Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How come only Assists and not Kills reward points in Capture the Relic and Chaos Ball?

Saturn
Saturn
✭✭✭✭✭
I find it to be quite odd that in Capture the Relic and Chaos Ball kills are not rewarded with points, but assists are. Granted, there are specific circumstances in these modes where kills do give points, but assists always just give 100 points per. It is kind of confusing to be honest, and personally I would like to see standard kills always rewarded with points, regardless of gamemode. One of the big issues with gamemodes such as Chaos Ball and Capture the Relic is that defenders are heavily under-rewarded for doing a crucial task, the only exception here are healers, who are rewarded more than players who protect a carrier / team base by killing players. I find it sort of stupid that interrupts in CTR count for nothing, and that as a defender you have to let an enemy team grab your relic before you gain any points for defending it.

Please note that I am referring to Medal Points, and not Team Score Points. The difference is that in CTR, for example, if one person always grabs the flag, and their team mates always support, those team mates will have less than a thousand points at the end of the match, despite winning, while the repeated Relic carrier will have several thousands. Changing the way this works would accurately reflect every team member's contribution to the match.

I do think Battlegrounds have many flaws, most of which can't be fixed without almost completely overhauling it, but this is something that can be remedied and I believe this is a big part of why gamemodes other than DM aren't played as much.

EDIT: Assists in Domination and Crazy King do not reward points, and as such I've edited the title / content to reflect this. Quite strange actually, but also helps explain why, out of all gamemodes, Land Grab has people with the least amount of points on the Leaderboard.
Edited by Saturn on June 16, 2018 11:47AM
"Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that the intent to not give medals in the flag games match types for killing blows was to disuade people from turning it into a deathmatch.

I'm sure we've all seen people that have gotten to the end of the match with around 30 killing blows and a sub 500 score. This person obviously hasn't healed/attacked the relic/ball carriers. Other than scoring with the relic/ball and getting medals for assists that is the only way to get medals in flag games.

Has this person contributed to the team? Maybe.

This person with the ~30 killing blows can just as easily be on the losing team. Just means that they were killing the wrong people.

• del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is in place to protect magDK medal scores in CTR who are too slow to run relics and lack an execute
    PCNA

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There should definitely be more points rewarded for various support levels in these modes of play.

Fending off invaders in Capture the Relic, often eight at a time should be worth at least half what collecting a relic should be. Unless the goal is everyone goes, leaving three groups chasing each other, none of which can return an enemy relic without possessing their own? Also, protecting the relic carrier / ball carrier, etc should be worth something.

Healers and tanks should be getting the support credit they deserve, especially since these modes (land grab, chaos ball, CtR) seem designed with those builds in mind. Should be more to these (yes, even in deathmatch) than KB's. (Keeping opponents locked down, keeping opponents from getting KB's - heals, shields, all it the anti-KB, if you will should warrant more attention than they currently get credit for.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the intent to not give medals in the flag games match types for killing blows was to disuade people from turning it into a deathmatch.

I'm sure we've all seen people that have gotten to the end of the match with around 30 killing blows and a sub 500 score. This person obviously hasn't healed/attacked the relic/ball carriers. Other than scoring with the relic/ball and getting medals for assists that is the only way to get medals in flag games.

This person with the ~30 killing blows can just as easily be on the losing team. Just means that they were killing the wrong people.

That was my assumption as well.

Honestly, other than chaos ball and deathmatch, they really need to revamp the other modes (or downright delete them). Too many players avoid PVP and win matches with 20+ deaths/1 kill/5 assists but run in stealth . Though I guess that's the fault of the "uber elite" pvp crowd not caring about fighting on objectives either.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • DarkJester1
    DarkJester1
    ✭✭✭
    I still think Capture the Relic should give points for defending. I defend most fo the time because I'm good at it, but it sucks that I get no points for it. :/
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think Capture the Relic should give points for defending. I defend most fo the time because I'm good at it, but it sucks that I get no points for it. :/

Definitely. It's an integral role, but you end up with no points for doing it. Instead of only being rewarded for killing people with your flag, or returning it, you should gain points for killing people near your base, as well as interrupting flag captures.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Too many players avoid PVP and win matches with 20+ deaths/1 kill/5 assists.

The thing is, pvp doesn't just mean killing the other players. I get the fact that a lot of gamers only consider killing as pvp, but pvp simply means player vs player. I compete against other humans all the time in racing games, is that not player vs player?

I pvp, and I'm sure I'm not alone, for the competition, not to rack up as many kills as possible. Unless of course that's the obj. I actually prefer game modes that put killing at the bottom as I like modes where team tactics and strategy is placed above simply killing.

Saw a guy go 22-5 with less than 600 points on the losing team and couldn't help but smile as I know they were upset with how they racked up so many kills yet ended up on the bottom of his own team while the winning team (mine) had a handful of kills but outplayed the opponents at the objective.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »

Too many players avoid PVP and win matches with 20+ deaths/1 kill/5 assists.

The thing is, pvp doesn't just mean killing the other players. I get the fact that a lot of gamers only consider killing as pvp, but pvp simply means player vs player. I compete against other humans all the time in racing games, is that not player vs player?

I pvp, and I'm sure I'm not alone, for the competition, not to rack up as many kills as possible. Unless of course that's the obj. I actually prefer game modes that put killing at the bottom as I like modes where team tactics and strategy is placed above simply killing.

Saw a guy go 22-5 with less than 600 points on the losing team and couldn't help but smile as I know they were upset with how they racked up so many kills yet ended up on the bottom of his own team while the winning team (mine) had a handful of kills but outplayed the opponents at the objective.

Yea that's why I mentioned my last sentience regarding pvp players being salty they yolo'd too much on the kills lol.

Then again, Ive seen people in some BGs only use cloak and run away to sit on flags. That sounds more boring than fighting scripted computer enemies; in fact you aren't fighting anything you are playing hide and seek lol.

Edit:
    Kills/assist/deaths should impact your score a bit. If you have no kills/assists then your score will be weaker. Flipside if all you do is kill, but don't do it on/around objectives, your score should be terrible too lol.
    Edited by Minno on August 6, 2018 10:13PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always felt that should add a smart radius around your relic area like in flag games. That way you get points for defending and healing more often. Only issue I see with this is people exploiting it