The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need some Fishing advice....

Tygerfire
Tygerfire
✭✭
I've been on PC version of the game for a little over a month now, and its allowed me to do a great job at clearing achievements in each zone as I progress through the storyline. The one area I've been skipping is the fishing, but i'd like to remedy that. So here's a few questions.....

What are the essential fishing add-on's and what exactly do they do?

Should I just go through each area until the checklist is done or are there better places to start at?

Will this be profitable at all, and if so, what are the best ways to maximize it?

Any other tips, suggestions, or guides that I should check out?

Thanks for all the help and or suggestions.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's an addon called Destinations, that has, among other stuff, map markers that show you where the fishing holes are in each area and which type of bait you need. There's also a more specialized one, called Votan's Fisherman. I haven't used the latter.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Options
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    b03fa5_887acdfdb727417fb0d2026bd8f934a3.png
    Options
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    first things first...

gather your bait.

don't know about add-on's for fishing, never used them.

fishing can be profitable. on summerset at the moment you can, but probably won't, catch a bottle which may contain pyandonean motifs which sell well. when you process the white fish you have caught you may be lucky and get perfect roe which also sells well.

fishing can also be incredibly frustrating and, without putting too fine a point on it, boring. you need to make careful preparation before fishing to retain sanity. i suggest having your beverage of choice on hand and maybe roll a few, if that's your thing. perhaps a film or other diversion on the spare rig and you are good to go.
    Edited by jedtb16_ESO on June 29, 2018 3:33PM
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use the correct bait for the water you are fishing in you will pull a fish everytime. The addons mentioned above will tell.

If you fish with a group, you have a better chance of pulling a Blue or Green Trophy. Group size of 3 to 5 seems to be optimal, but it can be larger.

There is an addon to help with the fishing and filleting.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If you use the correct bait for the water you are fishing in you will pull a fish everytime. The addons mentioned above will tell.

If you fish with a group, you have a better chance of pulling a Blue or Green Trophy. Group size of 3 to 5 seems to be optimal, but it can be larger.

the bit i put in bold...

no, you won't.
    Options
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need couple Votan's addon (check esoui, don't remember exact name). One is very helpful because help to see when to pull out fish - so you can read/watch something else. It is essential, because if you want to clear this achievements as well, it will take a few days/zone. Another Votan's addon will help to process white fish, you will have thousands of it.

I would look for the guild with regular fish trips. As mentioned above, doing it with friends speed up process tremendously.
    Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only addon I use is Rare Fish Tracker, because it has a toggle for the list of fish in the zone you are in and highlights what you have caught already.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go early
    Go often
    Pack a lunch

You'll be able to make gold from the perfect roe you get but I think you'll find the amount of time invested in gathering bait and in the actual fishing will not be worth what you make from it.
    There are ways to make more gold faster than fishing
    Edited by Katahdin on June 29, 2018 4:22PM
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

the bit i put in bold...

no, you won't.
    Then let's re-word it a little..
    "If you use the correct bait for the water you are fishing in you will pull something usable everytime."
    By usable I mean something that can be filleted or sold, Used Bait is the only thing of zero value and usage both to the players and to the game itself.

Addons:
    Votan's Fish Fillet - ability to fillet all fish or a stack of fish rather than one at a time.
    Rare Fish Tracker - can bring up a window via hotkey to let you know which rare fish you have and have not caught in the current zone. Also can bring up the same window when opening the map.
    Bait Informer - adds to the tooltip which water type the bait is used for. Helpful if you have trouble remembering which bait goes with which water type. Not as useful with crafting bag as its another layer to dig through in order to find the baits.
    Destinations - already mentioned marks SOME positions and indicates what water types they are. Good to give you an idea of where to go for particular water types. Markers can be set to be removed once all rare fish for that type on that map are obtained. Helps to keep the map uncluttered.
    Harvest Map - marks the fishing holes that you fish, can merge data with other players to get their fishing hole spots as well. However its either all fishing markers on or off, cannot hide certain water types and cannot hide on a per map basis.

Tips:
    If you get a Used Bait item, you are using the wrong bait for that spot. Either change bait or move to a different hole. I usually fish a particular water type, so I change holes if I get used bait as that means that the hole I'm at is not the type that I'm wanting to fish.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA