The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Jewelry obtained post summerset release marked cannot deconstruct

Swiftii
Swiftii
✭✭
I have 2 items in my bag, one electrum ring and one ornate platinum necklace. I can't deconstruct either. I should be able to, they were recently acquired. Help ticket directed me here. :( I have repaired and turned off all addons..... I have restarted this has been this way for many days.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's intended, they wouldn't want you to be able to get through all the necessary 'content' behind the summerset paywall this quickly. Gotta get you to keep loggin in so them activity numbers look good in the next crown crate meeting.
    Options
  • Swiftii
    Swiftii
    ✭✭
    Where is the not insightful option....... drakk
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible they were old jewelry maybe? All old jewelry got their names updated with Summerset. I would say it's an isolated issue otherwise. If it is some sort of bug, I don't think it's anything that a repair or addons would have an effect on.
    Edited by redspecter23 on June 28, 2018 12:46AM
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swiftii wrote: »
    I have 2 items in my bag, one electrum ring and one ornate platinum necklace. I can't deconstruct either. I should be able to, they were recently acquired. Help ticket directed me here. :( I have repaired and turned off all addons..... I have restarted this has been this way for many days.
    Are they "Bound" to your character(s)? If you equipped either of them, it would no longer be "Bind On Equip", and probably now cannot be deconstructed. Also, some dungeon and trial Boss loot rewards are "Character Bound" and others are often "Bind-on-Pickup", so they become Bound when a character acquires them.

In my experience thus far, all Necklaces and Rings which were Bound for my characters (could be equipped only by one of them) before the Summerset "pre-release" have had the statement "This cannot be deconstructed." added to their tooltips. It applies to jewelry that is part of an armor Set, although I am not sure whether it applies to jewelry which is not part of an armor Set and remained Bind-on-Equip. However, I suspect that ZOS changed a few non-set pieces which I had never equipped to Bound, so they cannot be deconstructed.

Since there is a blank line above the statement and one below, this makes the tooltip too long to show the top row on which the status of the piece is shown (B-o-E, Bound, Character Bound, etc.). Also, the ZOS developer who did the work did not use the same font for the characters that was used for the other text on the tooltip, so the statement is glaringly prominent because it is so ugly and garish in contrast.

In conclusion, what ZOS apparently meant to do is to prevent anyone who had acquired and "saved" jewelry pieces to deconstruct for materials, or to use for "research" to learn a jewelry Trait, will not be able to use them for those purposes. Rather, a player must purchase and install Summerset, then acquire jewelry which the character(s) can either deconstruct for materials or use for "research" to learn its Trait. So, with regard to Jewelry Crafting, someone who begins playing TESO with the Summerset "chapter" will be on an equal footing with the veteran players.

Edited by Shadowshire on June 28, 2018 1:51AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
    Options
  • Swiftii
    Swiftii
    ✭✭
    People are killing me. I clearly stated this jewelry was acquired post summerset release. I GOT THEM AFTER SUMMERSET WAS RELEASED and they definitely should be desonctructable... hence why this is a bug. I do know what the differences are. This post is for the DEVS in which I was instructed by the person responding to my help ticket to post it here. I do not need any other unhelpful information. I need a dev to run:

update Inventory
    set candeconstruct = 'true'
    where character = 'SwiftElm'
    and (item = 'Electrum Ring' or item = 'Platinum Necklace')

That is it.
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on PC/NA or PC/EU I can send you 2 pieces of decon jewelry to compensate for the issue. Just let me know.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because it says it is electrum or platinum does not make it post Summerset drops. First day of release I had a platinum ring in one characters bag even though that character had done nothing.

I have also obtained rings from bags I had pre-summerset but opened them after release and was not able to decon.
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are they "Bound" to your character(s)? If you equipped either of them, it would no longer be "Bind On Equip", and probably now cannot be deconstructed. Also, some dungeon and trial Boss loot rewards are "Character Bound" and others are often "Bind-on-Pickup", so they become Bound when a character acquires them.

In my experience thus far, all Necklaces and Rings which were Bound for my characters (could be equipped only by one of them) before the Summerset "pre-release" have had the statement "This cannot be deconstructed." added to their tooltips. It applies to jewelry that is part of an armor Set, although I am not sure whether it applies to jewelry which is not part of an armor Set and remained Bind-on-Equip. However, I suspect that ZOS changed a few non-set pieces which I had never equipped to Bound, so they cannot be deconstructed.

Since there is a blank line above the statement and one below, this makes the tooltip too long to show the top row on which the status of the piece is shown (B-o-E, Bound, Character Bound, etc.). Also, the ZOS developer who did the work did not use the same font for the characters that was used for the other text on the tooltip, so the statement is glaringly prominent because it is so ugly and garish in contrast.

In conclusion, what ZOS apparently meant to do is to prevent anyone who had acquired and "saved" jewelry pieces to deconstruct for materials, or to use for "research" to learn a jewelry Trait, will not be able to use them for those purposes. Rather, a player must purchase and install Summerset, then acquire jewelry which the character(s) can either deconstruct for materials or use for "research" to learn its Trait. So, with regard to Jewelry Crafting, someone who begins playing TESO with the Summerset "chapter" will be on an equal footing with the veteran players.
    Bound or not only affects your ability to trade an item. It has zero effect on ability to desconstruct.

The only thing that affects that is Locking the item (it won't show in the list.)

OP, I assume it has the disclaimer at the bottom, and in all likelihood, you probably got a hold of a couple bugged pieces.

I doubt they'll do anything with this, but you might get lucky. I would absolutely check the next piece you acquire and immediately tack it onto your open ticket.

Best of luck!

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel
    People are killing me. I clearly stated this jewelry was acquired post summerset release. I GOT THEM AFTER SUMMERSET WAS RELEASED and they definitely should be desonctructable... hence why this is a bug. I do know what the differences are. This post is for the DEVS in which I was instructed by the person responding to my help ticket to post it here. I do not need any other unhelpful information. I need a dev to run:

update Inventory
    set candeconstruct = 'true'
    where character = 'SwiftElm'
    and (item = 'Electrum Ring' or item = 'Platinum Necklace')

That is it.
    Right. See the top line of this reply. If they cannot correct the error, then they should know who can, and direct that person's attention to your OP.

Options
  • dragonz868
    dragonz868
    ✭✭
    I have seen some like that but they say you can not deconstruct they are meant for research only.. And yes I am talking new ones just like the ones you are describing. Not sure why they did that but they did.
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Wrobel @ZOS_GinaBruno
    If the player who wrote the OP has installed the Summerset "chapter", then, on the face of it, that is evidence of a bug.

Then again, when a player's character obtains jewelry at a location that is not in the Summerset Isles, it would not surprise me if at least some pieces continue to be tagged with "This cannot be deconstructed." even after Summerset is installed. (Evidently, after the tag is applied, the game software will never remove it.)

Players who have not installed the Summerset "chapter" continue to receive mostly jewelry which is tagged with "This cannot be deconstructed." However, in my experience, some jewelry pieces which my characters acquire are not tagged with that statement. I have not noted whether how or where the character acquires the jewelry makes a difference.

Of course, I don't know whether this was intended. If it wasn't, then which outcome is evidence of a bug?

Edited by Shadowshire on July 24, 2018 10:02AM

Options
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By any chance, is it possible that common accessories from pre-summerset changed named according to the new material tiers?
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭

Bound or not only affects your ability to trade an item. It has zero effect on ability to desconstruct.

The only thing that affects that is Locking the item (it won't show in the list.)
    What you assert is, I hope, certainly true for Bound and for Bind-on-Equip jewelry pieces which are acquired after a player has installed the Summerset "chapter". As to your remark about "Locking" the item, the context to which you refer is unclear.

As I stated, what I wrote is based upon my observations and experience since the Summerset "pre-relase" was intalled on the NA megaserver. (I have not installed the Summerset "chapter" on my computer).

My "mule toon" had Bound jewelry pieces which became tagged with "This item cannot be deconstructed." and also had identical Bind-on Equip jewelry pieces to which that tag was not applied. Whether the difference was intended by design or was caused by an implementation error, only the ZOS development team might know.

Regardless, after I deposited some of the Bind-On-Equip jewelry pieces in the bank so that I could sell them, I subsequently discovered that their status was changed to Bound and the "This item cannot be deconstructed" tag was added to their tooltip (!). But I am not quite entirely sure, because, as I wrote, the respective Bound and Bind-On-Equip jewelry pieces were identical, and I might have unintentionally deposited the ones which were Bound.

Nonetheless, now I cannot find any remaining jewelry pieces that were in my possession before the Summerset pre-relase which are now Bind-On-Equip, neither in the Bank nor on the "mule toon". The only ones that I can find are Bound and tagged with "This Item Cannot Be Deconstructed". Go figure that one out.

Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had this experience too, and I really think it's a bug; because if I'd been carrying around a plain ornate ring all this time, I'd have noticed it. The non-deconstructable ornate platinum ring I had almost certainly was in the reward bag for a tier 1 jewelry crafting writ.
    Options