The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to unlink your account from steam

partyhead
partyhead
✭✭
Hee everyone,

The last few weeks I've been bored every weekend because a friend of mine couldn't log in because he has a rather new account trough steam.
So I was thinking of a way how to fix it and I did it! He now can login without using steam.

Here's how it works:
1. Buy a non steam eso key (can be a chapter or something small like a pet)
2. Activate it on the elderscrolls site after logging in with your steam account
3. A few minutes later you should be able to connect without using steam

This worked for my friend and I hope it will work for everyone else!
  • rbest62
    rbest62
    I can confirm this works. Bought the base game this morning for $10 and was able to log in through the Bethesda launcher and play. Will cancel ESO+ through Steam and repurchase through ZOS.
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, not to be difficult, but your solution to not logging in through Steam is to effectively buy a non-steam copy (with separate account, I'm assuming?) and log in?

Or are you saying the original account created for the Steam version is the log in you're using with the new non-Steam version?

If so, do your DLC's, and Crown purchases carry over?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure your not logging in through steam? Is the Steam service truely shut down and disabled?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • DonRavello
    DonRavello
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm: You have a Steam ESO game (@OldAccount), buy a new cheap base game through ZOS directly (@NewAccount) and install it, then you link it to your @OldAccount?

Do you still have all your achievements and can you use content like Summerset even if you only purchased a base game? Howe about Eso+?

I'd appreciate a step-by-step guide (and I think more ppl do) including the drawbacks and implications (like ESO+ gone or not).

Thanks ,
    Don
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Are you sure your not logging in through steam? Is the Steam service truely shut down and disabled?
    Agree, are you manually entering your @OldSteamAccountName and password? Because if it's still 'autologging,' it's probably still linked and logging in through Steam.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK if what I did to get rid of logging in through Steam works now as I did this a few years back. What I did was uninstall ESO from Steam, log off of Steam then go to my Account page on the ESO website and login. Once there I downloaded the ESO installer and installed the game to my SSD.

Then I simply logged in to ESO using the ESO Launcher. That's all I did. No idea if that works today. I have had no issues at all with Steam for doing this. Steam does show I purchased the game through Steam and it is in my Library and not installed according to Steam.

Every purchase since buying the Imperial Edition long ago has been through the ESO Store with no issues. Good luck to all those still suffering through this Steamy mess. PUN intended.
    Edited by Trinity_Is_My_Name on June 18, 2018 1:35PM
    Options
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭

Actually, it might works (I didn't test !)

- Go on https://account.elderscrollsonline.com and Sign In through Steam.
    - Reset your password via the "Change my password" button, follow instructions: now you have a UserID + Password to use (and I can actually login on account.elderscrollsonline.com without using the Steam button).
    - Buy something then go in "Redeem code" on your account page.
    - Enter the code, and wait few minutes.
    - Launch eso64.exe then use your credentials.

But I don't know what type of code would works on the Redeem page... I don't want to spend 10$ for something I already have.

@partyhead Can you confirm ?
    Edited by PouletRico on June 18, 2018 1:37PM
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
    Options
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    PouletRico wrote: »

Actually, it might works (I didn't test !)

- Go on https://account.elderscrollsonline.com and Sign In through Steam.
    - Reset your password via the "Change my password" button, follow instructions: now you have a UserID + Password to use (and I can actually login on account.elderscrollsonline.com without using the Steam button).
    - Buy something then go in "Redeem code" on your account page.
    - Enter the code, and wait few minutes.
    - Launch eso64.exe then use your credentials.

But I don't know what type of code would works on the Redeem page... I don't want to spend 10$ for something I already have.

@partyhead Can you confirm ?

I don't think this will work because I can already login to my ESO account without using my Steam login name or password. When I created my account I generated an ESO account first then linked it to Steam during a F2P weekend. After the weekend was over I purchased the game through Steam and that is where my ESO gaming life took an ugly turn for the worse.

If someone who has been confirmed to have purchased the game from Steam after the F2P weekend in November of 2016 actually gets this to work I'd be pleasantly surprised. Also if this does somehow allow you to bypass Steam I'd like confirmation that all expansions, DLC's, crown purchases and characters are present when you login.
    Edited by deyjasagus on June 18, 2018 2:26PM
    Options
  • rbest62
    rbest62
    What I did this morning, was go the the ZOS store and bought the base game. I entered my ESO acct name and pass when I purchase from store. Got email confirming that I purchased. I then exited out of the game since I was logged in through Steam. I then started up the Bethesda launcher (not sure if same as ESO64), which asked me for my ESO account and password. I was able to get into the game, I did port to Hews bane, gold coast and to Summerset. I see that the crowns that I had are still there, I will check out more tonight when get home from work. When Steam was down and tried to use the Bethesda launcher it would tell me that I had to use Steam instead. So from my quick 10 minutes I had before I had to leave for work it seems to work. I did also see this last week while watching twitch that someone was able to do it when steam was down.

Plus it is only $10, is worth to give it a shot.
    Edited by rbest62 on June 18, 2018 2:35PM
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    partyhead wrote: »
    Hee everyone,

The last few weeks I've been bored every weekend because a friend of mine couldn't log in because he has a rather new account trough steam.
    So I was thinking of a way how to fix it and I did it! He now can login without using steam.

Here's how it works:
    1. Buy a non steam eso key (can be a chapter or something small like a pet)
    2. Activate it on the elderscrolls site after logging in with your steam account
    3. A few minutes later you should be able to connect without using steam

This worked for my friend and I hope it will work for everyone else!

Screenshot Steam closed and ESO open at the same time
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it doesn't work for me.

I have a side copy of ESO on steam. its just base game that is on steam.

I have summerset on that copy that was added via direct purchase - code redeemed on ESO account page. I have log in info that is independent from steam. I can log into my ESO account that has steam version of the game connected to it, without having to be logged into steam. (yes, I have confirmed, I have steam open on main desktop PC, and logged into side account page on a laptop - web account that is)

I can NOT log into the game without opening steam first.

i have tested it with both the copy of the game downloaded directly from here (that is what my primary copy is - steam side account is something I got via humble bundle recently) and eso64.exe from my steam copy folder on laptop. neither .exe files work with steam account, only with primary non steam copy. logging in with standard launcher and typing in the account info - doesn't work either.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm for me that you can purchase multiple copies using the same email address or do you need a different email for each one?
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • neekee
    neekee
    ✭✭
    Doubting ...

Got the Morrowind edition in Feb. from Steam. Bought Summerset off third party and activated on ESO website. Couldn't login through launcher last night.
    Options
  • partyhead
    partyhead
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it works with buying a new copy, what does work is buying a chapter or some other thing with a code from one of the sites (there are codes for a pig + 15 days eso+ for 9 euro somewhere (dont think its allowed to link sites))

If you login to the site with your account which you once created and then use the redeem key option where you place this key you unbind your account from steam.
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    partyhead wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it works with buying a new copy, what does work is buying a chapter or some other thing with a code from one of the sites (there are codes for a pig + 15 days eso+ for 9 euro somewhere (dont think its allowed to link sites))

If you login to the site with your account which you once created and then use the redeem key option where you place this key you unbind your account from steam.

this is literally what i did. i bought summerset from green man gaming. i redeemed it directly on ESO account site, no steam involved in redemption of summerset, or logging into the account page. I can NOT log into the GAME unless I'm logging in through steam.

it did NOT unbind my account from steam. it STILL shows it as steam game and it STILL requires for me to run steam in order to start it.

incidentally, the code you are talking about is that humble bundle deal, where I got the steam copy in a first place. it came with separate codes for pig, game and subscription for 2 weeks as well as couple of other goodies for other games, it was humble bundles monthly subscription thing.
    Edited by Linaleah on June 18, 2018 7:13PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • rbest62
    rbest62
    I did just try again once I got home. I exited the steam app and verified in the task manager that I have no Steam app open and client is stopped. I then ran ESO64.exe and enter my credentials and was able to log in that and bring up my character and get in game. It does look like my achievements are still there along with mounts and etc. I ported over to Summerset, Morrowind which I purchased those through Steam. So from all I can tell it is working and I did buy the game through steam around the Nov/Dec of last year (2017).

I did just purchase the $10 base game from the ZOS store this morning. Big test will be when it goes down again.
    Edited by rbest62 on June 18, 2018 11:37PM
    Options
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one of the cheap accounts and I had to use a different email.
    Options
  • rbest62
    rbest62
    I see the banner above, and was able to login and play using described above.
    Options
  • Mahabahabtha
    Mahabahabtha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....they are now making MORE Money out of that Mess ????
    "In fact, I’ve met more PVEers that are worse at PvE than PvPers."
    Options
  • CrystalBallr
    I've seen many different 'solutions' here. I'm not surprised that some are working for some people and others aren't.

I followed a mix of the aforementioned steps and was able to access the game via running ESO64 and logging in with my @Name, which is cool and seems to indicate I have circumnavigated steam (also no steam running on my PC at the time). I verified that my steam purchased ESO+ membership is still present, all my chars are there, progress, achievements, DLC, crowns, etc...

I'm curious as to how updates will work if I continue to only use the base game and not run through the ESO Launcher. Any ideas?
    Edited by CrystalBallr on June 19, 2018 7:24PM
    Options
  • mjonis
    mjonis
    rbest62 wrote: »
    What I did this morning, was go the the ZOS store and bought the base game. I entered my ESO acct name and pass when I purchase from store. Got email confirming that I purchased. I then exited out of the game since I was logged in through Steam. I then started up the Bethesda launcher (not sure if same as ESO64), which asked me for my ESO account and password. I was able to get into the game, I did port to Hews bane, gold coast and to Summerset. I see that the crowns that I had are still there, I will check out more tonight when get home from work. When Steam was down and tried to use the Bethesda launcher it would tell me that I had to use Steam instead. So from my quick 10 minutes I had before I had to leave for work it seems to work. I did also see this last week while watching twitch that someone was able to do it when steam was down.

Plus it is only $10, is worth to give it a shot.

Worked for me.

I bought ESO through Steam like 2 months ago. The only thing I cannot remember is if I created an ESO account first (I already had Steam for The Witcher 3).

Anyway, I found the eso64.exe on my PC, ran it. It asks me to login, I had to dig up my ESO credentials (thank you, Roboform).
    Enter it.

Got the "unauthorized PC) and wait a minute for the code to show up in the email and entered it in and voila.

Only downside is that my add-ons (via Minion) aren't there because looks like Steam puts them into a diff. folder?

But whatever.

Sucks that I had to spend another $10 to get it to work.
    Options
  • HanzeeBokeem
    HanzeeBokeem
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm that the described solution does indeed work. I have been playing through Steam for just over a year and to be honest these recent outages have been more than a tad irritating. You log into the website with the account details that you are required to create even when purchasing via Steam. Then select and purchase the currently discounted base game. Then launch the game with eso64.exe via C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client

Once you have entered your account details they will send a code to the associated email address and off you go B)

Yeah it's annoying but it's a solution and for £7.50 to me it's worth it as I appear to have freed myself from my reliance on Steam. All ESO benefits etc are also working.
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You dont have to purchase a new copy of the game. What you do need to do is overwrite the steam eso launcher. I did this by uninstalling eso in steam and then going to the ZoS website and doing a download here. Then I logged in as normal
    Options
  • NTclaymore
    NTclaymore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont buy the game again just because Zenimax cant get their things together. They should link our steam games without us needing to buy the game again. They should just do it. Its them that are having this issue. We should never ever pay for it.

and 1 free crown crate? this is laughable service.
    He spoke, the son of Padomay, and nodded his head with the dark brows
    and the imortally anointed hair of the great god
    swept from his divine head, and all Mundus was shaken.
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You dont have to purchase a new copy of the game. What you do need to do is overwrite the steam eso launcher. I did this by uninstalling eso in steam and then going to the ZoS website and doing a download here. Then I logged in as normal
    @wtlonewolf20 There is a Steam pre-launcher that loads the normal update client.

Pressing play on the Steam launched update client loads the game and inserts a run-time change to the login mechanism. The actual client/game are the same on either. Steam just adds an additional step. (You can confirm this, as if you look in your client folder right now, you'll see Steam related files, even if you've never used Steam a day in your life. (Easier to deploy everything once.)

I know the files are the same as I have a non-Steam version and a Steam version. The Steam version is symbolically linked to the standard version so everything doesn't download/update twice.

If you try to use your originally created ID and password via a Steam linked account, you will get an error code telling you to launch the game through Steam.

Launching eso64.exe is not the issue. The method of login verification is.

Unless unlinking removes this error, there is something more to it than what you've mentioned.

Earn it.

Options