players, by their nature are geared out to defeat other players, whereas PvE players are geared out to defeat monsters. This isn’t about PvP vs PvP. It’s about combining elements of both of these beloved parts of the game which would attract both types of players and elements of both types of build outs to the arena. Imperial City has both PvP and PvE elements but it is very different from this PvP Dungeon idea. In Imperial City you mainly have players farming Tel Var stones, huge zergs running down small groups to steal their stones and bombers. It’s a lot of zerging and a lot of avoiding Zergs, just like in Cyrodiil. THIS PVP DUNGEON IDEA WOULD BE LIKE THE BATTLEGROUND VERSION OF IMPERIAL CITY.

Battlegrounds are to Cyrodiil as PvP Dungeons are to Imperial City.

Again, I think it coupd bring a lot of fresh life and interest back to the game.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever played the Overrun gametype in Gears of War: Judgement? It was by far the best GoW gametype ever made. I am imagining this gametype would be much like Overrun.
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Just just see a for man PvP team wiping the PvE clearers over and over again to the point where it is no longer fun. They could ignore and kite adds while the clearing team resses. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    testd4n1 wrote: »
    Just just see a for man PvP team wiping the PvE clearers over and over again to the point where it is no longer fun. They could ignore and kite adds while the clearing team resses. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

What about my post indicates that it would be a PvP team vs a PvE team. Most likely, it would be random players including a mix of PvE-oriented players and PvP-oriented players on each team. Nobody in their right minds would go into a PvP dungeon using only PvE gear and tactics. They would use a mix of both gear and tactics.

Also, most Eso players do at least a little of both PvE and PvP so you can’t really define many players as just one or the other.

I appreciate your feedback but I just don’t get your point.