Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Undeveloped Areas, will they ever be used?

Rohirthileth
I have found many seemingly undeveloped areas in the Elder Scrolls Online I wish to have more information on as they seem to be future content or placements which help with game development If anyone has more info on these I would appreciate it very much https://imgur.com/odDlqar https://imgur.com/msI8f9Z
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    ....how did you do this?
  • Rohirthileth
    ....how did you do this?

I have found many areas within the game I can slip through invisible walls and have decided to explore these areas I assume are for the developers
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect in time, they will use everything. As long as people keep the game alive by paying for it, of course.

So, sooner or later, they will get around to all the blank spaces on the map... ;)
    As has been said before:
    Enodoc wrote: »
    User-Enodoc-ESO_Regions.png
    Zone code key is inside the below spoiler. Further analysis can be found on my UESP page.
    • AL Alik'r
    • AN Anequina (including the Rimmen city area, shouldn't be called this as Reaper's March also includes part of Anequina, but this name is in the text files)
    • AU Auridon
    • BE Betnikh
    • BF Bal Foyen
    • BI Bleakrock Isle
    • BK Bangkorai
    • BW Blackwood (as seen in Oblivion)
    • CL Craglorn
    • CH Colovian Highlands (also could be West Weald)
    • CY Cyrodiil
    • DE Deshaan
    • EM Eastmarch
    • FA Falkreath (as seen in Skyrim)
    • GC Gold Coast (as seen in Oblivion)
    • GL Glenumbra
    • GS Greenshade
    • GW Grahtwood
    • HJ Hjaalmarch (as seen in Skyrim)
    • KR Khenarthi's Roost
    • MM Murkmire
    • MT Malabal Tor
    • NB Nibenay Basin (as seen in Oblivion, although the text files just calls this Nibenay, which is inaccurate)
    • NV Nibenay Valley (as seen in Oblivion)
    • PA The Pale (also includes the Winterhold area)
    • RE The Reach (also includes the Haafingar area)
    • RI The Rift
    • RM Reaper's March
    • RS Rivenspire
    • QR Quin'rawl (from the text files, although that says Quin-rawl, which is incorrectly puntuated)
    • SF Shadowfen
    • SH Stormhaven
    • SM Stros M'Kai
    • SO Solstheim (as seen in Bloodmoon, Dragonborn)
    • SS South Summerset (No source for name; I made it up)
    • ST Stonefalls
    • SU Sunforge (from the text files)
    • TE Tenmar (from the text files, this area includes the Corinthe city area)
    • TI Topal Island (from the text files)
    • TM Thornmarsh (as stated in the Loremaster's Archive)
    • VH Velothi Highlands (the northwest Morrowind area with Blacklight, but the in-game map doesn't currently allow for the correct geographical shape)
    • WD The Weeping Desert (from the text files)
    • WG Wrothgar
    • WR Whiterun
    ...there are a lot of DLC-sized regions there, they can do DLCs for, for years to come! And some of them can be reached through gaps in invisible walls, and there you can find "placeholder" stuff like... yes, that.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it depends on you! are you doing your part in the crown store? A question one should ask themselves every day!
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • redshirt_49
    redshirt_49
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that Hew's Bane isn't noted on that map.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could always finish Morrowind. That would be awesome.
  • olivesforge
    olivesforge
    ✭✭✭✭

Interestingly, that's because, relatively late in the process, the location of the Thieves Guild DLC was moved from an island (Cybiades) to its current location on Khefrem's Boot. The change was made sometime mid-2015.

ZOS has released most of the content hinted at release (plus Morrowind which was a complete surprise). The fate of the original 3 Adventure Zones was the most varied - only Craglorn was released as planned, with Murkmire completely redone and delayed until Q4 2018, and with Reaper's March switched fairly early on into a home zone when Tenmar fell far behind. As of the end of 2018, Tenmar and the Spiral Skein will be the only things seen in the 2014 pre-release plans still unreleased.

There's still a lot of other, partially-done stuff floating around - the cities of Skingrad and Bravil, and the subzone of Sheogorad. Hopefully we'll see those, too.

PCNA | Aldmeri Dominion
    OlivesForge / Swiss Army Templar | Twink of Insanity / Gankblade | Olivesisnotonfire / Annoying Sorc | E. Angus / Magicka Pigeon-Thrower | K. Angus / Stamina Pigeon-Thrower
    Personage of note in:
    Dominant Dominion | Ethereal Traders Union | Knights of the Istari | CoC | Cyrodiil FG
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a super mario and Alice in wonderland fusion, sheo said It's still under construction.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That map was from what, 2014 or so? @Enodoc could say for sure when he posted it first... but back then, they were thinking about finishing Craglorn, and Imperial City, and Orsinium... presumably, TG and Hew's Bane were not even on their radar back then.

The map also has a few other "terra incognita" redions, southern black marsh, eastern morrowind...
    ...I still expect them to fill those regions as well, in due time. Especially since they can do pretty much whatever there I am guessing...
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bored of Morrowind. To much ash and I have asthma. Besides, all the fungus gets on my nerves.

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    I'm bored of Morrowind. To much ash and I have asthma. Besides, all the fungus gets on my nerves.

N'wah
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I expect in time, they will use everything. As long as people keep the game alive by paying for it, of course.

So, sooner or later, they will get around to all the blank spaces on the map... ;)
    As has been said before:
    Zone code key is inside the below spoiler. Further analysis can be found on my UESP page.
    • AL Alik'r
    • AN Anequina (including the Rimmen city area, shouldn't be called this as Reaper's March also includes part of Anequina, but this name is in the text files)
    • AU Auridon
    • BE Betnikh
    • BF Bal Foyen
    • BI Bleakrock Isle
    • BK Bangkorai
    • CL Craglorn
    • CY Cyrodiil
    • DE Deshaan
    • EM Eastmarch
    • GL Glenumbra
    • GS Greenshade
    • GW Grahtwood
    • KR Khenarthi's Roost
    • MM Murkmire
    • MT Malabal Tor
    • NB Nibenay Basin (as seen in Oblivion, although the text files just calls this Nibenay, which is inaccurate)
    • RI The Rift
    • RM Reaper's March
    • RS Rivenspire
    • QR Quin'rawl (from the text files, although that says Quin-rawl, which is incorrectly puntuated)
    • SF Shadowfen
    • SH Stormhaven
    • SM Stros M'Kai
    • ST Stonefalls
    • VH Velothi Highlands (the northwest Morrowind area with Blacklight, but the in-game map doesn't currently allow for the correct geographical shape)
    • WG Wrothgar
    • WR Whiterun
    ...there are a lot of DLC-sized regions there, they can do DLCs for, for years to come! And some of them can be reached through gaps in invisible walls, and there you can find "placeholder" stuff like... yes, that.

On top of that they still have other dimensions and pockets of Oblivion, like Coldharbor and Clockwork City, that they can fill the outer circle with.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think it would be better if they came back to Morrowind here and there as time went on with other things in between. This give more variety throughout the years.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

As has been said before:
    • AL Alik'r
    • AU Auridon
    • BE Betnikh
    • BF Bal Foyen
    • BI Bleakrock Isle
    • BK Bangkorai
    • CL Craglorn
    • CY Cyrodiil
    • DE Deshaan
    • EM Eastmarch
    • GL Glenumbra
    • GS Greenshade
    • GW Grahtwood
    • KR Khenarthi's Roost
    • MM Murkmire
    • MT Malabal Tor
    • RI The Rift
    • RM Reaper's March
    • RS Rivenspire
    • SF Shadowfen
    • SH Stormhaven
    • SM Stros M'Kai
    • ST Stonefalls
    • WG Wrothgar
    • WR Whiterun

On top of that they still have other dimensions and pockets of Oblivion, like Coldharbor and Clockwork City, that they can fill the outer circle with.
    Aaand this is only Tamriel.
    They can choose to use Pyandonea and the isles between Tamriel ad Akavit for expansions someday (since those would work well for that sort of thing)

And if all that is not enough... there are the frozen remains of atmore, the sunken remains of yokuda, the whole rest of Akavir which iks way bigger then tamriel, and they could even show the ancient and near-mythical elven homeland of aldmeris...

So, they can keep adding stuff to the ESO world for a very long time if they want to. Longer then the game will be around I am guessing, since once upon a time, it will become obsolete and overcome by newer games... but that day is still a good number of years in the future, thankfully! ;)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »

It'll probably happen. Valenwood, Summerset, and High Rock are landmass complete at this point. Finishing out Morrowind will probably happen some day. There's only two zones we're missing, the Velothi Heights and Necrom, Firewatch, Port Telvannis. I suppose it's possible they may split that into two or maybe three zones, but Morrowind is a lot closer than most provinces to completion.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Many of the areas that are now zones were once empty. I recall sneaking up and over the walls around Craglorn right before it went live and getting stuck in the area beyond the gate from Bangkorai and posting pictures here, and of many other places.. but Craglorn was the first new zone to be added.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I wish they'd finish Morrowind.

Perhaps they will make a Sheogorad Dungeon? and maybe also the dwarven city next to Balmora which looks like we'll be able to get into at some point (There is a locked door)

That seems like a way they could do it. I am still disappointed that so many of the dwarven and daedric ruins are locked in vvaadenfel.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an explanation out there as well... A giant tombstone that says rip. It was probably a zone that wasn't wanted anymore
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think it would be better if they came back to Morrowind here and there as time went on with other things in between. This give more variety throughout the years.

god i hope not lol i hated morrowind lol have spent more time in any one the 3 starter islands than the whole island of morrowind lol
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

god i hope not lol i hated morrowind lol have spent more time in any one the 3 starter islands than the whole island of morrowind lol

What a lie.
  • Kawall
    Kawall
    ✭✭✭

That's too much lol in one sentence for my taste.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

You know, Vvardenfell is just a part of Morrowind.
    Not all of Morrowind looks like Vvardenfell or Stonefalls...
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The whole map of Tamriel will be available at some point, it is going to be like a jigsaw puzzle, filing in bits here and there.

As @TheShadowScout stated there are other areas the game can go as welll.

Would not surprise me why we have chapters now that are not called expansions, as maybe an expansion would involve us going to a different landmass? Maybe, maybe not. But the idea of seeing other parts of Nirn is exciting.

Also we have Oblivion, Aetherius and even other parts of Mundus as well..

Plenty of places to go. :)

@Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That map was from what, 2014 or so? @Enodoc could say for sure when he posted it first... but back then, they were thinking about finishing Craglorn, and Imperial City, and Orsinium... presumably, TG and Hew's Bane were not even on their radar back then.
    Yeah, I labelled the map in 2014, but the map itself is from before launch, around June 2013. This would have been well before the current payment model was considered, so everything on that map assumes zones that are all similar sizes to each other. Gold Coast, for example, was going to be a full-sized zone according to this map, not the half-sized zone that we got with Dark Brotherhood.

Thieves Guild was most likely on the radar at this point, but not with Hew's Bane as its own zone. Datamining of the early Thieves Guild suggests a questline where the Guild were being undermined by a Nocturnal cult called the Violet Lodge, and a set of quests that would have taken you to unique self-contained areas like Cybiades in a similar setup to the Mages Guild and Fighters Guild quests.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh that’s nothing compared to some of the stuff you see outside of zones lol.

At one point early in the development of ESO, they were going to connect all of each Alliance’s zones to one another. This obviously changed, but you are seeing the remnants of that old concept.

Try going from the real zone Shadowfen to the underdeveloped Deshaan and you’ll really see what I mean :)

Z3w4Vqo.jpg Here’s an old pic I found online of an old map with zones connected to each other.
    Edited by Vaoh on June 21, 2018 11:42AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Z3w4Vqo.jpg
    Here’s an old pic I found online of an old map with zones connected to each other.
    That's a Subzone map, showing the Tarlain Heights region of Grahtwood, from back in beta when the zone maps were split into subzones. The rest of the icons on the map are the other POIs in Grahtwood.

It's certainly possible that they had planned to put some together, or at the very least, they definitely used the out-of-bounds areas within zone maps to give some details on what should be seen beyond the borders.

Something I like about those maps is that they show very clearly where the zone border gates are.
    Edited by Enodoc on June 21, 2018 1:48PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Z3w4Vqo.jpg
    Here’s an old pic I found online of an old map with zones connected to each other.
    That's a Subzone map, showing the Tarlain Heights region of Grahtwood, from back in beta when the zone maps were split into subzones. The rest of the icons on the map are the other POIs in Grahtwood.

It's certainly possible that they had planned to put some together, or at the very least, they definitely used the out-of-bounds areas within zone maps to give some details on what should be seen beyond the borders.

Something I like about those maps is that they show very clearly where the zone border gates are.

I really prefer these subzone maps tbh. They look so nice!

And yeah, it must be that they planned on connecting the zones. Outside of many zones you can find underdeveloped versions of other zones. I even went to the underdeveloped version of Deshaan once (accessed from Shadowfen) and “discovered” locations on the real Deshaan map that I hadn’t previously visited on that particular character lol. Also if you travel from Glenumbra to the portion of Stormhaven at the top right of the map, it looks totally finished and even has interactable sacks/barrels/etc. The only thing missing is the actual NPCs and doors that allow you to enter the cells like the Lighttower there.