The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Identifying Unlocked Dyes - True colors wanted

Indigo_Shade
Indigo_Shade
✭✭✭
I am trying to ID some very specific dyes for certain colors. While I realize some colors are not the same to everyone, I think many of us can agree that most of the common and easy rares are not really "true" colors. For example, I do not have an honest blue yet. I have cyans, teals, muddy blues, purple-ish blues, but not the true blue I have seen around in the game.

So I wonder if anyone could help me out to ID the specific names of the dyes that are:

- The brightest, clearest White (I know the best white is a Crown Store Dye)
- True blue, it seems to be a tad on the dark side, but even in darker places in game, it's obviously blue
- Black, is there a darker black than Coldharbour Ash Black?
- Red, A real red, not a pink or mauve. For both trim and gear. I've tried all my reds on tons of gear, and none of it looks "red"

Any help with this appreciated! Thank you.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense but based on what you have said there is not a color available that you think meets each of your desired colors. You almost state that much for the color red.

I assume on all platforms we can sort by hue and see all the reds together and more. Then you can try out each to find what is closest to what you desire.

Beyond that I am not going to list colors since I do not want to get into this is blue, no it is not, yes it is, type of conversation.

After all, they do say, blue is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    No offense but based on what you have said there is not a color available that you think meets each of your desired colors. You almost state that much for the color red.

I assume on all platforms we can sort by hue and see all the reds together and more. Then you can try out each to find what is closest to what you desire.

Beyond that I am not going to list colors since I do not want to get into this is blue, no it is not, yes it is, type of conversation.

I am aware of all that you just stated. The goal of my post is for people who have done a fair amount of end-game content, and received some of the higher end colors that I suspect, are the dyes I am looking for.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legate Black does well on most armor types ... see below.

3Yt0rrX.png

ZniwXX6.png
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The bloodletter achievement red is quite good. It's a bit on the orange side, but keeps true on most colour slots and motifs.

Emperor red is also very good, but more crimson than red.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isnt the dye so much as the clothing.some just don't reflect the color theyre supposed to.case in point the morrowind cleavage window dresses.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pit Daemon red from the BGs achievement is a very good red on most armor. Some pieces really make it dull though, very annoying. I have some really good blues but I’d have to come back to you on the exact name.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a particular style or weight of armor in mind? Colors often look very different on metal, leather, and cloth, or based on the newness of the motif.

The same dye will very different if you change the armor style or weight. What looks "true blue" on one style may not look like it at all in another style.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

I am aware of all that you just stated. The goal of my post is for people who have done a fair amount of end-game content, and received some of the higher end colors that I suspect, are the dyes I am looking for.

Your OP does not come off like that at all. Not even a clue of what you just saiud.

We do get some pretty snazzy colors for completing end game content meaning achievements in vet trials and such.

However, there are some great colors for other great achievements like Daedric Red for killing all named dolmen bosses. It is a nice red. We can see each and every color available and from there, at least used to be, we can see the achievement that unlocks it.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Indigo_Shade, if you’re lucky enough to be on PC, all dyes are unlocked for this PTS cycle.

Be sure to take advantage of it while you can ...
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    @Indigo_Shade, if you’re lucky enough to be on PC, all dyes are unlocked for this PTS cycle.

Be sure to take advantage of it while you can ...

I dont play the PTS, but by gawd, perhaps I will register now. Thanks for the tip!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to show locked/hidden too.

I don't know if it will let you preview the color (obviously won't let you permanently apply), but it's worth a shot, vs downloading another 85 GB worth of game client.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For blues I've been using Smith Steel Blue and Ransacker Blue. They work well on most materials. Still haven't found a proper black or red. Everything I've unlocked for them look like some shade of gray/brown or orange/pink.
  • ZOS_Chris
    ZOS_Chris
    Community Rep
    Hey Indigo_Shade!

When it comes to Dyes, you'll find that their appearance may alter somewhat depending on the material they're applied to. For example, Explorer Green may look different if applied to cloth vs leather vs steel.

If you're looking for a general rule of thumb, there's a very handy unofficial resource right here which will list nearly all of the known Dyes available, as well as the conditions required to get them.

As mentioned though, please bear in mind that the material they're applied to will have an impact on the overall appearance of the color.

We hope this helps, and would like to thank everyone in here for sharing their helpful tips and thoughts on this too, thank you!
    Staff Post
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second Bloodletter red being a great, vibrant red. I also find Voidstone Violet to be a solid dark blue option that comes out well.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the tips, advice and general comments in this thread. I really messed up my first post, and should have made it way more obvious that I am well aware of how dyes can look different depending on what they are applied to (and some things are more or less un-dyeable). It's just really frustrating not knowing if it's worth pursuing a dye in (when I am nowhere near ready) end game areas now, or later, when I actually have the proper build and gear.
  • Rhieks
    Rhieks
    Okay, my lazy dyes here in case you are not very endgame/achievement hunter.
    Black - Coldharbor Ash Black works perfect unless you need it shiny.
    Red - lvl 10 materials, sometimes Pact reds (both blood and conqueror). Not sure about brighter red.
    Covenant blues suit perfectly for Blue. Ransacker blue is the easiest but works real bad with leather.
    Whites - Birch White (more dull) and Moonstone White (a bit bluish).
    And, like Gina said, the resulting color really depends heavily on the material. Dyes look very different on different mats.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    NolaArch wrote: »
    I second Bloodletter red being a great, vibrant red. I also find Voidstone Violet to be a solid dark blue option that comes out well.

Blue eh? Which is why the link our wonderful Mod post is just silly. Yes, you can get a name to all the dye colors, but to translate to an actual color that people see in-game, and often see differently depending on the piece of armor? That is another thing all together.

I think VV is a color you get when you complete the "something something mogal" quest, where you have sold 1 mill goal to a fence. I am about 780k shy of that 1 mill, but somebody, I'll get there.
    Edited by Indigo_Shade on July 18, 2018 10:34PM
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am trying to ID some very specific dyes for certain colors. While I realize some colors are not the same to everyone, I think many of us can agree that most of the common and easy rares are not really "true" colors. For example, I do not have an honest blue yet. I have cyans, teals, muddy blues, purple-ish blues, but not the true blue I have seen around in the game.

So I wonder if anyone could help me out to ID the specific names of the dyes that are:

- The brightest, clearest White (I know the best white is a Crown Store Dye)
    - True blue, it seems to be a tad on the dark side, but even in darker places in game, it's obviously blue
    - Black, is there a darker black than Coldharbour Ash Black?
    - Red, A real red, not a pink or mauve. For both trim and gear. I've tried all my reds on tons of gear, and none of it looks "red"

Any help with this appreciated! Thank you.

well like lots of people have stated. It really depends on the outfit or amor you want to dye, can be really frustrating. Also I am not sure if you care about sheen? (Because I dont like all the shiny types of dye, I dont want to glitter all over, so its even harder to find the true colours without a shine)

White: Julianos White from AA is the whitest white usually

Blues:
    Convenant Blue from Hero of Daggerfall achievement is really quite blue, but shiny most of the time, second option is
    Convenant Conqueror blue
    Ransacker blue, from superior ransacker achievement
    Superior blue: superior attite achievement (quite dark)
    Arcane Blue - mages guild finished, little bit turqouise (sadly I havent found a nice turqouise yet)
    indoril blue - deshaan master explorer
    Smith steel blue
    I really like Eyvea blue, but its a shade lighter

Black
    Well I settle for Coldhabour Ash black most of the time, because it doesnt shine too much, but on most things its more like a really dark brown
    Viridian Venom is also quite dark sometimes, but with a more green shimmer
    so that isnt what you are looking for
    rank 9 materials sometimes is really black too. but depends, a little purpleish

Red:
    Rank 10 materials is really red
    jode red - a bit pinkish
    Red diamond red
    champion red - a bit darker, muddier
    deadric red - dark red, but a really nice red

PC-EU @lientier
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Legate Black does well on most armor types ... see below.

3Yt0rrX.png

ZniwXX6.png

ah I need to PVP more. quite a way to go from cpatain grad 2 to legate still
    PC-EU @lientier
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    NolaArch wrote: »

Blue eh? Which is why the link our wonderful Mod post is just silly. Yes, you can get a name to all the dye colors, but to translate to an actual color that people see in-game, and often see differently depending on the piece of armor? That is another thing all together.

I think VV is a color you get when you complete the "something something mogal" quest, where you have sold 1 mill goal to a fence. I am about 780k shy of that 1 mill, but somebody, I'll get there.

VOidstone violet is all the death challenges on the non-dlc dungeons in vet

Edit: someone find any true darker Green, that doesnt shimmer/shine (like ophidian jade does for example)?
    Edited by lientier on July 19, 2018 11:43AM
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ophidian Jade doesn't always shimmer. On a number of leather and cloth materials it reads as a very very dark peacock blue.
    Aside from that very situational usage though there isn't really a dark dark matte green. Warden moss green is ok, but it's more brown than green.

As an aside, they've added the feature of template characters on the PTS unlocking every dye in the game. Maybe try that out and see what works there first?
    Edited by Earrindo on July 20, 2018 5:19AM
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not true but I swear if you apply a white, then a color, the results are true.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my Stam DK in Veridian Venom.

gpHRqfJ.png
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 21, 2018 7:25AM