The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to use poisons with staves?

xgoldelf
xgoldelf
I have two staffs both Destro Destro equipped. I was able to equip poison to staff and it shows that the poison is equipped under the enchantment but I can never tell if I’m affecting the other. The slots of poisons I have currently won’t decrease, it stays the same. I thought maybe I’d see the amount of poisons I have equipped decreasing but they are not. Any advice on equipping then to staffs? I’m playing on console Xbox
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poisons only proc on weapon light / heavy attack or weapon abilities. If you don't do any of these then it won't proc. You'll hear a "splash" sound effect when it goes off and your weapons will have large clouds of animation effect on them.
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    What’s an idea of a light and heavy attack for staffs ? There was a moment where I thought I saw a dark cloud on my staff but I wasn’t sure how to do it often
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Short press of RT for light attack and hold down for heavy attack.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Static was slightly wrong. Any light, heavy or *weapon ability* has a 20% chance to proc the poison. So your destro staff abilities will proc it too. Class abilities won’t. If a poison is equipped to the weapon, the enchantment will never proc.

Most experienced players do something called threading, which is basically putting light and heavy attacks between abilities. They do good damage, and help you maintain your resource pool. Heavy attacks will return magic to you. Either light or heavy attacks will generate ultimate. This also sets the poisons and enchants off more often.

The animation is pretty subtle and (I think) slightly different depending on the poison. Try putting the poison on the staff, then go out and find some skeevers or trash mobs. Do all light and heavy attacks and see if your poison number drops. (Note: if you’re using drop poisons, you might be picking them up as fast as you is them. But do the test and see if you can see them being consumed). After a poison procs, there’s a cool down. I think maybe twenty seconds.
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Static was slightly wrong. Any light, heavy or *weapon ability* has a 20% chance to proc the poison.

Umm... I said weapon abilities in my first reply as well. My second reply was just to let them know how to use light and heavy attack on console. And yes this includes any destro staff ability.

But back on track, have you had any success using poisons with staves @xgoldelf ?
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    Yes I have it turned it to work well !!! Worked well on staves
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @static_recharge

Yes, you did. This is why I should pick any two of doing writs, smoking or replying to posts, but should not do all three.