The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Reached level 50 in crafting - now what?

mjonis
mjonis
I've gotten to level 50 for Clothier, Blacksmithing, and Woodcrafting.
Now what?
LOL

I see that other than deconstructing for the mats, there's not much point (makes sense I guess).
But should I keep it at 1 skill point for the writs since it'll use low-level mats?

I thought I read somewhere that higher level writs weren't really worth it?

New to ESO, so sorry for the stupid questions. I just don't want to waste skill points if there's not much of a return.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now learn traits.
    Then motiffs
    Then just do daily writs
    And that's all and crafting is fine atm (over Jewelry one) and no need changes here.
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not a stupid question. Reasons to push crafting forward:

- You want to craft your own gear, especially things like gold c160 gear.

- you want to improve your own gear.

- you want hirelings to bring in mats you don’t need to farm.

- you want the income from daily writs.

Daily writs are a way for players to earn a daily income even if they can’t play a lot during the week. The writs are all going to pay ~$660 gold per drop, plus a sack of mats. The mats actually provide more value than the gold itself. Mats are pretty easy to quickly sell off. The drop rate on, say, Smith, wood or cloth for gold tempers is maybe 1 in 3, meaning most days a character does writs they’ll get a gold mat worth $5-$10k depending on type/server.

The highest tier writs tend to be the most profitable for a couple of reasons. One, the market is always floodedye with those mats, so if a player needs to spend to buy them it doesn’t dig as deep into the profits. (Except silk, which has been permanently ridiculously expensive on PS4). Two, the highest level writs drop master writs. If you want the vouchers for stuff, great, but if not these sell really well too.

• Rogue_Ghost
    Rogue_Ghost
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't sure where else to ask this question, and short of opening a new thread this looks like as good a place as any.

What's the best way to farm mats for legendary and superior gear sets - whether that be clothing, blacksmith, or carpentry? Is it strictly luck of the draw from deconstruction, or is there a way to acquire these mats specifically?

I am trying to top out the gear I have, both weapons and armor, and it just seems like getting the materials needed to do this is taking FOREVER! Clothing and Blacksmithing are both max level, with Carpentry about five levels away from maxing out as well. The main reason I even bothered to build up these lines is so that I could use them when I needed to. Now I have the skill, but the required materials seem to be so rare that they aren't doing me a damn bit of good.
    "Death smiles at us all. All one can do, is smile back."
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't sure where else to ask this question, and short of opening a new thread this looks like as good a place as any.

What's the best way to farm mats for legendary and superior gear sets - whether that be clothing, blacksmith, or carpentry? Is it strictly luck of the draw from deconstruction, or is there a way to acquire these mats specifically?

I am trying to top out the gear I have, both weapons and armor, and it just seems like getting the materials needed to do this is taking FOREVER! Clothing and Blacksmithing are both max level, with Carpentry about five levels away from maxing out as well. The main reason I even bothered to build up these lines is so that I could use them when I needed to. Now I have the skill, but the required materials seem to be so rare that they aren't doing me a damn bit of good.

The mats you find are 50/50 with your character's skill level and playing level. My maxed level/maxed skill crafters will only ever find rubedite/rubedo/ancestor level mats. A maxed level character I haven't maxed the crafting skills on will find 50/50 rubedite/rubedo/ancestor and iron/rawhide/jute.

You can get the tempers to improve gear to legendary/epic from refining raw mats, and its possible to get the gold mats from the lowest tier of mats.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maximum tier gear writs (blacksmithing, woodworking, clothier) have about 30% to drop legendary tempers, while for lower ones that chance drops very fast; for tier 1 is probably ~1% or so. Unfortunately that rule doesn't seem to apply to jewelry crafting as legendary tempers (chromium grains) don't seem to drop from maximum tier either so IMO jewelry crafting, even if it's leveled to 50 is best left w/o points invested on chars other than your main crafter since tier 1 writs are also almost self sustaining as you receive intricate items and 5 pewter ounces each time you don't get a survey.

Also master writs drop exclussively from maximum tier crafting writs, the more traits you have researched and styles known on that character, the higher the chances to get one; other crafting achievements also count AFAIK. But jewelry crafting has the same problem - jewelry master writs have the same voucher value as those from other crafts, but 10x the upgrade cost, since those drop as grains, rather than platings. Even when prices will come down to the same level as other upgrades, the craft cost will still be ~10x higher. Yet another reason not to invest skill points or research traits in jewelry crafting on non-main crafters.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let the great motif hunt begin!
    • Repeat on 2nd (or more) character. Hireling mails add up in a hurry. You can also make on one character and decon on an alt for higher inspiration.
    • Learn the traits, do daily writs/master writs if you like.
    • Farm, farm, farm.
    • Offer your skills for hire, if you wish.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can find these out in the world... e.g. you see a log on the floor you can collect it & get unrefined wood. Then you refine this and get refined wood & occasionally tempers.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not reaching level 50 that kills me it's the farming.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inhuman003 wrote: »
    it's not reaching level 50 that kills me it's the farming.

Want to find mats? Get on your mount. Every 6 steps you'll see something to pick up that you have to dismount for. :P