The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What is the best Router for this game? (EDIT:6-24-18)

chaz
chaz
✭✭✭✭
Aloha, hello and good day friends. I was recently comparing, price checking, and info gathering for a few routers. One of my main concerns is lag. I like to have a streamless gameplay for the entire duration. I was thinking about this one router I found interesting. NETGEAR - Nighthawk Pro Gaming Wi-Fi Router. AC2600 Dual band Wi-Fi with Geo Filter, QoS, Network Monitor., The current price on that is almost $300 USD. If I'm going to invest money in that kind of gear, it better be worth it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-pro-gaming-wi-fi-router-ac2600-dual-band-wi-fi-with-geo-filter-qos-network-monitor-powered-by-dumaos/6190755.p?skuId=6190755&ref=+P10T12R105&loc=BODY&CampaignID=914631&eut=1604013981

What do you guys think?

Ok, so since posted here on ZOS I haven't heard from anyone. Probably because this place is dead. However posted up on Steam and this is what I've learned thus far. I'm hoping this community here will be more active and try to help out by giving some feedback.
Anything called "Nighthawk Pro Gamer" is a joke.
A router is a router.

Psyringe wrote: »
"Gaming Routers" are more or less a marketing gag, intended to dupe customers who don't really know how networks work . A router (with the respective software) can prioritize whch packets your machine _sends_ first. This is useless in 99% of cases because you shouldn't have a lot of non-ESO network traffic anyway while playing, especially when you're concerned about lag.

A router cannot influence how fast the game server sends packets to you, and cannot influence the packet's route and speed through the Internet. Since lag usually happens on the server or on the traffic route, the so-called "gaming routers" are completely useless in the cases where it would matter.

If you want to spend your money to prevent lag, try to find an ISP that guarantees low ping, if you can find such a thing in your area. That has at least a _chance_ to have a small positive effect.

Gamcull wrote: »
Same goes for any "Gaming Computer" I have ever seen advertised at stores. They are all a joke when it comes to a system that can actually play AAA games at decent frame rates. Just a marketing name they hang on stuff to make gullable people pay more than its worth.
edit: for spelling

Chaz wrote: »
Hmm, odd. Alright. So, when they say this in it's description: [quoteNighthawk]Local connection options and the ability to choose preferred servers help limit game lag, while the Internet utilization monitor lets you keep track of devices that might be using too much bandwidth. With a customizable dashboard, this Netgear Nighthawk Pro gaming router shows usage data and other key details so you can optimize your gaming experience.
That's basically a lie? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but yeah, the time I've spent in ESO PvP was greta the first year, then year 2, especially year 3 server lag has got worse But my setup was always the same.

I asked others in the groups I was with if they experienced the lag, some say yes some say no. I scratched my head on the ones that said no. We all were playing on the same server.

I mean isn't that right? Last time I checked there was no way to pick and chose what server you were on except for the first option whether you played in US or UK servers, and or dedicted servers for console, (Ps, or XB).

So I asked, for over a year how is it they don't suffer from lag? Is it their rig? Router? ISP provider? No one really had a good answer. What I knew was my own facts. I had a pretty good gaming rig, and router was alright, ISP didnt change and the first 2 years in ESO were fine, then year 3 , I'm getting hit by lag. The more people (ZERGS) the more lag.

I mean honestly I see no reason why anyone would give me wrong advice except that they just didn't know. I mean who really does? So instead of cookie cutting and going the same route, I'm looking to take steps to ensure a seemless encounter of game play. To be able to help my group friends without having to apologize for "why I let them die due to lag". As for ISP, any self respected ISP will always offer the basics in package deals for online gaming. Most will offer up 250 to 300 MBS. Depending on pricing I would consider it. For some the price range may be $70 to $80 USD monthly. I have seen UP TO 1Gbps but never considered looking at the price , since I know 300 (which they now offer 400MBS) for about $80. About $80 but ends up being much more with tax and service fees you can't get out of, and if you rent their router, that's the standard $10. or so extra a month and I rather have my own if I know it's dedicated to online gaming use. [/quote]
Edited by chaz on June 24, 2018 9:53PM
Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slight & polite nudge (bump)
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • barigood54_ESO
    My 2Cents...I think problem is not the router but either your ISP or your graphics card. YOu say you have the same setup but the game has been improving and the graphics are much more demanding now... I would find a new faster internet provider and if that cannot be done, try a new graphics card instead of a router...just some thoughts...
  • inclinations
    inclinations
    ✭✭✭
    Most likely pc becoming outdated at 3 years old. The same has happened to me. Computer I bought to play the game now has very low fps, the graphics card is embarrassingly old. In the past year I've gone from 40 fps under heavy load to teens and single digits making pvp a mess and vet dungeons and trials impossible. Its ugly to look at and try to play in.

$ in to graphics card would be my choice if you aren't ready for new pc and what I've always done to squeeze out a little more time with an aging machine. (about a year before you start noticing its junk again so I wouldn't go with a pricey card)
    Vet Maelstrom makes me cry.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking you can buy 'seamless' play is setting yourself up for a fall fella. Too many hops, and too much out of your control. Sure if you have shared internet and need prioritization or QOS a more advanced network solution may help however its rare that's going to be your issue.

Also, why the hostility towards the forum? It's far from dead.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it matters much. I have some 8 year old Draytek that runs fine and the only issues I ever see are due to various connection types I have at home. Wireless works best closer to router, some new power line networking, but only works great in two rooms, and the direct Ethernet is just awesome, but can only afford to wire up two rooms. :)

Unlikely that you need to worry about QoS in most cases unless others are on the network and sucking up all your bandwidth
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes these are all good points for sure. Thank you. Ahh, yes a new gaming rug. Yes this is what I'm doing before I start to invest. I'm being conservative about what I get before hand to limit or reduce the problems I expect to run into. Believe me I appreciate the feedback, it's very helpful. If anyone knows a little about me, I'm not so much the gearhead to build my own rig, I've always just bought outright then souped it up with maxed out ram and better graphic cards.

And yes, you mentioned this game is always updating which this is something I haven't taken into consideration. Buying factory rigs and the age old question of dedicated or integrated is really a no brainer. When I'm ready I will be sure to chose something that's going to suit me and my needs. Though it get's tough if no one really says what rig they're using to get a good idea what brand or brands I should look at. Otherwise, I'm pretty much straight forward an Alienware person. Hey don't judge me, it's worked out for me for years. I don't have one now due to the fact I'm moved and left everything behind.

Oh hey, on the subject of that question, nope. I have no "hostility" towards this or any other forum. It's just that I usually do a lot of reading and may post from time to time an noticed a slight decline in activity around here. Also, that's my opinion and I stand by it.

Alright, thanks all. Many blessings.

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could have the best router in the world but if your modem is junk, your router will be junk. If you have a top end modem and router but if you have a lower end plan from your ISP you will still run into problems with lag.

From a stand point of speed from the internet you need a good plan from your ISP, a good modem and a good router.

From a device standpoint; if you are running a lower end system it could be your system. Typically for a MMO you want a mid-grade system to run the game at max setting, but ESO requires a bit more, therefore you need to get a fairly good system.

This includes CPU, RAM, graphic card, etc...

If you are playing on the PS4, just go with the updates to your ISP, modem and router.

If you play on PC, you will have other things to update to ensure you have a smooth gaming experience with ESO.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting a good idea thank you.

When I'm ready to make a comeback in our great community, I plan on having as much fun as humanly possibly. Will also be shopping wisely for the right set up that suits me.