Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stamplar Help Please

master1g
master1g
Soul Shriven
Currently only lvl 6 so please answer questions with that in mind.

I just bought this game yesterday. I decided to go stamplar redguard. My problem is that there is just too much information in guides for me to follow them very well so I'll just ask here what I should do.

1. Does it matter what skills I'm taking when leveling? Can I ruin my character taking wrong skills? What skills should I be trying to get asap.

2. What weapon type should I be using? The guides I look at name a ton of weapons and I don't know if I have time to level all of them right now. Is there something I should be concentrating on like dual wielding maybe?

3. All points into full stamina or?

4. I joined a guild for trading and I can already see that this is longer a viable way to make money as suggested by a bunch of old ESO videos. Is there a good way to make money while leveling up?

5. Will I get good enough gear from quests etc while leveling? Or should I be buying certain things from the guild store?

6. What items should I definitely be keeping and which ones should I be destroying or vendoring? I figure there is a point where I decon armors and weapons but I haven't gotten there yet obviously.

7. Anything you think I should be aware that will help me, please post it!
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. You can respec later, so choose and try whatever.
    2. Again, try what you like. Probably 2hand and bow as backbar are the easiest. Pretty easy to learn new weapon later.
    3. Yes. And get some food.
    4. Sell everything. If you are on PC - get master merchant addon.
    5. Yes, it is more than enough what you are getting from leveling.
    6. Don't keep anything until you are CP160.
    7. Judging by your questions, you are on the right path.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You can’t ruin anything. There is a “skill advisor” that might help. The trick is to go into it and make sure it’s set for the right build. Go into the skill advisor, and on PS4 it’s R3 (see lower right of screen) to go into the build selector. Then it should give good advice between morphs.

2. The weapon lines level by having skills of that weapon on your bar. More skills equal more leveling. You can level all of the physical weapons. Dual wield is fun on a stamplar for me. But don’t stress...as you level you earn more and more xp, so as you get to vet you’ll have various weapons all at max.

3. All attributes into your fighting resource. It’s complocated why, just allocate them that way and forget about it.

4. A trade guild is a good way to make money. They need to maintain a trader in a decent location to be worth it. The best locations are mourhold, elden rooot, rawlkha and wayrest. But guilds that keeps slots there can charge high rents. Still...it can be worth it if you want to spend some time farming and collecting valuable materials. Motifs are a good idea...a lot of them drop do stuff that’s beneficial to your character anyway. Look at a big guild store’s motor listings and get an idea do what sells well. Then look up how those motifs drop. When you find a grid you like, collect that particular motif. Delve dailies in one of the dlc zones can be good...summerset, Morrowind, wrothgar. Another good item is mats. You can farm nodes and refine. It doesn’t take a lot of work to earn the gold tempers worth 5-10k.

5. Don’t worry about gear until you’ve learned the game a bit more. But gear sets are very helpful, and eventually you’ll want to learn the systems and farm gear. But at low levels you’ll outlevel it quickly. If you want a little more power, I’d advise working on some trait research so that you know two in the armor pieces you wear. Then you can go craft a set of night silence...which isn’t super powerful, but will help a bit. It’s a low trait craft set, so you can get your research up in a couple of days.

6. Decon all gear and glyphs you find unless it’s something you want to immediately wear. Save furnishing recipes, motifs, mats. Use an alt to store them if you like. Saving up stacks can provide things to sell.

7. Just explore and have fun. For your first 20ish levels, just play what you like and learn the systems. Unlock any skill that sounds helpful or fun...there are plenty of skill points in the game, you won’t run low. Once you get to level 10, go into Cyrodiil and poke around. Do the entryway quest for a speed skill called retreating maneuvers that is helpful for pokey low level toons. If you like, join in some keep captures and check out PvP. There’s a great heal called vigor you’ll unlock once you get around 85k AP (a keep capture is 6-10k, somits not that hard).