The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Loading screens hanging

Tyrolen87
Tyrolen87
Soul Shriven
All of a sudden, about half the times I hit a loading screen the client just hangs, with the loading icon spinning along on the lower right corner.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, lots of other people are also getting the infinite loading screen.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
    Options
  • Voltranox
    Voltranox
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone experiencing long or infinite loading screens, the following troubleshooting steps can help improve your loading times.

Remove any mods or add-ons

To completely remove add-ons, you should perform the following steps:

PC:
    1. Go to the "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in My Documents.
    2. Open the "live" folder (NA megaserver) or "liveeu" (EU megaserver).
    3. Remove all files from the "AddOns" folder.
    4. Remove all files from the "SavedVariables" folder.
    5. Remove AddOnSettings.txt from the "live" folder.

Add Anti-virus and firewall exceptions

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For some anti-virus programs you may need to add entire folders as exceptions.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Repair through launcher

To run a repair through the launcher:
    1. Start The Elder Scrolls Online launcher.
    2. Click on Game Option on top of the News section, and click on the option for Repair.
    3. Allow the launcher to examine all the files for the game. This will take some time.
    4. If any files are found to have problems, the launcher will re-download those files.

Run launcher and game as an administrator
    1. Right-click on the game Launcher and select Properties.
    2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
    3. Check the box that says Run as Administrator.
    4. Click Apply and then OK.
    5. Repeat these steps for ESO.exe, located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\Game\Client (by default).

Please let us know if you see any improvement in loading times. If not, you can contact customer support to start a ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice that ZOS will swoop in to blame it on our PC's or consoles no matter how much proof they have that it is them with the issue almost every single time.
    Options
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    For anyone experiencing long or infinite loading screens, the following troubleshooting steps can help improve your loading times.

Remove any mods or add-ons

To completely remove add-ons, you should perform the following steps:

PC:
    1. Go to the "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in My Documents.
    2. Open the "live" folder (NA megaserver) or "liveeu" (EU megaserver).
    3. Remove all files from the "AddOns" folder.
    4. Remove all files from the "SavedVariables" folder.
    5. Remove AddOnSettings.txt from the "live" folder.

Add Anti-virus and firewall exceptions

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For some anti-virus programs you may need to add entire folders as exceptions.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Repair through launcher

To run a repair through the launcher:
    1. Start The Elder Scrolls Online launcher.
    2. Click on Game Option on top of the News section, and click on the option for Repair.
    3. Allow the launcher to examine all the files for the game. This will take some time.
    4. If any files are found to have problems, the launcher will re-download those files.

Run launcher and game as an administrator
    1. Right-click on the game Launcher and select Properties.
    2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
    3. Check the box that says Run as Administrator.
    4. Click Apply and then OK.
    5. Repeat these steps for ESO.exe, located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\Game\Client (by default).

Please let us know if you see any improvement in loading times. If not, you can contact customer support to start a ticket.

well your support never answers us thats number 1. number 2 is what is the point of posting this when you have thousands of players having the same exact problem at the same exact time???? that makes no sense its clearly on your end why wont you admit it?
    Options
  • Voltranox
    Voltranox
    ✭✭✭
    The loading screen problem has been happening since the last maintenance update.
    Never seen it before. Really noticeable in the last couple of days.

I've been gathering skyshards from Cyro (Sotha campaign) for a new character.
    About half the time when I enter or leave a delve by the door, it will go to loading screen, and stays there indefinitely.

After waiting for a good while and then forcing the game to close, I log back in.
    When I load the same character, half the time it gets stuck in the loading screen again.

I only use about 7 common addons, managed through the Minion program.

Possibly unrelated, but I have also been seeing some new visual glitches while riding around.
    They seem to be lighting problems, where light or shadowed areas will flicker.

There were no problems before the last little update a few days back.
    Since then there was a couple of small Windows updates (including one for Flash), and that's the only change to my rig.
    Options
  • Kattemynte
    Kattemynte
    ✭✭✭
    well your support never answers us thats number 1. number 2 is what is the point of posting this when you have thousands of players having the same exact problem at the same exact time???? that makes no sense its clearly on your end why wont you admit it?

I am getting these issues too but in defense of Zenimax when you have 11 million players, but lets reduce that to just 5 million for sake of argument, and you only have a few thousand, lets say 5 thousand people having issues, that is 0.1% of the community having issues. For me that sounds like personal issues rather than server issues.

Options
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kattemynte wrote: »

I am getting these issues too but in defense of Zenimax when you have 11 million players, but lets reduce that to just 5 million for sake of argument, and you only have a few thousand, lets say 5 thousand people having issues, that is 0.1% of the community having issues. For me that sounds like personal issues rather than server issues.

nah its a server issue people have called it out multiple times with proof cause some people dont even run addons and their still having issues. so its not our *** its their game.
    Options
  • Funsizedmunchkin
    i'm having this issue as well. This problem started for me maybe 2 months with one of the maintenance patches and supposedly the recent patch with summerset was supposed to fix these issues. It seems to me that since summerset, my loading screen times have tripled. Please fix this problem because it's affecting a lot of your customers!
    Edited by Funsizedmunchkin on June 13, 2018 4:49PM
    Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Um you're kind of assuming that everyone has a forum account and that everyone that has the issue has complained about it publicly on the forum. I can tell you I've been with this cluster since launch and only had a forum account within the last year. And zeni isn't going to comment on how many complaints they've gotten through in game support.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on June 13, 2018 7:34PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

Options
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

Um your kind of assuming that everyone has a forum account and that everyone that has the issue has complained about it publicly on the forum. I can tell you I've been with this cluster since launch and only had a forum account within the last year. And zeni isn't going to comment on how many complaints they've gotten through in game support.

thats if ingame support ever emails you back.
    Options
  • trem3c
    trem3c
    ✭✭✭
    These canned recommendations are nonsense.

If you:

1. Had no problems with your add-ons, anti-virus, firewall, running as non-administrator, etc. before a software release.
    2. Now have problems after a software release
    3. Didn't change your add-ons, anti-virus, firewall or running as non-administrator in between those two things

Then the recommendations are useless. Basic computer/software troubleshooting skills are required here. First question is ... What Changed? When the answer is ESO, then that's where you look first. This nonsense of running people around in circles with these idiotic recommendations is really bad.
    Options
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This issue appeared only very recently for me and I've gone down the list provided in their pre-packaged answer; the problem is on ZOS's end, not mine.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
    Options
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never really had the infinite load screen until the last update as well. PC/NA.
    Edited by OldManJim on June 14, 2018 12:40AM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    Options
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have them until a couple days ago. Today it became ridiculous.

We need a patch for this. It's the game's side problem.
    Options
  • ClandestineQueen
    ClandestineQueen
    Soul Shriven
    I've used add-on for a very long time and never had an issue with the hanging load screen until recently.
    Options
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DuskMarine wrote: »
    thats if ingame support ever emails you back.

Can't file an in-game support ticket if you can't get past loading screen.
    Edited by Aesthier on June 27, 2018 9:59PM
    Options
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    My loading screens are only hanging on entering dungeons. My PC has not changed and is a very high end PC. I have over 400mb connection to the internet. So I thing the problem is on your end.
    Options
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also if I reload the client I get in much faster. I thing maybe you have a memory leak in your latest updates
    Options
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unloaded the addins and no change
    Options
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to get into Dead Mans Drop delve.

This only just started happening. I am a retired Senior Systems Engineer for computers and networks and I can tell you this is not my computer causing this issue.

Edited by Lirkin on July 1, 2018 2:01AM
    Options
  • Manchas87
    Manchas87
    @Lirkin should stop creating new posts, please and thank you.
    Just edit, you know how to do it.
    A lot of people here is having problems. Less spam, and more useful comments please.

I will just keep questing on the world and stuff like that, because PvP, Dungeons, and Trials, are unplayable to me right now,
    damn those 800ms!
    Edited by Manchas87 on July 1, 2018 2:59AM
    Options