The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Finishing Quests

DawnsLight65
DawnsLight65
✭✭✭
I'm new to game, level 21 Stamblade, but this keeps coming up. I start a solo quest...breeze thru the under quests, multiple opponents no problem, then I get hit with the quest boss, and get my ass kicked. Over and Over. I can't finish quests. I get stopped at that last one each time. I even use food buffs, and I have never used food buffs much before. I have to go away, start other quests to level up some more, make or buy new armor, and even then when I come back a few levels later I still get my ass kicked by those bosses. I can only succeed if I am at least 5 levels higher than when I first encountered the boss. Even tho every other opponent in the quest was a breeze to kill. I've studied technique, and realloted skills, switched things up.... I just want to start a quest, and be able to work it thru to its conclusion, without being blocked out of finishing it. I have 25 quests now, none of which are finished because of this. What am I doing wrong??!!
Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Since One Tamriel, everything scales to you until level 50ish. Then you might notice things getting a little harder for a while.

What skills are you using? Does your gear level match your level? Do you have your gear enchanted? What food are you using? Are the quests solo ones or could you have a friend/guildie along for help if you need it?
    Options
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Due to auto leveling you there is no point in getting more levels to kill boss.

Check following:

1. Do you understand what gear do you need? Magicka or Stamina?
    2. Do you know how to roll/dodge? Are you blocking? Do you have at least one self heal or damage shield?
    3. Get at least green gear close to your level if you have problems. It is dirty cheap on guild traders. On your character sheet you can see how system evaluate your gear, try to have couple stars at least.
    4. Food. Either level provisioning or buy blue food on guild traders.
    5. Google leveling guide - they have more deep explanation of above.
    Options
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Solo Quests, and the quests I am doing are listed as can be done solo. I am a Stamblade, level 21 now. Yes, my gear is also 20-21, heavy, with stam boosts, with the Warrior Poets Cuirass (health)on at the moment, because its the best thing at my level I have found/been able to produce. (I'm leveling blacksmith, enchantments too-I like to build my own weapons/armor) 1 medium belt, with Stam Boost. However, if I find something in the world better than what I have, you bet I'm equipping it since my blacksmithing skills are not as developed as I'd like yet. Most points in Stam-15, some health-5, Magicka-7

I am dual blade primary, level 28, with bow secondary level 12. I have all the heavy armor passives I can get up to my level, except Juggernaut. The same for my Khajit (Nimble). Slotted Skills: DB: Swallow Soul, Veiled Strike, Bloodthirst, Whirlwind, Consuming Trap. (Swallow Soul and Consuming Trap are both REALLY good at knocking down health of enemies, at least for me) BOW: Swallow Soul, Consuming Trap, Snipe, Volley (not full on Bow, because 1) not sure what is truly effective 2) using points elsewhere) No ultimates slotted yet. The swords are standard steel 21 with Hardening Glyph & physical resist on one, and Flame Glyph and physical resist on the other. The bow is also oak 21 with physical resist and Shock Glyph.

I generally use potions for in-fight regeneration, and don't use food buffs much because I was trying to create a character that doesnt NEED food buffs to fight effectively (RPG days) but I'm learning it may be the only way to get past things, so creating food effects that last for minutes rather than seconds is something I am working on... primarily the Health, Stamina Boosts and Regen, (most I get is roughly a boost for 35 min right now) but I am still unsure how to use the food buffs effectively. Its obs not something that can be initiated mid-fight. I'm only recipe improvement level 2 so the boosts are pretty low I'm sure on what I produce... Tarragon Chicken, Garlicky Greens, Green Salad, Panfried Trout etc... I learn every recipe I can...

So, how bad is it? (I dont have my character in front of me, so I might be off on attribute levels by one or so)
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 14, 2018 4:43PM
    Ra'avi Ahjonihr Khajit Stamblade, Level 1500Master ThiefCrafter and ExplorerHero of the Dominion, Pact, and CovenantMember of the DragonguardFriend to Razum-darFavored of Azura
    'It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do.' -M'aiq the Liar
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the quest bosses do have mechanics that need to be followed. You may be able to find information via google on the fights to make it easier for you.
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Consider finding a good guild that helps out new players. Wanting to make your own gear is good, but until you get enough research done to make the sets you want to use, ask a crafter to make you a set. People usually ask for training trait to level faster, but sometimes Infused is one to consider. Infused boosts any enchantment you put on the item.

Gear all improved to blue, infused, rekuta level enchants for health and stamina, absorb health on weapons, for example. 5 health glyphs/4 stamina, or the other way around. Food buffs are good; the bonus health can be enough to get through a fight. Stamina builds usually put most points in stamina; you can make up the health through enchants and food.

[there are some quests you have no choice but to do solo; like getting the books from Sheo for the mage's guild. Other quests, like dealing with the alchemist who created the plague in Deshaan can have more than just you at the fight at the end.]
    Edited by JKorr on June 14, 2018 5:07PM
    Options
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!
    Options
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ultimates slotted yet.
    @DawnsLight65
    You need to slot one. Ultimates are boss killers, and without them, you're going to have a difficult time for those solo campaigns, because these bosses aren't the typical Delve/Public Dungeon bosses you encounter. They are stronger.

The game's damage scaling isn't going to help you as you level up. Instead, it's going to get worse the closer you get to level 50.

You do NOT need special gear for these fights. If you're using food buffs, make sure you're using Blue recipes, not the green. Blue recipes do two attributes at once (most usually do health + mag/stam).

If you're in a guild, ask if someone can craft you leveled purple foods, which increase all 3 stats.

If you're playing a NB, then every single attribute point needs to go into Stamina. If you've split them up, head to a shrine and pay gold to reset them (or use the Attribute reset reward you received leveling up). Put every point into Stamina.

Then, craft enchantments/use sets which increase Stamina. Find the Tower mundus stone and use it (adds more Stamina).

Damage is based on stamina, not weapon stats. The more stamina you have, the more damage you do, meaning you can kill things much faster.

With the skills you have, you can do the following rotation and easily take out any of the bosses:
    Bow - Volley - this lasts about 10 seconds and is DoT (Damage over Time) ALWAYS START OFF WITH THIS SHOT!

Dual wield - Flurry (if you haven't unlocked it, do so) - This is your spammable, which is a low attack

Mix Light Attack, Heavy Attack (to restore stamina), and Bloodthirst (restores health)

Swallow Soul and Consuming Trap are good, but they cost far too much at your level. Running out of Stamina/Magicka is not a good thing when the enemy still has over 50% of health left.

But the most important piece of advice: KEEP. MOVING!

So many times I see new players stand at the bosses trying to take them out without moving about.

With this, if you're still having difficulty taking out solo bosses, you should head to a dolmen and ask people to help you learn to play your skills. Duel them. Don't be afraid to lose the fight. Duels are a great way to learn from others, as well as practice the skills you have.

Finally, one more piece of advice: don't rush to level up.

If you hit 50 before you're ready, the CP system is far less forgiving.

Edited by Violynne on June 15, 2018 11:20AM
    Options
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Violynne - which Ultimate do you recommend I slot first with my settings? BTW I leveled up my Bow to 15 last night and I have upgraded Volley to Endless Hail. Which works well.
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 15, 2018 4:59PM
    Options
  • mateoz
    mateoz
    ✭✭✭
    Unlock your stamina heal (Vigor) through PVP it is an important part of all Stam build and help alot surviving
    Options
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Violynne - which Ultimate do you recommend I slot first with my settings? BTW I leveled up my Bow to 15 last night and I have upgraded Volley to Endless Hail. Which works well.
    @DawnsLight65
    Rapid Fire (Bow) and when morphed, Toxic Barrage. This is another DoT attack, and you can stack them making them an exceptional combo when unleashing hell from above. :smiley:

As your DoTs work their magic, you can then go in and light attack/spam to your heart's content. Make sure you keep an eye on your DoT timers as you'll want to barrage again as soon as it's over.

With these, no solo boss should give you trouble again.

As you level up, you can then explore other ultimates you may be interested in.

As a NB myself, I must also recommend you enter PvP (even if you hate it) and acquire Vigor. The greatest sustain for a NB, and there's no arguing here. It takes level 5 in PvP to get it, about 6 hours to get it. Just stick with a group of people, follow them around, and voila. You can also do battlegrounds if Cyrodiil is too much.

Next, Rend for an Ultimate, morphed from Lacerate. Putting aside the heal capabilities (because you'll have Vigor to make up for this), it's one of the best DoT physical attacks a NB has (it's even better than Steel Tornado). Too bad it wasn't a regular skill. :wink:

For the rest... play around and find what suits your play style. I'm quite sure you'll find what you need.

NBs are a great and fun class to play now.

It wasn't like this 4 years ago!

Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a hard time recommending weapon ultimates to a low level player, since they won't have them available for a very long time (not until the skill line gets to 50). All of the NB ultimates are quite strong in their own way, play with all of them - depending on what you need. Incap is strong single target; bolstering darkness is a whole lot of damage reduction, and soul tether is aoe damage with CC and healing.
    Options
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Which platform do you play on?
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
    Options
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 EU @nihirisutou
    Options
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭

Nice me too! PSN: nihirisutou I can definitely help you out.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
    Options
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best thing for you will be to team up with an experienced player and have them help you out. This game has a lot of moving parts, but an experienced player should be able to identify the problem areas for you and give you some tips.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
    Options
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    @nihirisutou, I'll locate you and send friend request if that's ok..
    Options
  • DawnsLight65
    DawnsLight65
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am definitely working hard at it...and fully intend to eventually have a well rounded fighting character who likes to craft their own equipment.

BTW, I had unlocked the Alliance skill tree by taking Alliance points on my daily reward, and somehow or another I have already wound up to level 3 on that one without even doing PVP, so I'm only two points away from being able to initiate Vigor without needing to PVP, who knew? (Tho I understand the PVP is an important aspect of the mechanics of leveling up.)
    Edited by DawnsLight65 on June 20, 2018 4:38PM
    Options