The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A new addition to Crafting

kriegernight
kriegernight
✭✭
On the Subject of Motifs. This subset of crafting is superficial but for master crafters like myself it is something I like having. The next step int he crafting experience is to upgrade the motifs an ability. ie..
Breton Morif.. Adds X% Breton Skill line for each item
Stahlrim Frostcatcher - X% Resistance to Frost per item
Psijic Order - X% chance of harvesting X amount more per node

and so on
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really. Motifs are fine as they are. Especially since they are not superficial as you suggest. With the outfit system they have actual use.

Great to think of ideas, but we do not need to have everything in the game give a boost to something.
    Edited by idk on June 25, 2018 6:40PM
  • kriegernight
    kriegernight
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Not really. Motifs are fine as they are. Especially since they are not superficial as you suggest. With the outfit system they have actual use.

Great to think of ideas, but we do not need to have everything in the game give a boost to something.

Curious, outside the superficial look, what use do they have? I realize that grinders really just want to be able to have the best equipment and I believe so too. I just think master crafters should be able to add some power to there creations and make it a little better as well as giving functionality to chapters/books that I grind for or purchase.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More motif knowledge increases the chance to get a Master Writ.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for adding power, despite efforts made to balance, someone is going to show that some certain motif will have .01% more DPS. This will cause the player base to decide that every single other motif sucks and only one will be used.

• kriegernight
    kriegernight
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    As for adding power, despite efforts made to balance, someone is going to show that some certain motif will have .01% more DPS. This will cause the player base to decide that every single other motif sucks and only one will be used.

I cant see this is valid. If motif abilities are different and do different things than people will choose what best works for there character. and what they want from there character. That would be like saying there is only 1 worthwhile enchantment or 1 worthwhile trait. If you want your character to be a great thief Having the Abah's Watch Motif add to the pickpocket chance or Dark Brotherhood add to your sneak distance would make both valuable. Or even if its based on a full outfit in a motif like lets say you have Minotaur full armor you can use your assassin blade on al NPCs outside of bosses

Currently the motifs have no actual ability other than looking different. As for the Writs yes you have more availability since the system can ask you to do more but that shouldn't be a craftsman only gain.

This would definitely not be an overnight addition. real thought would have to go into it. But it would give more value to the master crafters out there who prefer to do for themselves instead of constantly dealing with delve bosses. And those who do will still have the better armor and would be more motivated to complete there sets.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that were the case then we would not have 99% of the gear using one or two traits.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motifs are a big part of the Crown Store.

Adding combat abilities to existing motifs creates a slippery slope for ZOS ... because the Crown Store is supposed to be cosmetic only.

Though I don’t support this idea I appreciate the OP trying to think of something new.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If that were the case then we would not have 99% of the gear using one or two traits.

To the OP’s point, you could craft a set in the desired motif ... and then still display whatever motif style you want in the outfit overlay. I don’t think that’s really an issue.

Still, there is a nebulous P2W area with this idea.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    whereas I can think of boosts which are interesting for crafters & farmers, like fishing or collecting nodes, only afraid there interesting for bots too.
    PC-EU @lientier