The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do NOT install the Mojave Beta

Carmina
Carmina
✭✭✭
Trying to not violate the NDA, but: Do not install Mojave. ESO will not work. As in not playable. Apart from all the OpenGL stuff, it will just not be playable. I tried. It was bad.

C.
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    And, because I just remembered... There are some bleak times ahead, and it would be a good thing if Zen would post regarding this. Because if they do not change the client, this is pretty much the kill shot for ESO on Mac.

- OpenGL Support being removed -> poor frame rates drop to even poorer values -> Rewrite for Metal2 necessary
    - Only true 64 bit apps will be supported -> ESO is at least in parts 32 bits
    - Right now ESO is not playable with Mojave (I did not try after yesterday's maintenance)

So yeah, lots of things to do, and it would be nice if we would get some kind of feedback here, like "Metal2 is in the pipeline" or whatever, because right now it looks like the only way to go for us is to go get a Windows computer.

C.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    A Official Feedback would be nice, is ZoS planning a Metal Port ?
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a pretty huge undertaking.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    apple dont support games. what else is new
  • Loom
    Loom
    Soul Shriven
    Carmina,

I wouldn't confuse the OpenGL deprecation with trying to play the game on Beta 1 of a new version of macOS. Apple does not guarantee that anything will work; in the same NDA you refer to, you acknowledged that this is the case when you installed the beta.

As for unplayable, I'd suggest that you use a mouse, and go to Preferences -> Accessibility -> Mouse & Trackpad and then check the "Ignore built-in Trackpad ..." option. This should leave the game playable.
    Note: you need to turn this one before starting the game.

I'm sure Apple will fix the trackpad driver issues before Mojave is out of beta.

Loom
  • GandalfTheGuardian
    GandalfTheGuardian
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is running fine on my MacBook Pro and on my MacPro with macOS 10.14 Beta (18A293u)

To avoid the rotating camera behaviour, you need to grant the Zenimax Online Studio Launcher 'Accessibility' in the Security & Privacy' Control Panel -> Check the box for the ESO Launcher in the Privacy Tab.
    OSX will ask you for that permission when you start the ESO launcher the first time. If you missed it, you can tick the box in the Security & Privacy Control Panel later. You need to restart the ESO Client the make that permission effective.

With that, I do not have an issue with the trackpad on my MBP.

However, I still have the issue that ESO crash on startup on my Mac Pro, unless I limit the number of cpus:
    -> SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "6" in ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/UserSettings.txt
    Todays patch v4.0.10 did not solve that issue :(
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos has no reason to give an official response. It is a beta test of someone else's OS that is being discussed.

When you do a beta, especially of an OS, you are asking for issues to crop up. Heck, you are asking for other software to not work. It is for the developer to get feedback and for their partners to learn more as well.

So again, do not expect an official reply from Zos. No reason for them to give one on another companies beta.
  • GandalfTheGuardian
    GandalfTheGuardian
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for not being clear enough.
    What I was saying OSX 10.14 Beta has no Issue with ESO, if you install it correctly and vice versa.

ESO has an open issue with multi core systems of any OSX version.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The good news is we'll have a fix for this issue by time Mojave is released to the public. The bad news is the issue will persist while Mojave is in beta.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The good news is we'll have a fix for this issue by time Mojave is released to the public. The bad news is the issue will persist while Mojave is in beta.

Ja, that was helpful. This issue. We were talking about a couple.

Good news with the trackpad, just giving ESO permission in Accessibility did not fix my issue.

Loom, thanks for being a smartass, I know it's a Beta and I know no one guarantees. I am not angry about it not working. I was just warning to not install it. I sincerely hate people who try to get "points" by making useless comments and being mature...

Regarding the official response... No one HAS to post one. But since the news that Apple will remove OpenGL is out there, I thought it would be smart if they did. That's all. Unfortunately, their official post was as useful as a fork while eating soup.

Thanks for the comments though :)

C.
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so I tested, and the truth is actually a mix.

1. ESO does work with Mojave Beta
    2. It's true the "Ignore trackpad when.." option has to be set, as stated by @Loom
    3. The Checkbox in Privacy to enable the ESO launcher to control the system also has to be checked, as stated by @Gandalf

There seems to be no issue with an eGPU and frame rate so far.

C.