The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Creating a Duelling Arena Is Impossible Currently

pengwynn
pengwynn
✭✭
Hi there,

So as a leader of a medium sized guild i wanted to create a duelling arena for our members. I wanted to create an arena reminiscent of the Oblivion style arena.

I also wanted to add some line of sight obstacles into the arena as i think it will add variety and create a more level playing field and a better representation of real PVP combat.

Unfortunately upon testing the arena does not work, skills such as the templar spear will cause duelers to be thrown out of the arena, also skills such as the nightblade teleportation will cause them to get stuck within the objects such as stairs, walls, etc.

Is there anything in game that causes collision all the time to a player as i haven't come across any?

If not is ZOS planning on adding any/fixing it?

Many Thanks :)
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if you cover the floor with something else (ie: you cover a pool - the water - to make a solid floor and so you use crates, bases, wood pranks, etc), when you press the keyboard key to use a ground AoE skill (let's say Caltrops), you don't see where Caltrops will land, because the skill radius indicator is now below the crates, bases or pranks you used to cover the water.

Maybe I'm not being clear since it's hard to explain, so just cover the ground with plaques or something and drop Caltrops, Endless Hail, Eruption, etc. to understand what I mean.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Woefulmonkey
    Woefulmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    @pengwynn

If you are trying to make your own 'floor' you are going to have issues.

The reason you don't collide with everything all the time is that 'collision' detection and 'object sliding' is a massively expensive calculation in games. So dev's do everything they can to 'cheat physics' and skip as many of these kinds of calculations as possible.

If they did not you would never be able to get 12 people in your house at the same time or place more than say 50 custom objects within 10 feet of one another.

The reason 'effects' fall though the 'custom floor' is that they are 'sprite effect' not 'game objects' which mean they don't collide with things. They spring up at a location based on the 'real floor' position. This is because 'sprite effect' are cheaper in terms of system resource used than a 'game object'.

So if you are standing on a crate and you cast your AOE spell it does not appear at the level of you feet on the crate but rather appears on the 'real floor' slightly in front of you.

Similarly 'teleport' attacks move the player to a target positions but the 'probably' pin them to the 'real floor'. In the 'game' this is cuts out collision logic and is 'ok' because the game designers can ensure the 'surface' areas players can move to are always collideable. Customizing the game world to ensure you can avoid/reduce 'collision' operations is one of the ways Devs cheat physics in games.

So... how do you make a 'viable' arena players can actually fight in without these 'effect' glitches?

You have to pick a house that has a large flat floor area by default. Many of the 'notable' homes have such an area.

For example 'Earthtear Cavern' and 'Coldharbour Surreal Estate' have a bunch of open flat space I believe but they have basically no buildings or structures with interior space.

Additionally 'Hakkvild's High Hall' has a circular dome structure with pre-existing line of site blocking elements that could probably be used for an medium size arena with little if any modifications.
    Edited by Woefulmonkey on June 12, 2018 8:39PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    pengwynn wrote: »
    Is there anything in game that causes collision all the time to a player as i haven't come across any?
    Grass B)

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • pengwynn
    pengwynn
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies guys. Incidentally i have been using the Coldharbour Surreal Estate to create my duelling arena in the middle. The problem isn't so much the floor but the walls. I understand the calculation thing, i guess it's just unfortunate :(
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you solely want a arena for your guild I would suggest getting the coldharbor house. Land is flat and empty. Dont build your own floors as you will fall through.