The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Real PvP Issue

Hutch679
Hutch679
✭✭✭✭✭
Everyone screams Sloads as the real pvp issue in ESO. The real issue is the developers are understaffed and the overwhelming majority of focus of the game has been put into the crown store. What ever happened to actual gameplay development? You know, the reason why we play the game!

Discuss.
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real issue is the overperforming Lag.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The real issue is why it takes months to tweak some numbers. I love the Elder Scrolls Franchise but Zenimax Studios has their priorities and thats making content and money. Theres no time to go back and fix whats broken. Zenimax paves forward without ever looking back.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »

System performance is one section of the major issues. Combat balance is another.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    The Real PvP Issue.

It's been and will continue to be lack of soft caps.

Bring them back and you will find pvp MUCH better.

• Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

System performance is one section of the major issues. Combat balance is another.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I've said quite a number of times items in crown store take orders of magnitude less effort and cost to make than fixing game engine issues or creating new world content. I'm almost certain the former is mostly subcontracted to external companies who make the models, animations and other assets, meaning they can be made cheaper. So stopping development of the crown store won't do bollocks to "fix PvP".

And after the Summerset patch I've actually seen an improvement in PvP performance, compared to what I used to have. I mean 30 FPS+ and <100 ping at sieges with 50+ players around, that was unheard of a few months. Those looked like slow powerpoint presentations with a red 999 in the corner. I recommend getting a hard look at your own rig if you continue to have problems, maybe disable some of your addons (those do eat memory like crazy at times and slow the game to almost a standstill). Also take a look at the game settings file to see if the cores are properly mapped - someone from ZoS recommended deleting/renaming the file and letting the game create a new one. The only server issue I've had - and it only happened once - was a desynch/disconnect that affected multiple players. And I've spent a few dozen hours, mostly at prime time (all alliances pop locked or 3 lines) in Cyrodiil in the last 6 weeks or so. PvP is fine, or at least better than it used to be.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I agree, but at least combat balance can already be achieved with player skill, skills, potions, or armour sets. If the basic game mechanics are not working then combat balance will never happen or be effective.
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    As I've said quite a number of times items in crown store take orders of magnitude less effort and cost to make than fixing game engine issues or creating new world content. I'm almost certain the former is mostly subcontracted to external companies who make the models, animations and other assets, meaning they can be made cheaper. So stopping development of the crown store won't do bollocks to "fix PvP".

And after the Summerset patch I've actually seen an improvement in PvP performance, compared to what I used to have. I mean 30 FPS+ and <100 ping at sieges with 50+ players around, that was unheard of a few months. Those looked like slow powerpoint presentations with a red 999 in the corner. I recommend getting a hard look at your own rig if you continue to have problems, maybe disable some of your addons (those do eat memory like crazy at times and slow the game to almost a standstill). Also take a look at the game settings file to see if the cores are properly mapped - someone from ZoS recommended deleting/renaming the file and letting the game create a new one. The only server issue I've had - and it only happened once - was a desynch/disconnect that affected multiple players. And I've spent a few dozen hours, mostly at prime time (all alliances pop locked or 3 lines) in Cyrodiil in the last 6 weeks or so. PvP is fine, or at least better than it used to be.

I have seen 100% the opposite since SS. Pc-NA- vivec daily.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of the amount of difficulty, a larger majority of focus is going towards the crown store than combat/game play. If you spend 80% of your resource allocation to the crown store, and 20% to the combat/game play, then difficulty and amount of effort have no relevance. What you're saying doesn't make sense. It takes more effort to do combat and game play - well no shot sherlock. The point is they aren't making the extra effort to address it. As you see with the update release. Also, have you ever heard of averages? Your experience may not be the same as the overwhelming majority of other players. Meaning you are an outlier of what is happening in pvp. Whereas you may see game improvement, others are experience game breaking effects from the release. You are in a minority category while the majority of other players are having issues.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the real PvP issue is the players.

We have:
    1. Hardcore players
    2. Faction Flippers
    3. 'I just want to unlock skills' players
    4. Zone PvP Players
    5. 'Step back! I have to duel this guy next to our keep' Players

Mix them together and you get spaghetti game play with no awesome sauce. :)

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC performance is a whole different story from console performance. They can continue to "improve" graphics for PC and just tell players to get a new rig or turb down graphics. Console simply does not have that option, the hardware is static for console. Until microsoft or playstation bring out a new console, increasing graphics requirements will result in a loss in performance.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My computer is mostly 7 years old including the OS (Windows 7). Only the graphics card is slightly newer and only mid range. I'm running high graphics settings all the time and it's fine with a few notable exceptions: some trials, specifically HRC, and an overland area in Summerset, namely Ebon Stadmont forest. That's where my FPS drops to 15-20 and the game is quite unpleasant to play. Cyrodiil is completely fine even at big sieges, with pop lock on all alliances. It used to be utter crap a few months ago. So it's clearly not about having the best computer around.
    Edited by Asardes on June 29, 2018 5:26PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far and away the biggest problem with PVP right now is crippling lag, especially at peak hours. I would honestly be fine if they took Cyro offline for a month if that would actually allow them to fix the problem. It is impossible to discuss balance when things arent working as intended.

The second biggest problem in PVP, assuming it's running reasonably smooth at the time, is that CC immunity is just plain broken. I dont want to totally derail this thread, but Rune Cage (which is obviously really strong) wouldnt be nearly as big of an issue if CC immunity work properly and you could reliably break free from hard stuns and receive proper immunity.

A distant third is the never ending search for the mythical concept that is class balance. I am not too fussed about this because something is always going to be FOTM and OP. Good players adapt, bad ones whine on the forums.

In fourth place for me is FOTM gear and builds. Things like sloads are annoying, but there are bigger fish to fry. You can do two things, adapt or fight fire with fire. As an example, it blows my mind that in BGs you will look and half the players have ZERO healing. Well no ***, sloads killed you.

I am honestly not bothered by what many would call a lack of new PVP content. The reality is that Cyro is freaking huge, and end of the day, it's just players fighting players. They added IC, met with complaining from both PVE and PVPers, they added dueling, and they have added BGs. I would like to see BGs expanded, but really, what else do people want? Only real obvious thing is more BG maps(happened), more game types (happened), and more flexibility with teams both from number of teams and number of players on the teams. That could perhaps use some expanding.

But end of the day, if they dont fix the lag, at some point the community will simply give up.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on June 29, 2018 5:43PM
  • DivineFirstYOLO
    DivineFirstYOLO
    ✭✭✭✭

^THIS.

..and the reason why the server is lagging like hell is cause a) it's a potato server and b) zergs are stacking way too much...100 people on the same spot is not going to work..
    Zerg Squad

Godslayer x 4

Pro questing fees for RPers in Cyrodiil, pay your taxes!
    PC - EU

• Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My computer is mostly 7 years old including the OS (Windows 7). Only the graphics card is slightly newer and only mid range. I'm running high graphics settings all the time and it's fine with a few notable exceptions: some trials, specifically HRC, and an overland area in Summerset, namely Ebon Stadmont forest. That's where my FPS drops to 15-20 and the game is quite unpleasant to play. Cyrodiil is completely fine even at big sieges, with pop lock on all alliances. It used to be utter crap a few months ago. So it's clearly not about having the best computer around.

Idk what point you're trying to make here. You kind of just ramble on about how everything is fine for YOU. You make no attempt to address any issues. Loss for words honestly.
  • BrokenGameMechanics
    BrokenGameMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭
    The real issue is a shocking amount of stuff stuff just doesn't work correctly in PVP. Its all just broken. If you stop review battle captures it really becomes more and more apparent.

Broken Game Mechanics is the issue.

For example, literally 5 minutes ago I was riding in in PVP, 670 CP decently distributed, all Gold Medium Armor with two Heavy Monster set, full up on with 22K Health and 41K Stamina and I took ONE, count em, ONE Arrow shot and dropped dead off the horse. My Health and Stamina went to 0 and my Health dropped to 12K!!

I dropped dead with 12K Health. The Death Log shows ONE 9K hit from ONE Lethal Arrow (9,944 dmg) and a Poison for like 447 dmg. That's it, just those two item in the Death Log. In the Capture you can clearly see ONE and ONLY one hit showing to have occurred for the 9,944 hit. Nothing else scrolls for damage. It's all just broken, I can go on with example after example. And this has nothing to do with the stability, crashes, lag and the new enhancement of constant "freezes" in PVP. (Console XBox) This is all stuff in the "if the game hasn't crashed or frozen for you, most of the game play mechanics won't work correctly or be balanced to any degree."

I guess there is some new Bow Passive "If you hit a person on a horse with a single shot, they will drop dead with 59%"
    Edited by BrokenGameMechanics on June 30, 2018 1:41AM
  • schwarzman1
    schwarzman1
    ✭✭✭
    Bugged cc’s and resource poisons but lag is the main issue
    PS4 NA AD
    PSN: schwarzman1
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Idk what point you're trying to make here. You kind of just ramble on about how everything is fine for YOU. You make no attempt to address any issues. Loss for words honestly.

He's trying to say that since he has no issue, no one is having an issue. ;) Sounds like a white knight refusing to attribute issue to its source. The game is in a very sad shape. Lags, imbalances, back to procset meta and etc. Lag fixing would be the first step in the right direction. And fixing random bootout to login screen.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked soft caps. I wonder why they went away from them? They need re adjusting now but meh.