Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is going on with ZoS's art team? Motifs get worse every patch.

Animus-ESO
Animus-ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
YaCgwPN.jpg

Above is a picture of the new motif divine persecution next to a old motif Ebony.
For a long since the blood forge dungeon DLC motifs have taken on this faded crappy filter.
Cloth on these motifs look shiny, Every dye looks faded and weak.
What the heck happened? Why is the quality of motifs going down instead of up.

here is another example. Both of these motifs are dyed all cold harbor black.
The new motifs on the left turn grey, the old motifs on the right turn black properly.

OIcxqX7.jpg
Edited by Animus-ESO on June 27, 2018 8:27PM
Dude Where's My Guar?
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot doesn't support your premise. They both look fine, although transliminal violet looks WAY better on the Divine Prosecution armor.
  • YamiKuruku
    YamiKuruku
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah i also don't like those faded out colors and it makes me crazy having a piece of armor i like but does not dye how i want

i just wish they would have an option for it, i guess...like "true colors or shiny stuff" no idea x'D
    -{ PC EU }-
    CP 810+
    x Khazadaar > lvl50 EP | Khajiit magblade | Main&Master Crafter | Bloodletter
    x Mazayee-Kajthux > lvl 50 EP | Argonian Warden Healer | Godslayer
    x Margaux the Undying > lvl50 DC | Breton Templar Healer | Tick-Tock Tormentor
    x Fendryn Olms >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer Necro Healer | Gryphon Heart
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
    x Haj Xal >lvl50 EP | Argonian Healblade | Immortal Redeemer
    x Caessia>lvl 50EP | Imperial Warden Tank | Bringer of Light
    x Andre Valere >lvl 50 AD | Breton SorcTank | Gryphon Heart
    x S'zhan'ir >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit StamDen| Alpha Predator
    x Ri'zaad Sajhan >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit DKTank | extinguisher of flames
    x Mi'ra-Do>lvl 50EP | Khajiit magPlar | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    x Minwe Elsinor>lvl 50EP | Altmer MagDen | Dovahkriid
    x Velen Dres > lvl50 EP | Dunmer Magcro | Voice of Reason
    x Perathea > lvl50 AD | Argonian MagDK
    x Myvth >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer StamDK | Plague of Peryite
    x Nephaal Telvanni > lvl50 EP | dunmer MagSorc | Voice of Reason
    x Ko'haana > lvl50 AD | Khajiit Magsorc
    x Zasha gra-Lashk > lvl50 EP | Orc Stamcro
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just made a thread related to this, seems like black will no longer dye as black on most of the slots on all the new motifs, it comes out as just darl grays. Wasting all this time and money on nice styles, but the dyeing issues make me not want to use some of them, waste of time. The development team is getting rusty in all areas of the game.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think in general they’re doing a great job with the motif models, I agree that the dyes are extremely disappointing. They have so many different dyes in game that it makes no sense to put these washed out, faded filters on the motif style itself. If I wanted a grey on the Divine Prosecution style, I’d use one of the greys already in the palette. I don’t need the blacks to also look grey because I already have those colors available to me. So instead of rich variations of greys to blacks, we end up with a handful of various dyes that all virtually have the same hue.
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot doesn't support your premise. They both look fine, although transliminal violet looks WAY better on the Divine Prosecution armor.

KnrWlDn.jpg
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they had a 'textures' option - or skins for armour (like volcanic, storm, ice etc.)
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have a problem with this. I think armors are supposed to be composed of different types of materials that dye differently by design.

I think this is a good thing because it increases diversity. If all armors dyed exactly the way players wanted them to, I think we'd see extreme repetition of basic themes.

When I've designed outfits, I've enjoyed the process of finding the right dyes for each armor type.
    Edited by zyk on June 27, 2018 8:18PM
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your cup of tea may not sit well with me and vice versa. I think the new motifs look fine, but keep in mind I'm generally not a big fan of ultra shiny armor.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    I don't really have a problem with this. I think armors are supposed to be composed of different types of materials that dye differently by design.

I think this is a good thing because it increases diversity. If all armors dyed exactly the way players wanted them to, I think we'd see extreme repetition of basic themes.

When I've designed outfits, I've enjoyed the process of finding the right dyes for each armor type.

I think it would be the exact opposite effect. all the new armor dyes like *** so all you are ever going to see is the older armor styles being used. That's exactly why ebony armor, daggerfall and older styles are forever sold out on guild traders while Minotaur , ebon shadow , and every other washed out crap dying motifs flood the market never getting sold.
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Animus-ESO
    Animus-ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »
    Your cup of tea may not sit well with me and vice versa. I think the new motifs look fine, but keep in mind I'm generally not a big fan of ultra shiny armor.

If you don't like shiny armor then you must hate the new motifs because it is impossible to dye them anything other then silver. Even cold harbor black comes out silver. All the cloth armor is shiny when you dye it. Its like they spray painted the armor with chrome.
    Edited by Animus-ESO on June 27, 2018 8:25PM
    Dude Where's My Guar?
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your title is a bit misleading since the quality of the armor is increasing from patch to patch. You more likely complain about the dye and there i can partly agree with you. They changed oddly so the colours don't look like they should
    also known as Overlich.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be the exact opposite effect. all the new armor dyes like *** so all you are ever going to see is the older armor styles being used. That's exactly why ebony armor, daggerfall and older styles are forever sold out on guild traders while Minotaur , ebon shadow , and every other washed out crap dying motifs flood the market never getting sold.
    I liked what I did with Ebonshadow when it was introduced. In regards to Minotaur, its chest has been one of the most high demand chapters and thus it is highly farmed, reducing the value of the less popular chapters. I also liked what I did with it. I think the shiny pieces were supposed to be that way. The value of Ebony is directly tied to the value of Writ Vouchers.

Further, I don't want to see more customization options, like the ability to choose the material/shader of each piece. Performance in this game suffers enough because of the high level of outfit customization. Customization is fun, but so too is stutter-free combat.
    Edited by zyk on June 27, 2018 8:48PM
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

I’ll grant you that the puzzle to match different dyes on different styles is mildly entertaining to me as well, but again, I just think it’d be so much better if dyes were consistent across styles. You could figure out that Coldharbour Ash Black on the cloth parts of Trinimac Medium chests looks pretty similar to Windhelm Steel on the cloth parts of Apostle Medium legs. But I think it’d be a huge QoL improvement if you could just expect to apply CAB to cloth on one style and get a nice, deep black and apply it to cloth on another style and get the same nice, deep black. Because then for players who want an icy, bluish grey for the cloth on those styles, they could select WS for both instead. With what we have now, there are styles where you simply cannot achieve a nice, deep black because the darkest you can get is an icy, bluish grey. So instead of options, I get stuck with a single combination of dyes to get a fairly consistent color across styles... and no black.

Re: different materials dying differently, I think that’s fair to a point. I actually don’t mind that Transliminal Violet for example tends to be a dark purple on most cloths but a yellow gold on most metals. But I wish that we could expect it (and other dyes) to be the same on all metals, instead of, as Jason illustrates, more washed out on newer metals than older ones. And in a world with alternate dimensions, manipulation of time and elements, and talking lizards, I don’t think dying a material some way is particularly far-fetched.

(Also disclaimer: just using random dyes and styles in my example, I have no idea how similar the mentioned color/style combos are in practice.)
  • Ragebull
    Ragebull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on motifs, I just use costumes. They have dye issues too, but it's just easier for me to work with.

Side note: why can't I dye cadwells helm white? It just turns blue no matter what shade of white I use. Wtf man
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »

If you don't like shiny armor then you must hate the new motifs because it is impossible to dye them anything other then silver. Even cold harbor black comes out silver. All the cloth armor is shiny when you dye it. Its like they spray painted the armor with chrome.

I didn't have any issues dying the new armors. Also I should revise my previous statement, I don't mind something tastefully shiny, I don't like the ultra glossy, ultra high contrast, extra vibrant ones though.

I don't generally use more than 2 pieces of the same style in any outfit, I like to mix and match. That being said, there are parts of the new motifs that I like, and parts that I will probably not ever use.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade