The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Using More than one food at a time

DawnsLight65
DawnsLight65
✭✭✭
Noob here, can you take a health boost food, a stam boost food, and regen foods for both all at the same time? I noticed that I took a health boost food after a stam boost food, and it didnt boost my health.
Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each one you eat cancels out the previous one.

Now, Blue Foods boost two attributes, Purple boost 3. So you can boost two or three stats. And Drinks do the same, but for Regen. Gold foods boost combos of attribute and regen
    Edited by Nestor on June 18, 2018 5:42PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    so, can't stack them like Skyrim. Ok, so only eat blue, purple or gold food if I want to boost both Health and Stam, (or more). All others get rid of.

One more question @Nestor : Can you eat a food, and drink a potion? Or will those cancel each other out as well?
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Potions don't conflict with food or drink, they are separate. The only food/drink that you can stack with other foods AFAIK is psijic ambrosia and it's cousins (experience boost).
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Each one you eat cancels out the previous one.

Now, Blue Foods boost two attributes, Purple boost 3. So you can boost two or three stats. And Drinks do the same, but for Regen. Gold foods boost combos of attribute and regen

it's important to note, that each level boosts more passives, but to a lesser degree. Blue food boosts two attributes, but at a lower amount of boost than just a single green boost to a single attribute.

Same with the Purple food. The amount of a boost to all three is significantly less than boosting a single with green or two with Blue.
    Edited by Tarukmockto on June 18, 2018 9:11PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    What does AFAIK mean @kringled_1 ?
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 19, 2018 1:06PM
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shorthand for As Far As I Know. Acronyms are harsh on new players.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    I'm learning! Thanks for the help @Karm1cOne
  • croakie
    croakie
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this. I’ve been stacking them not realizing they camcel.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    One other thing about foods and drinks, you want to spend a few skill points into crafting them because of passives.
    One makes the effects last longer
    One gives you more food produced per ingredient
    One lets you hire someone to go find ingredients for you,‘‘this is also the only way to get frost mirrium and breve juice other than buying from other players
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    @cjhhickman39 Thank you for that...I've been trying to figure out how to get breve juice to craft my furniture. I guess I'll just have to find more skyshards to get that passive (I use my skyshards and other bonus skill points on crafting-the ones from leveling up I use on combat, etc)
  • mikecrci
    mikecrci
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but drinks cancelling out food is just dumb.

Food and drink GO TOGETHER, geniuses.
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    @mikecrci, are you saying because I asked if they cancelled each other out I was asking a dumb question? That's pretty unfair dude.

I could care less about its designation of whether food or drink, its effect is the question & whether or not the two impact each other on use. And its a legit question since 1) I'm a new player to ESO, and 2) despite having played all previous ES games that allowed stacking of foods and drink effects, I just discovered that food effects don't stack in ESO.

So yes, in order to be properly informed, I am going to logically continue the question line to make sure I have the right idea about how food and drink actually work in ESO, and asking if food and drink effects , (and potion effects), cancel each other out is a natural progression of that.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mikecrci, are you saying because I asked if they cancelled each other out I was asking a dumb question? That's pretty unfair dude.

I think he was simply stating that ESO's logic that a food's effect cancels out a drink's effect, and vice versa, is what is dumb - not your question to determine if cancelling out actually takes place.

But, yes, to corroborate what others have said: in ESO you can only have one attribute-boosting effect active at a time, regardless if it comes from food or drink. The only exception to this is the crafted drinks that increase xp gain (the ambrosias) which can be combined with other food/drink effects.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification @Feric51 . @mikecrci if I misunderstood, I apologize.
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 22, 2018 5:58PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the purple mats in the guild kiosks, it usually sells pretty cheap.

As for Food canceling out Drinks, it makes sense as resource management (attribute pools in this case) is a key element in the game. We were at point a year ago where attribute pools just did not matter and you could spam damage skills without a care in the world. You can still do that now, just not while also having maximized damage stats.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Makes sense for an MMO, where you need to more or less keep a level playing field on the growing attribute dynamics for a large group :) Thank you @Nestor
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing about foods and drinks, you want to spend a few skill points into crafting them because of passives.
    One makes the effects last longer
    One gives you more food produced per ingredient
    One lets you hire someone to go find ingredients for you,‘‘this is also the only way to get frost mirrium and breve juice other than buying from other players

Actually it's one of two ways to get the purple food ingredients -- you can also get them as rewards from doing provisioning writs.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Actually it's one of two ways to get the purple food ingredients -- you can also get them as rewards from doing provisioning writs.
    I believe this is level-dependent. You won't see those ingredients in the lower level packs. Although it could be the main passive for recipe level. I tend to advance the passive to keep up, so the two would be the same for me.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    I believe this is level-dependent. You won't see those ingredients in the lower level packs. Although it could be the main passive for recipe level. I tend to advance the passive to keep up, so the two would be the same for me.

I've seen purple ingredients drop from Tier 1/2/3 writs, where most of my alts do them (for the recipes). Not as often, but overall I get them quite a lot and I've only one character doing top tier provisioning writs.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on June 29, 2018 6:58PM
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

I've seen purple ingredients drop from Tier 1/2/3 writs, where most of my alts do them (for the recipes). Not as often, but overall I get them quite a lot and I've only one character doing top tier provisioning writs.

@Jayne_Doe when you say 'drop' from a writ....does that mean that after you accept a daily writ, then ingredients related to that writ are easier to find in the wild, or that they actually are delivered WITH the writ?
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

@Jayne_Doe when you say 'drop' from a writ....does that mean that after you accept a daily writ, then ingredients related to that writ are easier to find in the wild, or that they actually are delivered WITH the writ?

They're given in the reward sack for completing the writ.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.