The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

WORKAROUND: LOGIN TIMEOUT FOR STEAM USERS

robertericdavisub17_ESO
Hey guys & gals, I am a Steam user having this issue and I figured out how to get it to work.
Here's how:

1) Go to elderscrollsonline.com and select "Sign in through Steam"
2) Go to your account info and write it down/memorize how your name and email are entered
3) Log out and reset your password
4) There may be a back and forth with a code being set to your email
5) Now, launch the eso64.exe game client directly (e.g. C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client)
6) Login using your reset password from before
7) A code will be sent to the registered email withy ZOS
8) It may take up to 10-15 minutes for the email with the code to arrive, enter it and NOW YOU CAN LOGIN!

Hope it helps! See ya in Tamriel! :)
  • NTclaymore
    NTclaymore
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesnt work for those who bought their game thru steam in the first place. but they really need to make some sort of steam workaround if this continues to be common for the login servers to be down
    He spoke, the son of Padomay, and nodded his head with the dark brows
    and the imortally anointed hair of the great god
    swept from his divine head, and all Mundus was shaken.
  • Moriaelini
    Moriaelini
    Soul Shriven
    I am not understanding why people not logging in via steam seem able to play but those of us who bought and play through steam cannot. I am beyond irked that I am paying for a sub that I cannot even use right now.
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the user t0xyc13 on twitter post a suggestion that (as far as I perceive it logically) might actually work. Maybe.
    Here goes on the image. ftfgej94fbym.jpg
    Edited by Kainarel on June 9, 2018 11:58PM
  • Hooperson
    Hooperson
    Soul Shriven
    Great another day of failed log-in. I am getting sick of paying for a Game that does'nt even log-in half the time along with all kinds of Cheating bots, others are using to cheat the Game, along with, lag and Stutter , in Cryodiil especially . Maybe time to stop ESO subscription. Paying a lot of MONEY and for What ? Maintance problems ALL the Time without Beth or Zin even fixing the Main issues. They just keep adding more CRAP to sell , rather than really fix the Game Issues.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Moriaelini wrote: »
    I am not understanding why people not logging in via steam seem able to play but those of us who bought and play through steam cannot. I am beyond irked that I am paying for a sub that I cannot even use right now.

Because the devs at ZOS dont know what they are doing. I have used Steam to play games for over 10 years, and this is literally the only game i ever have had problems with when it comes to steam. All my other games work fine on steam, including several MMOs.
  • Nobleshield
    Nobleshield
    Soul Shriven
    Kainarel wrote: »
    Just saw the user t0xyc13 on twitter post a suggestion that (as far as I perceive it logically) might actually work. Maybe.
    Here goes on the image. ftfgej94fbym.jpg

If you bought the game using Steam you don't get a link to download the game client, and running the actual game client (e.g. eso64.exe) won't work with your regular account, it only works via Steam.
    Edited by Nobleshield on June 10, 2018 12:42AM
  • Darauk
    Darauk
    ✭✭
    I ran into two problems earlier today, both "An Unexpected internal error has occurred. Please contact customer service..." and "The connection to the server timed out". I was able to successfully log earlier today (around Noon CT) by following the troubleshooting steps found here:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39334/kw/internal server error

While this fixed my issue earlier, I ran into the ""The connection to the server timed out" issue again this evening. The repair steps didn't fix it.

Like @Nobleshield says, I don't have a download game option since I bought ESO through Steam.

This is the first time I've run into this issue. I didn't have any problems the last time this cropped up, but I'm fully blocked now.

Frustrating.
    - Darauk
  • zarelda
    zarelda
    Soul Shriven
    So downloading a copy from the website itself and not thru steam means I have to pay for it again? That's not going to happen, I don't have the money to spare for such nonsense.
  • Darauk
    Darauk
    ✭✭
    zarelda wrote: »
    So downloading a copy from the website itself and not thru steam means I have to pay for it again? That's not going to happen, I don't have the money to spare for such nonsense.

That's what I suspect if we want to login with the other PC Megaserver players who have no problem logging in right now.

I don't see a download option under my account info when I log into my ESO account on the website. All it shows is some details about my linked Steam account and my subscription paid for through Steam.

And I actually think it's worse that buying the game twice (even if I wanted to buy it twice)… I've read on other forum threads that buying the game client wouldn't necessarily help since my ZOS account is linked to my Steam account. Those threads also suggest that unlinking ZOS and Steam isn't especially easy. So the workaround isn't an easy one.
    - Darauk
  • Mikeszf
    Mikeszf
    Soul Shriven
    I bought the game when it wasn't on steam so I just had to remember my password when I read it was only for steam users, but I didn't open the game client directly, I used the launcher. Mine is at

"\Steam Library\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe"

Mind that I have a secondary steam library...
  • Hooperson
    Hooperson
    Soul Shriven
    Here we are Again June 6 2018 , and Cannot log in again just like last week, could not log into NA. Why do I pay in advance to play a Failed Game ? Why does Beth and Z say ok log in is fixed , than it happens again, and again , and again, Over and Over ? So actually the Log-in problem Never gets FIXED at ALL...it only keeps repeating itself. My subscription is up in August and I have spent lots and lots of Coin on ESO, got over 20 some homes have my own crafting stations, have most all horses, and pets. No, I think I have had it with ESO, NEVER really FIxing the Problems of the Game. All they want to do is sell, sell, sell, with Crap Fixes. I do not think I will be renewing My Subscription. I will wait for Fallout 76..
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Over the weekend Steam users were encountering issues logging into ESO. The issues related to Steam players logging in to the PC/Mac megaservers should now be resolved at this time. If you are still having login issues related to Steam, please post in this thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • unnecesaurus
    unnecesaurus
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I'm not sure what exactly they fixed. I've been having the "requesting character load" issue since Thursday. Tried logging in again today but the problem was there still. Already forwarded ports and did everything else other users have suggested. Sent a refund request to Valve earlier and whether it's accepted or not, I'm not looking to try this game out every again (this would've been my first time playing it ever, but this experience left a really sour taste in my mouth).
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found best solution. Don't use steam! Okay, I know that's hard if you are already caught in the Steam trap for ESO :/
  • soldierofzion82
    soldierofzion82
    ✭✭✭
    I should have never bought the game through Steam.

There must be a way to cut the umbilical cord of Steam and only go through ZOS from here out.

How do I disconnect and keep all my hard earned gear and leveled toons?

Please, help.
  • Pwoo
    Pwoo
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to avoid using Steam forever, buy standard edition right now as it's on sale for just $10. You don't lose any progress and you don't have to reinstall the game either.

It finally allows me to launch the game through eso64.exe even if I bought the game through Steam in late 2016. I hate that I technically had to buy the game again but it's honestly worth it.
    PC EU - @Pwooo in game - chronic crafting writ doer
  • Windir1985
    Today it is the first time I have this issue. Right after loading the patch. I can't log into my account. And according to the steam forums there are many,many more that still have the same problem right now
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/3051633726587473775/?ctp=90
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/3051633726593923294/
    Edited by Windir1985 on June 19, 2018 12:01PM
  • bingjalz
    bingjalz
    Soul Shriven
    Maintenance just finished and steam login problem is back again. seriously? you only have 2 servers and you cant even manage that?
  • LeconDC
    LeconDC
    ✭✭
    How many time are people gonna post the same *** reply after it's been told this DOES NOT work for people who bought the game later.
  • LeconDC
    LeconDC
    ✭✭
    Peebuzzle wrote: »
    If you really want to avoid using Steam forever, buy standard edition right now as it's on sale for just $10. You don't lose any progress and you don't have to reinstall the game either.

It finally allows me to launch the game through eso64.exe even if I bought the game through Steam in late 2016. I hate that I technically had to buy the game again but it's honestly worth it.

Wait, you still keep your characters? You don't have to start all over from the beginning?
    Can you please confirm this for me?
  • jalorjin
    jalorjin
    If that were the case this would be an acceptable workaround.
    But I don't want to start from scratch and spend money for that.

My ESO+ subscription was about to end. Until today I wasn't thinking of cancelling it.
    But experiencing the login problems again made me change my mind.
    Just cancelled it until it runs more stable.

This is just ridiculous.

What sucks most is that there is no further info, not even a reaction besides "we fixed it".
  • LeconDC
    LeconDC
    ✭✭
    jalorjin wrote: »
    If that were the case this would be an acceptable workaround.
    But I don't want to start from scratch and spend money for that.

My ESO+ subscription was about to end. Until today I wasn't thinking of cancelling it.
    But experiencing the login problems again made me change my mind.
    Just cancelled it until it runs more stable.

This is just ridiculous.

What sucks most is that there is no further info, not even a reaction besides "we fixed it".

I can confirm this works. I just got the $10 standard edition, logged in with the bethesda launcher in the folder I alrdy installed, I still have summerset eso+ everything and all my characters. No more login problems.

It's sad this is the only solution but I'm tired of login problems. No more steam for me.
  • jalorjin
    jalorjin
    Cool. Thanks for your feedback. :-)
  • S_Ravenlock
    S_Ravenlock
    ✭✭✭
    at the moment I am REALLY not inclined to give ZoS more money for a workaround fix. It is up to them to fix this, don't reward their failure by paying them more.
    Mirianna Valoran, Templar, EU
  • LeconDC
    LeconDC
    ✭✭
    at the moment I am REALLY not inclined to give ZoS more money for a workaround fix. It is up to them to fix this, don't reward their failure by paying them more.

Well this always happens as soon as ESO or Steam itself updates. I just can't figure out who's responsible for this and since neither of them have told us anything I'm out of options lol
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completly broken on PC EU
  • rbest62
    rbest62
    I did this yesterday morning. I was able to log in last night and again this morning while the red banner was up. I sill have everything that I had on Steam, the only thing I did was purchase the base game using my acct credentials.
  • Pwoo
    Pwoo
    ✭✭✭
    LeconDC wrote: »
    Wait, you still keep your characters? You don't have to start all over from the beginning?
    Can you please confirm this for me?

Yes, I can confirm you get to keep everything - I even have active ESO plus, crowns and most DLCs. My account is still connected to Steam but it seems I can finally play without it as well.

It's ridiculous that Steam users don't get warned about this though and it sucks we have to pay twice for a "non-steam pass".
    PC EU - @Pwooo in game - chronic crafting writ doer
  • rbest62
    rbest62
    Actually this is the third time I bought he game. I originally bought the base game on steam to see if I liked, after a week or two the gold was on sale with all the dlc and to late for refund. So bought the gold, now bought base game again through ZOS. For me the $10 is worth it to be able to play.
  • Edwin
    Edwin
    ✭✭✭
    I could not log in without Steam a few months ago, I got the game in January this year, it used to not allow me to log in using eso64.exe, but now I am able to. I don't know what changed, but is this working for anyone else?
This discussion has been closed.