Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Trial Design

CompletelyToast
CompletelyToast
✭✭✭
Do you prefer the old Craglorn style trials, or new mini trials?
I personally love the old Craglorn style trials
Edited by CompletelyToast on June 25, 2018 10:05AM

Trial Design 41 votes

Old Craglorn trials
90%
Lightspeedflashb14_ESOIruil_ESOTurelusGladiumhondelinkThe_AurorAhzekmaxetroTankHealz2015VaohCompletelyToastDankstaTyrion87LadyNalcaryaTheDominionmobiceraRacheleDrummerx04Marabornwingrionadeptusminor 37 votes
New Mini trials
9%
White wabbitNevascamikemaconReaver-Stormhamre 4 votes
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Old Craglorn trials
    In my opinion the "mini trials" get boring and repetitive very quickly. I personally like long bossfights in general, but it doesn't really work with how most bosses in ESO are designed as the lack clear phases and repeat the same mechanics over and over. I also think trial design in general got a lot worse since MOL, my favourite trial. The newer trials are too cluttered with pointless mechanics, that either do nothing but distract or allow no smart counterplay. I actually like what they have done with CR in comparison to AS, in order to make the mechanics less repetitive and more diverse. But in the end it's pretty much the same, very simple mechanics that only become a problem because the overlap like crazy. I haven't even completed vCR HM jet, but I'm already tired of that trial. I really hope the next trial will be a actual "full" trial again.
    Edited by FakeFox on June 25, 2018 10:22AM
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • RazorCaltrops
    RazorCaltrops
    ✭✭✭
    Maw of Lorkhaj should be the gold standard for future, non-mini full trials.

While they did a pretty good job with cloudrest after AS disaster, the concept of mini trial is simply boring.
    PS4 EU
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Old Craglorn trials
    More trials like vMoL, vHoF.
    Less mini trials like vAS.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Craglorn trials
    vMoL is my favourite trial and I hate vAS and havent tried the new one because I dislike this "mini trial" concept.
    FakeFox wrote: »
    In my opinion the "mini trials" get boring and repetitive very quickly. I personally like long bossfights in general, but it doesn't really work with how most bosses in ESO are designed as the lack clear phases and repeat the same mechanics over and over. I also think trial design in general got a lot worse since MOL, my favourite trial. The newer trials are too cluttered with pointless mechanics, that either do nothing but distract or allow no smart counterplay. I actually like what they have done with CR in comparison to AS, in order to make the mechanics less repetitive and more diverse. But in the end it's pretty much the same, very simple mechanics that only become a problem because the overlap like crazy. I haven't even completed vCR HM jet, but I'm already tired of that trial. I really hope the next trial will be a actual "full" trial again.

100% agree.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on July 2, 2018 6:23PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Craglorn trials
    WTB MoL II
    + they could add rune boxes to HM like in AS, which would contain an outfit style and rare mount/pet/personality/polymorph to sell for extra incentive and leave a skin for the vet completion
    Edited by BigBadVolk on July 3, 2018 11:07AM
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Craglorn trials
    The old trials were much more interesting. Whilst I understand trash fights are not exciting gameplay with the Craglorn style ones I felt like I was progressing through and beating each boss feels like you're stepping forwards.

The mini-trials just feels like the same thing because the progression is the same boss just with extra mechanics added via the extra bosses.

I also think you can tell a better story with longer trials and potentially have more interesting mechanics like group splits or bosses which require gear swaps.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Craglorn trials
    Turelus wrote: »
    The old trials were much more interesting. Whilst I understand trash fights are not exciting gameplay with the Craglorn style ones I felt like I was progressing through and beating each boss feels like you're stepping forwards.

The mini-trials just feels like the same thing because the progression is the same boss just with extra mechanics added via the extra bosses.

I also think you can tell a better story with longer trials and potentially have more interesting mechanics like group splits or bosses which require gear swaps.

Group splits are great :) I'd like non-telegraphed mechanics, e.g. rather that X at 60%, Y at 30%, Z every 60 seconds - I'd just like X, Y & Z to happen at some stage during the fight, then after X Y & Z have happened, they can repeat at the same time, but no pattern to it. (but not crazy like v hm ScaleCaller :lol: still PUGable)
    Edited by Sparr0w on July 3, 2018 11:14AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS