The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to light and heavy attack weave as caster?

SanSan
SanSan
✭✭✭✭✭
How am i suppose to l/h atk weave after i use my For Pulse because half the time it wont fire. I'm an inferno staff and it feel super clunky. How am i suppose to make it "flow" if anyone knows?
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look carefully at the end of your staff. If you will see a blast/small fire explosion press skill.
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel
  • SanSan
    SanSan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look carefully at the end of your staff. If you will see a blast/small fire explosion press skill.

I get that but what im saying is my light/heavy attack wont fire after i use force pulse. It just doesnt flow together
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really want to light attack then skill so you are canceling the animation of the light attack. That will feel more fluid and once u get the hang of it, its works very well with force pulse.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odds are you're going too fast. Try slowing down just a little.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it easier to LA with a staff than in melee.

Really just need to practice and get used to it. Start with doing a basic attack and follow it up with a skill. Once you have that down refine it so that basic attack is a light attack.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    light attack weaving you are cancelling the light attack animation, not the ability animation.

so think of it as: light attack - ability - wait - light attack - ability - wait and so on

when people talk about animation cancelling they are talking about the ability. so you can cast elemental blockade and use bar swap or block to cancel the animation. i find block cancelling to be not worth the effort and just make sure my longer animation abilities are ones i cast just before bar swapping. for example i'll swap cancel elemental blockade on my mag sorc.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly you click to fast.

Could also be latency issues. Very often my character move animation from start to finish in 1 go, nothing in between. So impossible to make it "flow" then.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    practise practise practise
  • adeptusminor
    adeptusminor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I say this a lot but a lot of people don't think about it and it's helpful, so pardon me for repeating it again. With how the game does light and heavy attacks, your light attacks don't fire until the mouse button is released. So you wanna do a full "press down->release" on the mouse button then press your skill. A lot of times people press the skill as soon as the mouse button is pressed down, which will cause it to not fire off.
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanSan wrote: »

I get that but what im saying is my light/heavy attack wont fire after i use force pulse. It just doesnt flow together

Remember you want to cancel light attack animation with a skill, not another way around. You are waiting for your light attacks being casted, not skills. You have 2 ways to weave - smash ur LMB all the time, or click it once or twice 0.9s after using a skill. After this, as a priority you wait for your character CASTING light attack, then press skill.
    Youtube Channel
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said you're probably going too fast. Weaving is more about rhythm than pushing buttons fast.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    As others have said you're probably going too fast. Weaving is more about rhythm than pushing buttons fast.

Some call it a dance
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭

Remember you want to cancel light attack animation with a skill, not another way around. You are waiting for your light attacks being casted, not skills. You have 2 ways to weave - smash ur LMB all the time, or click it once or twice 0.9s after using a skill. After this, as a priority you wait for your character CASTING light attack, then press skill.

Is there a difference between canceling the LA animation and canceling the ability animation? I seem to be in the habbit of doing Skill -> LA, which sounds like the opposite of what is recommended here.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a difference between canceling the LA animation and canceling the ability animation? I seem to be in the habbit of doing Skill -> LA, which sounds like the opposite of what is recommended here.

You need to train yourself to do it in the reverse order. Light attack THEN skill. Your goal is to cancel the animation of the light attack.
    Edited by itsfatbass on June 21, 2018 1:22AM
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's start from the scratch. This game has several different actions your character can do, and every has higher priority than previous, to make game reactive and don't lock you in skill animation when you need to block incoming heavy attack. Below I will list actions with least priority to highest:
    1. LA/HA
    2. Skills
    3. Barswap
    4. Block
    5. Dodge roll
    Every action except block has around 1 sec global cooldown, what means in the priority listed above you can do all of them in 1 second, every action canceling animation of the previous. What means, you can't immidietely cancel the animation of dodge roll or a skill with a LA, but you can immidietely cancel the animation of a LA with skill or dodge roll.
    That's why you want to learn LA than skill. From lower prioritized action to higher. Another way around just not gonna work, keep that in mind all the time. Tl;dr

LA-Skill-wait 1s-LA-skill

(It is not exactly 1 sec, a little bit less, like 0.8)
    Edited by getemshauna on June 21, 2018 4:14AM
    Youtube Channel
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭

Let's start from the scratch. This game has several different actions your character can do, and every has higher priority than previous, to make game reactive and don't lock you in skill animation when you need to block incoming heavy attack. Below I will list actions with least priority to highest:
    1. LA/HA
    2. Skills
    3. Barswap
    4. Block
    5. Dodge roll
    Every action except block has around 1 sec global cooldown, what means in the priority listed above you can do all of them in 1 second, every action canceling animation of the previous. What means, you can't immidietely cancel the animation of dodge roll or a skill with a LA, but you can immidietely cancel the animation of a LA with skill or dodge roll.
    That's why you want to learn LA than skill. From lower prioritized action to higher. Another way around just not gonna work, keep that in mind all the time. Tl;dr

LA-Skill-wait 1s-LA-skill

(It is not exactly 1 sec, a little bit less, like 0.8)

Thank you for this! I remember seeing something like this a year or so ago, but I stopped playing after Morrowind and just now am trying to get back into it. This is very helpful!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has always been really unintuitive, especially since it looks as if the animation is happening, but the damage is not consistent. (Funnel Health weaving is even clunkier yet)

The way it was explained to me, was think of it like a "Ka-Boom" with the "Ka" being the light attack, and the "Boom" being the skill to follow.

@TheStealthDude Yes and no.

For purposes of learning the timing, it's easier to learn it as LA > Skill.

Once you have that down, in a rotation, it will end up being fundamentally the same, since it will generally be:
    • LA > Skill > LA > Skill.
      which is the same as
    • LA > Skill > LA > Skill.
    The only places it changes are before or after a bar swap.

The trick is to learn when in each animation you can do the next thing, whether that's the next light attack following a skill, or the skill following the light attack.
    You'll eventually want to learn the reversed timing (how you say you're doing it now) so you know when you can do the next LA > Skill combo.)

So I'll say it again: For purposes of learning the timing, it's easier to learn it as LA > Skill.

Same with bar swap cancelling. You will learn the timing where you can effectively get the skill to fire before the bar swap happens. Do it too fast, and you'll only get the bar swap.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

EDIT: Something else to look for, in either case, a lot of the staff animations are cancelable at the point the staff starts to return to the 'resting' position. If it's still 'moving forward,' you'll probably cancel entirely the first action, as opposed to coupling it with the second one.

For completeness' sake: Heavy attack weaving is the opposite.
    You hold your heavy attack button, while at the same time pressing and releasing the skill button. When the HA naturally completes, the skill will automatically fire.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on June 21, 2018 2:37PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS