The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Running ESO on Linux

Kumba_Ya
Kumba_Ya
✭✭
Hey guys,
Recently switched to Linux on my PC and I've had some troubles with the textures on ESO
https://ibb.co/kPryCJ
I am using a wine port through PlayOnLinux but the logs read the error.
"003d:fixme:d3d:context_bind_shader_resources Shader 0x7f74d992d7a0 needs 37 samplers, but only 32 are supported."

Currently running a Ryzen 1600X with a GTX970

Would really appreciate it, if anyone knows a solution to this issue :)
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yeah, the wine version of d3d is older than whats really required by ESO. Its still going to draw stuff, but will produce errors.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Sensu wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Recently switched to Linux on my PC and I've had some troubles with the textures on ESO
    "003d:fixme:d3d:context_bind_shader_resources Shader 0x7f74d992d7a0 needs 37 samplers, but only 32 are supported."

I've heard the DirectX 11 over Vulkan, DXVK, implementation works really well with the game. It's not officially supported by WINE but it should be easy enough to hack together. Haven't tried because I installed Windows just to play this game and have yet to go back to Linux out of laziness. Funny enough though, I stopped playing this game completely a little over a year ago. Needed to play less games and focus more on work and self improvement.

I stop in the forums from time to time to check up on any possible indications of the game getting Vulkan support as since it was brought up it's intrigued me.
  • Kumba_Ya
    Kumba_Ya
    ✭✭
    Hey guys,

I've heard the DirectX 11 over Vulkan, DXVK, implementation works really well with the game. It's not officially supported by WINE but it should be easy enough to hack together. Haven't tried because I installed Windows just to play this game and have yet to go back to Linux out of laziness. Funny enough though, I stopped playing this game completely a little over a year ago. Needed to play less games and focus more on work and self improvement.

I stop in the forums from time to time to check up on any possible indications of the game getting Vulkan support as since it was brought up it's intrigued me.

I actually installed the Lutris application and used that to install ESO, they asked if I wanted to use Vulkan. Said yes. And the game works very well, some FPS drops and freezes but can’t tell if that’s just the game or wine
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/okMGtwfiXMo

Maybe this will help?
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/okMGtwfiXMo

Maybe this will help?

That's pretty awesome but it doesn't look ready for primetime and also currently still requires a person to have two GPU's.

It will be a massive game changer if they can iron out the bugs, make it usable with a single GPU, and also create an extremely user friendly GUI for configuration. Imagine if OEM's could provide PC's with linux out of the box that could easily use all Windows applications and have an almost non existent performance difference using passthrough technology like this. Linux desktop market share could skyrocket.
  • LizziAS
    LizziAS
    ✭✭✭
    any chance you got your wirelss xbox one game controller working the the microsoft usb adapter with that?
    -Signature Removed-

• LizziAS
    LizziAS
    ✭✭✭
    Kumba_Ya wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I actually installed the Lutris application and used that to install ESO, they asked if I wanted to use Vulkan. Said yes. And the game works very well, some FPS drops and freezes but can’t tell if that’s just the game or wine

So how long does it take to install that way?
    -Signature Removed-

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try Windows 10 ;)
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Kumba_Ya
    Kumba_Ya
    ✭✭
    LizziAS wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So how long does it take to install that way?

About an extra 10 minutes :smile:
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    The texture issue (introduced with Dragon Bones...) is fixed by using DXVK. It also gives better performance.

You'll need a recent GPU with a recent driver with Vulkan support, though.

You could also try running it through Steam Proton, which includes DXVK.

I myself run the non-Steam version through Steam Proton 3.7 beta, but with the latest DXVK instead of the included one.

Search the forums for "proton" and "linux" and you should find a recent thread detailing how to run ESO on it.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

On the PTS, the Mac client has a Vulkan rendered (on MoltenVK) ;)

So Vulkan ESO is already a reality, just not yet for Windows...
  • LizziAS
    LizziAS
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

i couldnt get it to install it locked up
    -Signature Removed-

• randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EU PS4