The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PSA: Steam issues - A permanent (though bitter) solution

Lazy_Voyager
Lazy_Voyager
✭✭✭
So Steam has been increasingly having login issues. While there are some bypasses to the login hiccups with varying success, that's not going to be within the scope of this thread. This is about writing Steam out of the picture. Forever.

The downside is you're gonna need to buy a new base client from the 'in-house' provider, since your current client is licensed with Steam, not Bethesda. You'll also probably need Support's help.

The short of it:
  • Find your ESO User ID (@shouldlooklikethis) and ESO password
  • Log in to elderscollsonline[dot]com and purchase a digital copy of the full game (Don't go overboard, you just need the base game at minimum. There's one for ten bucks, if I remember right)
  • Check your ESO account page on elderscollsonline[dot]com for the launcher download link.
  • There probably wasn't one, right?
  • Open a ticket with support and tell them you've purchased an elderscollsonline[dot]com copy of ESO and need a launcher installer (alternatively, get the installer from a friend)
  • BACKUP THIS INSTALLER SOMEWHERE SAFE. You may need it again someday.
  • Download and run the installer.
  • Your new executable launcher should be in [Drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client (in windows, anyway)
  • Run this launcher instead of Steam's. You should now effectively be independent of Steam

Notes:
- The Web Assistant for support DOES NOT WORK in Firefox. Had to install Chrome to file a ticket.
- You might also need to cheese the web assistant choices since getting an option that gives a support ticket link can be a hassle.
- If you forgot your User ID or password, you can request it from elderscollsonline[dot]com account login dialogue. You'll need the associated email address.
- In my case, the DLC, Crown purchases, and Collections items were all available on the in-house client, but your mileage may vary.
- You may need to provide an order number to support when you ask for a launcher installer. You can find that on the elderscollsonline[dot]com Billing History section of your account page
- You obviously won't be getting Steam cards/hours played etc while running the game from this launcher, but you can run it as a "non-steam" game if you want your Steam status to reflect it.
- Your Steam client should still work and still contribute to your account if you want to go back. Don't quote me on that, though.
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege, labora et invenies.
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    I started completely over(I have just been active for about the last month so its not a huge loss like others).....I do not want ANY posibility of the Steam issues causing me anymore problems. Currently I have tickets in with both Steam and Zenimax trying to get a refund for my old non-functional Steam copy....still waiting for the process to work out on either end. Both companies have been polite etc. I have just chosen to no longer be held hostage by whatever problem or feud there is between Zenimax and Steam. Both companies are having a staring contest with us in the middle hoping the other one blinks first.

What's even more frustrating is Steam gave full refunds to practically everyone who bought Bless Online regardless of playtime for less than this.