The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

New guy trying to figure out all that class stuff

Ulendyr
Ulendyr
Soul Shriven
Hello there,

I've created a Dunmer, stam DK (level 6 currently) and uses DW. I've been wondering if I could start using a bow and do relatively fine (maybe go for a bow/DW?) as DK. I don't plan on getting super serious on optimisation and all that but *IF* I wanted to get serious someday, could that be reliable in both PVE and PVP?

I'm also wondering what sort of classes would be lore-friendly for a Dunmer (a Dark Elf shooting ice seems unlikely, right?). if I'm unhappy with my current setup, I'd probably make a new character and try something new. One thing for sure is that I like to dps (I'm not really an mmo player, but I've mostly played squishy DPS in class based FPS games such as TF2 and OW - so that's my sort of thing but I'm open to other options, because why not?) and I would most likely pick a Dunmer again, but once again: I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading. I apologize if my questions seem really noobish and all over the place.
  • schattenkind
    schattenkind
    ✭✭✭
    If youre not plaing on getting super serious, then you can do whatever you like and have fun with. For getting more serious I recommend to look into some existing builds to get an idea what works with what. You dont need to create the exact same build but at least get inspiration in what is possible. If I had to call a name I'd say visit Alcast website and take a look (there are of course others, just the first that came to mind).
    Cant help with the lore-stuff tho...
    PC - EU
    Primary: PvP: magSorc, magNB, PvE: DK Tank, Templar Heal
    Secondary: PvP: magDK, Templar, PvE: Warden something
  • Ulendyr
    Ulendyr
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks! I'll check that out.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ulendyr Look on Alcasthq.com transcendgaming.co and other similar sites.

Dunmer is a really good class, they're BiS for most magicka classes (especially DK) and decent for Stam as they still get a bonus to max stamina.

As for using a bow, the typical PvE setup is DW/Bow as this pushes the most DPS, and the typical PvP setups are DW/2H (Brawler), DW/Bow (Glass cannon) or 2H/Bow (Ranged brawler). It all depends on your playstyle and preference for PvP.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Ulendyr
    Ulendyr
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the answer.
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Dunmer is a really good class, they're BiS for most magicka classes (especially DK) and decent for Stam as they still get a bonus to max stamina.

I've put my points in Stamina until now, but considering I'm still low level, would it be totally fine to start adding points in Magicka (only) from now on? I know I could check that out on the websites suggested above but I thought I could ask that while I'm at it.

I suppose medium armor would be the best in my case?

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ulendyr wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer.

I've put my points in Stamina until now, but considering I'm still low level, would it be totally fine to start adding points in Magicka (only) from now on? I know I could check that out on the websites suggested above but I thought I could ask that while I'm at it.

I suppose medium armor would be the best in my case?

Yep if you want to go stamina it's best to put all points into stamina and wear at least 5 pieces of medium armour.

However you can put a couple points into health when starting off, then when you hit level 40-50 you'll get 2 respec scrolls, 1 for attributes, 1 for skills. It's here you'll want to rebuild your character specifically for your roll.
    Edited by Sparr0w on June 20, 2018 11:17AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Ulendyr
    Ulendyr
    Soul Shriven
    Yep if you want to go stamina it's best to put all points into stamina and wear at least 5 pieces of medium armour.

If I want to go Magicka, how would a DW (or 2H)+Bow do? I suppose armour stays the same though, considering I'll mostly be on melee.

I somehow can't find MagDK builds that include DW+Bow for example. Are they really that incompatible? Am I losing a lot of potential that way?

• Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ulendyr Hi.
    You can definetly go melee weapons + bow as magicka player, maybe you want to go hybrid and you can look at jackdaniells videos for inspiration maybe.

You will not have any problems doing solo pve(not group pve like dungeons either if you know what you do) with that if you have some understanding of the game and the more you learn the easier it will get.

If you want to switch to magicka, all the 1h and 2h melee weapons except maces/mauls will give you bonuses as a magicka player aswell. swords will give you raw dmg, axes will still give the bleed dmg and daggers will give increased crit, if you dw or 2h, not if you 1hs, then you can pick whatever weapon suits you.

Though I would switch out the bow, since it gives you no positive bonus that outweighs a staff as magicka player.

Yes you will lose alot of potential dmg this way :) You can go hybrid and do good, but best possible dmg will come from pure stamina or magicka build.

unless you come up with a hybrid build that outclass all other builds :)

For example I use 2h sword+restoration staff in pvp on mag nightblade. with my Mag dragonknight I use 1hs+Destruction staff. PvP does not have same "ruleset" as PvE when it comes to what weapon you should use as a magicka class to be top of the line.
    Edited by Yakidafi on June 20, 2018 9:03PM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA