The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

IDEA for New Battleground Gametype - mix between PvP and PvE

callen4492
callen4492
✭✭✭
I had an idea for a new Battleground gametype that brings in elements of both PvE and PvP.

Picture this:

In this gametype, a group of 4 players (The Clearing Team) must clear a dungeon with trash mobs and bosses, all with their own mechanics just like any dungeon. However, an opposing team of four players (The Defending Team) is tasked with slowing down/stopping their opponents from completing the dungeon.

Obviously, there would have to be some other differences between a PvE dungeon and this gametype. Such as:
1) Both teams could respawn on their own at any time, without a teammates help, even during boss fights. If one of the Clearers died, it would be too easy and too rewarding to be able to prevent a respawn.
2) Wiping the Clearing team would not reset the fight. Instead, maybe it would just add back a certain oercentage of health to bosses. While it would be difficult to wipe all of the Clearers all at once, I would imagine that such a hefty penalty as a reset for wiping would not allow the Clearers to be as aggressive as need be and potentially prevent a undermatched team from ever completing the dungeon. This would have to be tweaked and played with to find out what works best.
3) The bosses and trash mobs would have to be toned down so that they’re not the main threat to the Clearers.
4) The Defenders could have a respawn zone where they respawn each time they die so killing a Defender would provide greater relief for the Clearers to kill NPC’s.

The winning team could be decided based on several different things. Maybe the Clearers are given a certain time limit to clear the dungeon and if they don’t in that time frame, the Clearers win. Or maybe each team runs the dungeon as both Clearers and Defenders and whoever does it faster wins. Any number of things. On top of that, the winning team could get a nice reward at the end of the game.

I think this might bring PvP and PvE players together and bring something fresh to the game that keeps it going for a long time coming. Whag do you think?
  • callen4492
    callen4492
    ✭✭✭
    As a PvP-oriented player I know I would enjoy this type of gametype. How about someone who is more PvE-oriented. Do you think PvE players would enjoy this too?