Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Transparency in direct vs damage over time

LeagueTroll
LeagueTroll
✭✭✭✭✭
What would be great is for every damage skill, the description states if it is direct dmg or dot, or some direct some dot. The current system is way too confusing.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS can't do that because often they don't know, and because that would require them to fix every skill that is bugged to do a form of damage that it shouldn't.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    ZOS can't do that because often they don't know, and because that would require them to fix every skill that is bugged to do a form of damage that it shouldn't.

Yep, not possible with the way ZOS has designed the game (or rather, failed to design). I sincerely doubt there is any true damage categorization existing in the game.
  • saganblackblade
    saganblackblade
    ✭✭✭
    We could try and keep it constructive. For instance simply putting badges on the tooltips would help a lot direct or dot, aoe or single target, etc.Really shouldn’t be that hard zos has obviously set abilities to scale with direct or dot and with aoe or single. They have to have a dichotomy no matter how convoluted.
  • Najarati
    Najarati
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I was going to suggest placing tags on the skills to indicate their various classifications: [Direct Damage], [Damage Over Time], [Heal], [Buff], [Wrobel], etc.
    Edited by Najarati on June 27, 2018 12:04AM
  • Jerkling
    Jerkling
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would be great is for every damage skill, the description states if it is direct dmg or dot, or some direct some dot. The current system is way too confusing.
    how is the system confusing? when it says it deals X amount of damage over Y amount of seconds (and X amount of damage every Z seconds as well, apparently) it is damage over time and if it doesn't it is direct damage. it couldn't be any simpler.
    casparian wrote: »
    why would you think they don't know and what kind of inside knowledge do you think you have that you think you can determin whether ZOS can fix it or not?
    except for certain AoE damage it's pretty clear what ability does what kind of damage and that there are bugs (that persist) is most likely the product of sloppy work and not the result of them not knowing their own game.

Edited by Jerkling on June 27, 2018 12:21AM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way I know Is to find a test dummy and stack your cp in thermaturge, check the stats, then repeat with master at arms...it’s the only way I knew about an absurd amount of skills that seem like dots, but were direct dmg followed by a dot. And then there is eye of the storm...huge dmg over time, boosts through master at arms...ZoS
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on June 27, 2018 12:31AM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Jerkling
    Jerkling
    ✭✭✭✭
    that is because the tooltips for this kind of AoE abilites are bugged. for more information see this article
    [BUG] The tooltips of most AoE damage abilities show wrong damage

Edited by Jerkling on June 27, 2018 12:50AM
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally I'd like every skill and morph to have a set of tags.

Damage style: Direct/AoE/DoT
    Damage type: Elemental/Magic/Physical/Poison/Disease
    And if it is an Execute or a Proc (doesn't crit)

It would be as simple as a bunch of little icons on the information card of the ability.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then they would finally have to explain the difference between rapid strikes and jabs, and why it is such that one procs ravager and the other doesn’t. That would be glorious.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Best way I know Is to find a test dummy and stack your cp in thermaturge, check the stats, then repeat with master at arms...it’s the only way I knew about an absurd amount of skills that seem like dots, but were direct dmg followed by a dot. And then there is eye of the storm...huge dmg over time, boosts through master at arms...ZoS

the best way to know is to get the monster sets Nerien'eth and Valkyn. tool tips lie all the time, especially with champion point percentage amps. for instance, endless hail is 100% damage over time but some people report the tooltip going up with master at arms.

also do not use Selene's, that says "direct melee damage" and that might be something different in zos land.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially for Puncturing Sweep. This one is:

- direct damage;
    - damage over time;
    - channeled;
    - cone AoE (with visual more like single target);
    - heal;
    - de buff;
    - proc skill;
    - Wrobel;
    bonus: battle-axe (or it's poleaxe) on icon and spear in fact )
    Edited by mocap on June 27, 2018 7:23AM
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my fav: destructive clench with a lightning staff:
    - initial hit is direct dmg single, target
    - follow up dot is damage over time, single target
    - splat is direct dmg, aoe