Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rolling out of Red - Still getting hit

Esha76
Esha76
✭✭✭✭✭
I have noticed that when I partake in boss fights, whether it be in trials, or World Bosses, I am having significant troubles with the red AoE mechanics.

These fights are pretty straight forward. Red forms, or moves, underneath you - dodge roll away. Not complicated.

I am having endless issues where I am dodge rolling, yet still getting one-shot by these red AoE mechanics. In many cases I am clearly, visually, no longer standing-in-stupid, clearly outside of the Red, yet my character still takes the damage regardless. I have noticed this not only in boss fights, but also from things like regular over-world NPC mobs as well.

Could this be due to a slow connection speed? Hardware issue? Or has my reaction time gotten so bad I need to hand in my driver's licence? It's gotten to the point that I abstain from dungeons and trails with my guild, as I am sick of burning up their soul gems, or getting them killed when my healer is down.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Would a faster connection improve this? Anyone else ever have this problem?
"There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
"I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
"Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
"Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
"Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
"There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
"I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
"I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
"Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
"When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
"Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
  • Greydir
    Greydir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a completly different issue.
    The Game views a Dodgeroll like a Teleport with a 100% Evasion chance. Meaning: If you are in the Animation of the Dodgeroll you will automaticly evade everything that can be Evaded. Many AoEs, especialy AoEs of Boss enemy recently added to the game have a "cannot be Evaded" modifier. Meaning if your Char is percived to be in the Red, the Char will be Hit, regardless of dodgeroll or other Evasion abilitys (Like Histbark for example)
    Next the second Problem with the Dodge roll. It is percived by the Game as a Teleport, with a cast duration, meaning that as long as the Animation is not Completed (IE - The Cast is still ongoing) Your char will be percived by the game to be standing at the start point of the Dodgeroll, with a 100% cance to evade any damage that can be evaded. If the Damage cannot be evaded your Char will still be hit, even if you Percive him to be out of the Target zone. This is the biggest flaw of the Dodgeroll. If you are targeted by a One Hit Mechanic (like the Poison blast in Scalecaller) do not use a dodge roll, because of this flaw. Instead Leave the AoE by running, it is far safer.
    Ebenherzpakt
    Sir Greydir - Dunmer DK
    Don Greydir - Kajit NB
    Ser Greydir - Imperial DK
    Dieser-Greydir-Heilt - Argonier Templer
    Greydir Finsterklinge - Bretone NB
    Greydir Drakenson - Nord Hüter
    Clear: vAA HM - vHrC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF TTT - vAS [+2] - vCR [+3] GH - vSS HM - vKA HM - vRG
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They recently made ground AoEs, red shadows on the ground, undodgable. I know dodging seems like a quick way to reposition your character, but if you are still tucked and rolling even though you are outside the red or you have some lag, you are going to get hit. In this running or sheilding up are your preferred options. (I don't remember what blocking does for ground AoE now.)
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    I often sprint out of red aoe indicators yet still get hit. Could that be a similar issue or more directly related to connection speed? Here in Australia connection is slooooowwwww!
    Edited by Madrax573 on June 10, 2018 11:40PM
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're talking about vet trials, there are some attacks that you have to block - dodge-rolling will not work.
  • Esha76
    Esha76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all very much for your feedback. I will admit, it's rather disheartening. Why ZOS would make such changes, un-dodge-able, I don't get.

But I came for the story and aesthetic in the first place...

Anyhow, thank you all very much. Will try to learn and adjust.
    "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
    "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
    "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
    "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
    "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
    "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
    "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
    "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
    "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
    "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
    "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)