Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Seeking opinions

Pawpie
Pawpie
I am pretty new here, and have created and deleted 20-25 characters in the last month. I have played single play D&D games since Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but this is my first online MMO type game. I have an issue with being unable to switch weapons, and am currently trying to get to level 15 to see if that helps. Until then, I'm not looking at dungeons or moving around the world of Elder Scrolls. Am I working this reasonably or am I just off on the way this game plays?
PC NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to be level 15 to unlock weapon swapping between the two weapon bars. I don't know how to weapon swap on console, but for PC, you can weapon swap with the tilde key next to the number keys. If you just want to switch to a different weapon to try it out, equip the weapon from your inventory (on PC, I drag and drop it in the weapon slot.)

As for characters, what are you wanting to play? Any class or race will do well for overland questing, which is a good way to get comfortable with playing a character. Questing is pretty close to a single player game if you just ignore the other players running around. If there's a certain "feel" of character you want, maybe we can help narrow something down? As a general starting point, most characters are either magicka sets with staffs or stamina users with weapons like swords, shields, and bows, as well as using their unique class skills.

If you just want to strike out on your own with a new character, I recommend trying the skill advisor. The starting build is an "Initiate" which is a good introduction to the basic class, though the stamina damage dealer builds are also a good choice. Leveling as a tank or healer is going to be harder for a new player, and for overland questing its easier if you can do damage.

Personally I'd recommend finding a class you think you'll like and quest with them for awhile. The max level is 50, and then you'll start gaining champion points that unlock various passives. You'll find that classes play differently as you unlock more class and weapon skills as you level up, so its worth putting in some time with each class. CP 160 is the gear cap, and so that's the earliest I'd worry about doing end-game content, unless you feel comfortable enough with your character to try out Normal group dungeons.

If you'd like a guide to quest order, here's one Ive written on the original quest order: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide

Hope this helps!
  • Pawpie
    Pawpie
    Thanks for the answer, appreciate the insight.
    PC NA
  • Pawpie
    Pawpie
    OK, the saying says that ignorance is bliss, but right now, after reading some of these forums, I wonder if I'm too ignorant to ask questions. I will ask anyway. First question concerns guilds. What are they, what are they good for, is there any kind of directory that shows who, what, when, where, why? I got a popup asking me to join a guild, but my options were accept or decline, no chance to explore other information. Next question, is terminology, I've figured out dps, tank, healer, but what is discord? Enough for now, I want to get back to playing.
    PC NA
  • Willard
    Willard
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever you decide character wise, begin mount training and crafting (especially research) right from the start. Both take a long time to level up-but if you are diligent in making sure you stay on top of it--it will pay off.

Guilds are awesome, but make sure you join a real guild--not someone looking just to snag people to have a guild bank. Redeye Empire is a great guild-- lots of active members and always willing to help.

Not sure what platform you are on, but if you are on PS4 I am always willing to help out new players. Just send a friend invite to malonew1:)
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is a second-party free VOIP/guild 'forum' tool. Its a piece of free software and exceedingly common for use on PC/NA. It offers the ability to quickly drop an invite link so that you can get in the same VOIP channel.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pop-up with accept/decline was someone giving you an invite.

You won't get a chance to research the guild first, if it was some blind invite (which does happen).

You can find guild advertised on the official Reddit, and here on the forums.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your first problem is the character deletion. Characters take time to grow in to...you will be unlocking a wide range of abilities and power as you level. You’re playing the least fun levels over and over and over. You get eight slots on your account...use them. If a class doesn’t seem fun, leave the character and try another. You might learn ways to play that will make the previous character fun for you.

Weapon swapping is one of many features that will make a higher level character way more fun. And as you level your class and weapon skill lines, you’ll be able to unlock new abilities that will make things better.

To get to level 15, just explore around and do some of the quests. Delves (single torch icon) are for solo, and are a good place to start. If you feel too new to take on a delve, go do some content that will have other players around helping. Closing dolmens is a good option...just hit whatever you can and let the higher level characters do the heavy lifting.

The game is now set so that you can go anywhere at any level. But for a new player the higher zones are still going to be tougher. Try the original start islands of the vanilla game - khenarthi’s roost, bleakrock island and stros mkai (or betnik, one goes after the other but I forget the order). The quests and monsters here will be less brutal. Then move on to the first zone areas - auridon, glenumbra and stonefalls. (If you’re starting in Summerset, in my opinion this zone is quite a bit harder for a low level character).

Guilds

A guild in eso is just a group of players in a club. It gives you the ability to join guild chats and look up to find people online to play with. Some guilds specialize...trading, PvP, trials. If you’re getting invites in a starter zone, to probably just an all-around hang out guild. You can join, check out their message of the day, see if they seem cool. No one will care if you drop the guild if it doesn’t interest you. You can belong up to five.

As a new player, belonging to a couple of guilds might benefit you by the following:

Free travel. In social, guilds, roster you can see all online players. You can fast travel to any online guildie for free. They don’t even know...you don’t have to ask them or group...just click on them and fast travel and the game will put you at the closest wayshrine. This can help you save some money and unlock zones.

Assistance. There are a loooooot or vet players in the game who have massive inventories of everything imaginable. In a good guild, there will be a lot of players willing to assist. If I see a text chat from a new player asking where they get potatoes or bugloss, I just send them free stuff. I have 12,000 potatoes in my craft bag...I’m not going to make a guildie spend all afternoon looking for them for some dumb quest, lol.

Play assistance. You can group up with guildies and take on content...which might help you. If you want to be social, put out a guild chat saying what content you want to run. Or just say you’re new and you want to level a little. You might find other low level characters...or a vet might take you on a leveling expedition.

Trade. Guilds get guild stores and they’re a place to trade. As a new player, maybe you want to farm some stuff to sell to build up a gold reserve. Motifs are good. Or raw materials. A guild is a good place to sell them.
  • Pawpie
    Pawpie
    I've got a character in the teens, so have been considering dungeons. I'm on call at times, and wouldn't want to have to bail on somebody. How long do these low level dungeons take to complete?
    PC NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pawpie wrote: »
    I've got a character in the teens, so have been considering dungeons. I'm on call at times, and wouldn't want to have to bail on somebody. How long do these low level dungeons take to complete?

Depends on the dungeon and the level of the DPS.

I usually figure about 15 minutes per normal dungeon, 20-25 minutes for a harder normal or low group DPS. A good group might run it faster.