Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trying to understand my skills - Magicka Nightblade

VirtualElizabeth
VirtualElizabeth
✭✭✭✭
In the last 6 months or so I have fallen madly involve with my Magicka Nightblade. But I realized I really need to dig deep and learn my class. So I am going to quiz myself on burst damage skills vs direct damage vs DOTS. So here I go:

Impale - Executable
Lotus Fan - Direct w/Stun
Merciless Resolve - Direct
Concealed Weapon - Burst
Refreshing Path - DOT with a heal
Shade - Direct Damage
Funnel - Direct with a heal
Cripple - DOT
Sap - Direct Damage

I think I am wrong with these though because I want to say Magblades have more than one burst skill than Concealed. Am I confusing the difference between Burst and Direct Damage? Thanks!!
@ElizabethInAustin
NA/PC
Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun class!
    Concealed is direct damage same as merciless.

Burst is more of a way to describe high amount of damage in a short period like 1-3 sec than a label like direct damage or damage over time that says what a skill does.

Concealed does not deal burst dmg but it can be incorporated in a burst set up.

Concealed is direct.

Lotus is direct, dot and aoe(area of effect) .

Refreshing is aoe and dot

Funnel is direct and hot(heal over time)

Cripple is direct and dot.

SAP is direct, aoe and heal.
    Edited by Yakidafi on June 20, 2018 7:52PM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Burst" is just a term that players use to refer to stacking multiple sources of damage into a very short period of time. It doesn't actually refer to an in-game damage type.

"Direct" does refer to an in-game damage type. If a single source of damage deals all of its damage at once, then it's direct damage. (There are a couple of exceptions, but those are bugs.)

So Merciless Resolve and Concealed are direct damage, but they're also sources of burst damage, since you can combine them with other hard-hitters (or with each other) and a stun to knock someone down from 100-0 very quickly.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Yakidafi and @casparian! When it comes to burst, its more about the combos such Lotus, Conceal, Funnel then like a Ultimate of some kind? Or even Cripple, Lotus, Conceal with Funnel for added heals.

I am not including Merciless because I just find it...awkward?? Not sure if that's the best way to describe. I guess because of the build up needed with light attacks which can be hard to do particularly in PVP.
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on June 20, 2018 8:05PM
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No problem! Most people definitely include an ultimate in their burst combos. Incapacitating Strike/Soul Harvest or even Soul Tether is a staple of basic nightblade burst combos. My stamplar's burst combo begins with Dawnbreaker, DKs have a potent burst option in Leap, etc.

If you don't like using Merciless, I would encourage you to find another class to play. I don't mean to be rude! It's just that the entire class is built around that skill. A magblade without Merciless is just a magsorc with less mobility, less overall DPS, and less burst. At any rate, you need to practice so that weaving in light attacks feels natural and is something you do without thinking about it. That's the only real way to bring out a magblade's full potential.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @casparian I get it, its a deal breaker without it! I am sure with practice I will embrace the Merciless. Part of my problem I think is that I move too fast in terms of my skill usage. Thanks again!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC