The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Not Enough Money

blissytheuni
This is gonna sound like a noob question, because it kind of is, but I can't really seem to find enough money to afford any of the houses. I've been playing for about six months, but I've almost exclusively been playing PV and haven't been doing much other than little quests here and there, and I've only recently figured out the guild trading, and so far I haven't been making very much money at all. I've made maybe 30,000 in tireless playing over a good few months, and most decent homes are at least 60,000, and the majority are upwards of a couple hundred thousand. I'm mostly just wondering if the amount of money people have to spend on these million dollar houses comes from years of work or if there something that I'm missing out on.
  • blissytheuni
    PVE**
    I've been playing PVE
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Join a good trading guild. Farm mats and sell enhancement items (things like gold tempers), farm alchemy ingredients, motifs that are in demand (like those you can get through fishing in Summerset). You'll be able to make money in no time.

Alternatively: run public dungeons, too. Get a character/class that has good AOE (like a Templar) and rip through mobs. Collect all the loot and sell it. You'll get enough cash over time to make that 60K relatively easily.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every two days I complete all seven writs twice on each of my fifteen characters. Each writ quest rewards you with 664 gold.

664 x 7 x 2 x 15 = 139,440 gold. This is every two days, and a total of about 2 hours of work across those two days.

On top of that, I'm also earning golden crafting materials.

The downside is I need to keep buying refined materials to keep the writ train going. This can come to a cost of about 300k gold every week or so.

I'm also constantly keeping my two guild traders full of items to sell, usually items worth 4k or more. This slowly brings in extra money.

You will eventually earn millions of gold with this method if you just keep doing it.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »
    Every two days I complete all seven writs twice on each of my fifteen characters. Each writ quest rewards you with 664 gold.

664 x 7 x 2 x 15 = 139,440 gold. This is every two days, and a total of about 2 hours of work across those two days.

The downside is I need to keep buying refined materials to keep the writ train going. This can come to a cost of about 300k gold every week or so.

I'm also constantly keeping my two guild traders full of items to sell, usually items worth 4k or more. This slowly brings in extra money.

You will eventually earn millions of gold with this method if you just keep doing it.

Good for you.
    Not every player has, or more importantly, feels a need to have 15 or more characters, you realise. Keep this in mind.

I've got 9...created because I wanted to try a few race/class combinations as well as I enjoy some good rpg for my characters. Also, I don't believe in "alts" . None of my character is an alt or a "mule". And these 9 is already a struggle... but 15 or more? J-ESO-us... Nah...
    I hate farming mats with every inch of my body. HATE IT. Grinding for motifs too. I do writs whenever I feel mood for it..even lazy writ addon didn't make me enthusiastic about it. lol

Anyway...

To the OP.
    If you're not focused heavily on crafting and becoming a millionaire in eso (and I know people to whom this literally means playing ESO) it will take a while.... but don't get discouraged.
    As it was suggested, farm the mats and then refine them. Focus specifically on gold mats and alchemy mats. Also, style motifs or furniture recipes, especially the purple and rare (or new ones vide Summerset ones) - these usually guarantee some good sum of gold.
    Also, yes, just clearing group or public dungeons give you some good gold. Sell everything you get. EVERYTHING. ;)

if you're on PC get an addon called Tamriel Trade Centre. Alternatively, visit the site https://tamrieltradecentre.com/ , choose your platform and server and check prices as well as what's currently popular and in demand.

You will get your dream house, I am sure. :)
    Edited by duendology on June 13, 2018 1:03PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    Loot everything and sell what you don't want to keep to merchants
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Don't buy anything you can efficiently farm.
    2. Don't upgrade gear you aren't using longterm (until you can afford to upgrade frivolously).
    3. Do writs, use repkits from writs rather than paying a merchant (plus the writs are profitable).
    4. Have some kind of farm you can do mindlessly that generates something to sell on a guild merchant. Farming dailies for anniversary boxes was pretty good, for instance, and now I've kept my trade slots full with motifs since then, and have another 60 or so to sell. Farming mats is probably the easiest one. Farming zone drop weapons can be good, too. You can also grind tel var and sell haikeijo/alchemy mats/runeboxes, if you like doing that. Or farm AP and sell alliance motifs. You get the idea--just find something that lets you sell to players consistently.

I've never "tried" to make money and I've been pretty casual about selling things, but I've been playing the game since the start--by doing basically what I mention above I've spent over 10 million on housing and have decent stockpiles of rare mats, and a nice little 2 million in the bank account for impulse buys.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Catsmoke14
    Catsmoke14
    ✭✭✭
    This one says finding unwanted items in other's pockets can be very rewarding.

No need to create a mess either (your choice). This lazy cat owns Hundings, Mournoth, and a few other middle size lairs.

(Note: The small Autumn's Gate is a nice inexpensive house with a midsize feel)

*See S_Ravenlock below for the straight facts
    Edited by Catsmoke14 on June 13, 2018 2:36PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Level up all crafts so you can do daily writs, these sometimes reward master writs which sell for roughly 500g per writ voucher. So if you get a master writ for 20 writ vouchers you can sell that for roughly 10k.

Jewelry with the new traits sell like crazy, keep an eye out for Psijic portals because those often give infused jewelry or the trait material. Last week I made about 200k just from selling protective and infused jewelry. Research the new pieces you find and sell the rest.

Do daily world boss and delve quests on Summerset. You can pick up one quest of each yourself, the rest you can complete by looking in zone chat for people who ask for help. They can share the quest with the group, this way you'll be able to complete all world bosses daily. The rewards boxes have a chance to give Sapiarch motif pages which sells really well atm.

Fishing is not the most exciting thing in the game but the rewards are better than ever. I am not sure about the details but people make a lot from fishing. If its your cup of tea I would advise looking up a guide and giving it a try.

Farming in Deshaan for Mother Sorrow items (especially fire staves) is also a good way to make money. A fire staff with a bad trait sells for 130k or something, if you get an infused staff it sells for even more.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • S_Ravenlock
    S_Ravenlock
    ✭✭✭
    If you dislike the trade system, then stealing is another option. you can make quite a bit of money by stealing and pick-pocketing greens, blues and purples and then selling them to a fence.
    Mirianna Valoran, Templar, EU
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As pointed out you can do writs. Each max level writ returns over 664 gold. 7 crafts adds up to 4.6k per day and it is very quick once you get used to it. If on PC use Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter to make it even faster.

Do not have all 7 crafts, still good income for who many crafts you happen to have.

On top of that 4k+ daily income writs often reward gold upgrade matts to sell. More income from the same activity. Also can sell any master writs you obtain. This is the gift that keeps on giving.

Lastly, beware what you spend your gold on. Biggest reason players do not have gold is they spend it. Most anything you spend gold on is something you can obtain yourself in game without spending any gold.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can make 30k in a couple days stealing on a single character and thats just the part you fence.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I want the monies ~
    Crafting Writs on 1 or 2 depending...
    & Thieves Guild Tip Board a couple times with my Sneak :smiley:
    ...easy 25K in an hour or two!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duendology wrote: »
    Metafae wrote: »

Good for you.
    Not every player has, or more importantly, feels a need to have 15 or more characters, you realise. Keep this in mind.

I've got 9...created because I wanted to try a few race/class combinations as well as I enjoy some good rpg for my characters. Also, I don't believe in "alts" . None of my character is an alt or a "mule". And these 9 is already a struggle... but 15 or more? J-ESO-us... Nah...
    I hate farming mats with every inch of my body. HATE IT. Grinding for motifs too. I do writs whenever I feel mood for it..even lazy writ addon didn't make me enthusiastic about it. lol

Anyway...

To the OP.
    If you're not focused heavily on crafting and becoming a millionaire in eso (and I know people to whom this literally means playing ESO) it will take a while.... but don't get discouraged.
    As it was suggested, farm the mats and then refine them. Focus specifically on gold mats and alchemy mats. Also, style motifs or furniture recipes, especially the purple and rare (or new ones vide Summerset ones) - these usually guarantee some good sum of gold.
    Also, yes, just clearing group or public dungeons give you some good gold. Sell everything you get. EVERYTHING. ;)

if you're on PC get an addon called Tamriel Trade Centre. Alternatively, visit the site https://tamrieltradecentre.com/ , choose your platform and server and check prices as well as what's currently popular and in demand.

You will get your dream house, I am sure. :)

I don't craft (I've never done a single writ in this game). I can easily make over a million gold a week.

1. Farm raw mats
    2. Resell underpriced stuff
    3. Farm public dungeons

1. Farming can net you 50-100k per hour (easy 100k+ right now with the price of dust being so high).

You need to be part of good trading guilds (good spots are Rawl'kha, Mournhold, Wayrest, Elden Root, and Vivec City, in that order).

You'll also need farming gear (any 2 of Coward's, Fiord, Darkstride, or Jailbreaker). You should also grab this add-on (make sure to read step #10).

2. If you want to resell, you'll need to scour zone chat in populated zones and hustle players into selling things at under market value (if they're selling in zone chat, it means they don't have a trade guild, and therefore have no leverage).

You'll also need to scour various guild traders (especially far off ones) for underpriced goods. This add-on will help highlight underpriced items in guild stores.

3. farming public dungeons guide
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 14, 2018 7:00AM
  • Lakhitia
    Lakhitia
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Lastly, beware what you spend your gold on. Biggest reason players do not have gold is they spend it.

This. Another thing worth mentioning is - be careful how you travel. I never ever just port from the middle of nowhere to wayshrines. I always port to a house or an apartment I own and then run to the nearest wayshrine. Mara's Kiss apartment in Auridon comes in handy - you do have 2 loading screens to get from the room to the street, but once you do get out, the wayshrine is right in front of you.

I used to have the same question as you, OP, took me ages just to grind my way to Autumn's gate. But since I joined a trading guild and started farming Summerset (and to a lesser extent Clockwork) dailies and selling motifs, I've earned a lot.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakhitia wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Lastly, beware what you spend your gold on. Biggest reason players do not have gold is they spend it.

This. Another thing worth mentioning is - be careful how you travel. I never ever just port from the middle of nowhere to wayshrines. I always port to a house or an apartment I own and then run to the nearest wayshrine. Mara's Kiss apartment in Auridon comes in handy - you do have 2 loading screens to get from the room to the street, but once you do get out, the wayshrine is right in front of you.

I used to have the same question as you, OP, took me ages just to grind my way to Autumn's gate. But since I joined a trading guild and started farming Summerset (and to a lesser extent Clockwork) dailies and selling motifs, I've earned a lot.

If you're on PC, there is an add-on for quick traveling from anywhere for free.
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Don't buy anything you can efficiently farm.

People underestimate how much this actually 'saves'. While you farm/harvest you'll find other stuff (chests, heavy sacks, thieves troves and mats from mobs) that you can sell to merchants or in a guild. Not only did you not spend money on what you needed, but you made money while getting it.
  • Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    I am a Nightblade, a sneaky, stealthy, invisible, thief, bandit, assassin, bla, bla, bla, yarrrrr........ Somehow I find a lot of gold and I can’t even recall how? :no_mouth: Finances just appear in the mass thousands! Do you really think I’d tell you how I manage to obtain so much and stitch myself up with the law? :wink:
    Edited by Naughty_Ryder on June 14, 2018 7:35AM
    Fairies are invisible and inaudible like angels. But their magic sparkles in nature.

- I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Group dungeons, as has already been said, is a funny and game-wise form of earning money, while selling every item you get.
  • Woefulmonkey
    Woefulmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    They only way to make serious money is by 'Trading' with a 'Good Guild Trader' which also means doing serious 'farming' of materials and gear and then doing lots of research to determine 'correct pricing'.

So if that sounds 'fun' to you then you need to start by joining a 'Trading Guild' that ensures they win bids for active weekly 'Guild Traders' every week. Just being a member of a guild like that is going to cost you 5K to 10K per week to be a member.

Personally I can't stand that type of 'game play', so here is how you can make about 14K to 20K each day with only about an hours worth of 'farming' and 'NO TRADING'.

Be a Thief (and Murders if you are willing to by the Dark Brother Hood add on) .

You can be a thief without the Thieves Guild add on but it can help a lot.

This takes a bit of up front time investment to up your Legerdemain skills so before you start you should try to have at least 14 to 20 'extra' skill points you can put toward that skill line.

Next find a town and watch other Thieves actively pick pocketing and stealing lock boxes to see what a 'good farming rout' looks like.

Once you know the good marks and where a couple of lock boxes can be regularly found, start stealing.

Opening lock boxes, pick pocketing, and fencing goods all increase your Legerdemain skill so the more you steal the more levels you gain.

If you get the Dark Brother Hood add on, you just need to do the first quest so you get the 'assassination knife', then you can Murder low level town NPCs and rob their corpses. The items you steal for corpses can then be 'fenced' which increases your Legerdemain skill and brings in more money.

Once you start steeling, never 'pay the cops' for any bounties you create, since they take all your stolen goods, which you will want to fence so you can raise your level. Always try to get away... if you bought the Thieves Guild add on they have skill perks that will allow you to get 'clemency' from a guard once per day so you don't have to pay or lose your items if caught.

At that point you just want to refined your farming rout and steal/fence as many items as you can each day (their is a cap to how much you can sell to a fence or everyone would be doing this and the entire game world economy would be ruined).

Doing your rout should take about an hour before you hit your fence cap.

Initially you will probably only make about 5K per day and it will take a bit longer as you will have to manually pick locks and failing to pick pocket a lot.

However once you get your skill up to max, you will be forcing locks in seconds and have an near 100% success rate for pick pocketing.

Then you should be able to easily make between 14K and 20K a day per character with less than an hours effort.

So I say before you become a 'Trader' become a 'Theif'. At least then you will be able to pay your dues to your 'Trading Guild' if nothing else.
    Edited by Woefulmonkey on June 14, 2018 9:22PM
  • blissytheuni
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of the help.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So much bad information. Want to make millions a week? Buy low, sell high.

#DAYTRADERLIFE
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing about the same amount of time. Apart from the Ornate items coming back from writs, and the "sell to merchant" loot like foul hides and ash, I don't sell anything. My characters all do the daily crafting writs, and slowly raise their crafting skills as they bring in a steady income. You'll need crafting skills to make the furnishings for your homes, once you can afford them anyway. None of my characters is a thief (yet).

I have still managed to amass a dozen homes (Ok. four of those were free inn rooms) including Mathiisen Manor at over a million. There's still a lot of furnishing to do, but my Twin Arches, and Autumn's Gate are pretty cozy already, and Sleek Creek has the interior fairly full, even if the outside's a bit bare. The Inn rooms are getting rather full.

My approach has been to avoid spending, so I'm not buying any equipment, but making/farming it all. Mount training takes gold, but since we pick that up on the same run that does the crafting writs, it's like a tax on the writ reward, and each character makes a decent profit on the process. Higher character levels translate to better pay, so PVE development will help you there, too. Master writs add a bit more income, when they drop. You need a lot of crafting (especially trait research) for those, and a bit of good luck collecting the motifs. I wait for the motif, rather than spending gold buying it, so storage for the sealed writs is another necessary expense.
  • Thunder_Downunder
    Thunder_Downunder
    ✭✭✭
    I joined ESO plus and just let the monthly crowns build up. Didn't buy anything with crowns except housing and storage. It takes a while but its the only use I have for crowns. I don't give two stuffs about costumes and dyes etc.

When your not using dropped items to increase your crafting, sell everything. Even if you just vendor it, it still brings in coin if you aren't in a guild.

If you get good items like runestones, just sell them in game to other players. This is pretty easy and can bring in good coin.
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writs!

I personally do writs on all 11 of my characters which is a minimum of 44k a day and usually more like 80k after I sell the gold tempers I get for the day.

But, even if you're only doing it on one character, writs at level 50 are a guaranteed 4k a day... which is 28k a week and 120k a month. It adds up really fast.

I hate farming and don't do it anymore; I just get mats from the surveys I get from writs and buy what I need to fill in the gaps. But before I had my account to that point I'd make myself go mat farming for 30 min to an hour a day whenever possible. Just make sure you max out extraction in wood/cloth/blacksmithing if you do this, refine your raw mats, and sell all your gold & purple upgrade mats.
    Edited by bellatrixed on June 17, 2018 9:01AM
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined ESO plus and just let the monthly crowns build up.

Good point to add - Crowns. There are some things you just can't make, or buy any other way than with Crowns. E.g. if you want to put fire logs in your fireplace, you'll spend Crowns.