The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furniture Stay Put

Sharalei
Sharalei
✭✭✭✭
To the Devs & talented Addon programmers,

Would it be at all possible to please have a way to tell a piece of furniture, once placed, to stay there permanently, unless I have to go through a couple of key strokes to unsticky it?

I love working on my home, and sometimes will take hours placing furniture in place, only to accidentally pick it up whilst going to grab something else. I decorate on slow motion, very carefully, meticulously at times, and yet inevitably I will pick up something I never wanted to touch.

Ideally and Addon, or in-game key would be great. In the meantime, do any of you decorating types have any tips on how to avoid accidentally picking up something?
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you accidentally pick something up, don't drop it. Exit the housing editor, while it is still movable and it will go back to where it was before you picked it up.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    If you accidentally pick something up, don't drop it. Exit the housing editor, while it is still movable and it will go back to where it was before you picked it up.

Thank you so much!!! I cannot believe I've been struggling with this since houses came to Tamriel, and never thought to ask before. I asked my guild, and nobody knew. lol You are a genius!
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharalei wrote: »

Thank you so much!!! I cannot believe I've been struggling with this since houses came to Tamriel, and never thought to ask before. I asked my guild, and nobody knew. lol You are a genius!

@Sharalei Hi again! I just wanted to add that my add-on Essential Housing Tools allows you to Undo (and Redo) up to 1,000 changes per House -- including moving, adding and removing items. :smile: You can Undo either using the configurable key bind and/or from the add-on's window under the "Undo" tab.
    Edited by R_K on July 5, 2018 11:19AM
  • d3adkid
    d3adkid
    ✭✭
    Yes and there also should be an option to align it to walls and floors. Placing stuff takes so much time and the whilst previewing it after placing you realize on side has gone through the wall.
    I aspire to become a thin yet fat tank.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There is a keybind in the vanilla UI that puts it back without having to leave the housing editor. Mine is bound to "X," although I don't recall if I reassigned it. However, if you set the piece, it's too late.

Which is why for PC players, the Essential Housing Tools addon is a much better choice. It logs your actions and you can go undo any action for that session. I especially like the feature because, if I have an idea of how something might look better, I can try it and if epic fail, just undo everything I did.
    Edited by Wreuntzylla on July 5, 2018 7:17PM
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey R_K, Fancy seeing you here! :)

OMG! So I could mess about all day, say stuff it, and redo everything and start over. Perfect! Or if I accidentally pick up something, just dump it in the sky and hit redo. Love it! Will definitely be giving this a whirl today.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work. Without you, and others like you, players would be missing out on so much. :)
    Edited by Sharalei on July 5, 2018 10:59PM
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wreuntzylla, thank you for your insights. I'm particularly interested in your fabuous idea, to enjoy experiementing, and if all fails it's no biggy, undo the lot. Fun! :)
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey R_K, Fancy seeing you here! :)

OMG! So I could mess about all day, say stuff it, and redo everything and start over. Perfect! Or if I accidentally pick up something, just dump it in the sky and hit redo. Love it! Will definitely be giving this a whirl today.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work. Without you, and others like you, players would be missing out on so much. :)

What?!?!? I mean, who does he think he is, upsetting the balance of how things have always been done? Creating an incredibly versatile addon AND making changes real time based on player feedback in the forums. Of all the nerve.

If our significant others get wind of this, our lives will become sooooo much harder. Why, if he keeps it up, I may have to give him agrees instead of awesomes or insightfuls.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wreuntzylla, thank you for your insights. I'm particularly interested in your fabuous idea, to enjoy experiementing, and if all fails it's no biggy, undo the lot. Fun! :)

Last night, not long after responding to this thread, I was doing something manually instead of through the addon. I went to undo the action with the vanilla UI and hit the return-to-inventory button by accident. This happens when I start to get tired and have been playing around in housing for several hours.

I was kicking myself because I was not using the addon functionality and was convinced that the addon only logs addon use (which makes sense to me from a software perspective). I hit undo because I am subconsciously an eternal optimist and... it undid my mistake. So, it appears to be logging every action taken in the housing editor, whether through the vanilla UI or through the addon.

The interesting thing is really that I did not get as disappointed as I used to get. It takes longer to drop a single item using the addon. However, once dropped, I may reposition once if I go past the point I am aiming for. Before, I might reposition an item hundreds of times....