The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

cyrodill performance surprised me

terrannova
terrannova
✭✭✭
hello,
so i have been playing cyrodill for a while now. I have mostly been avoiding playing when server is full cause server latency seem to be awful i am always lagging horrendously and getting timed out in huge fights.

So today i joined Vivec in PC EU, population was: AD full and rest was high. I played for 2-3 hours and for the first time i can remember, the server was butter smooth. No lags,everything was on spot as i pressed . I was really really surprised and enjoyed cyrodill after a really long long long time. There were even some big battles with 50+ people that happened and it was as smooth as it could get.
I am writing this cause i want to know if anyone else noticed the same thing or it just happens. Most of the times it feels like the minority of the server players is having real bad issues in cyrodill. Some seem to be affected and others not. When i cant even use a skill people seem to be able to animation canceling and casting skils with ease. Today it was the opposite for myself. I am really curious about the whole server performance since this happened to me, so i would like to see if anyone experiences something similar, cause i find this to be quite peculiar.

thank you
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had up to 6 seconds skill delays the past 90 minutes
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • terrannova
    terrannova
    ✭✭✭
    Yuke wrote: »
    i had up to 6 seconds skill delays the past 90 minutes

yea thats what im talking about... how does this thing happens? I mean my ping is always the same in game. I can understand how this happens. Why some people play with no delay and for others feels like 1000 ping....
    I mean obviously my location in europe hasnt changed so latency should be as always mediocre towards bad, but it was nearly perfect... I hope someone can explain why this is happening, its really confusing for me
  • NiclasFridholm
    NiclasFridholm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have noticed a huge improvement after mondays maintanance, I have no lags or stutters at all. Highpoint was a 3 way with 60+ players fighting it out for 8-10 min and was supersmooth! :smile:
    Tobias Funke - Magplar since forever

• terrannova
    terrannova
    ✭✭✭
    I also have noticed a huge improvement after mondays maintanance, I have no lags or stutters at all. Highpoint was a 3 way with 60+ players fighting it out for 8-10 min and was supersmooth! :smile:

i find this interesting to hear. Also when i played cyrodil today i totaly forgot to turn off my addons that i usually disable( like master merchant and such) and surprisingly my fps were really good.
    After your comment i really am lookign forward to seeing more comments about this. Did they said they improved something that i missed or what gives? i dont get it.
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    terrannova wrote: »
    hello,
    so i have been playing cyrodill for a while now. I have mostly been avoiding playing when server is full cause server latency seem to be awful i am always lagging horrendously and getting timed out in huge fights.

So today i joined Vivec in PC EU, population was: AD full and rest was high. I played for 2-3 hours and for the first time i can remember, the server was butter smooth. No lags,everything was on spot as i pressed . I was really really surprised and enjoyed cyrodill after a really long long long time. There were even some big battles with 50+ people that happened and it was as smooth as it could get.
    I am writing this cause i want to know if anyone else noticed the same thing or it just happens. Most of the times it feels like the minority of the server players is having real bad issues in cyrodill. Some seem to be affected and others not. When i cant even use a skill people seem to be able to animation canceling and casting skils with ease. Today it was the opposite for myself. I am really curious about the whole server performance since this happened to me, so i would like to see if anyone experiences something similar, cause i find this to be quite peculiar.

thank you

Be carefull what you post, i replied on another post about lag in Cyro and now accused as a lyer, troll, deluted person, payed by ZOS and such things, only because my performance in Cyro is ok...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/415596/cyrodill-performance-is-total-trash/p1
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tonight's performance has been subpar to say the least, it got better about 30 min ago for me. Yesterday was a complete hell hole with skills and dodge being greyed out for 10 seconds at a time.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• terrannova
    terrannova
    ✭✭✭
    hello,

thank you

Be carefull what you post, i replied on another post about lag in Cyro and now accused as a lyer, troll, deluted person, payed by ZOS and such things, only because my performance in Cyro is ok...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/415596/cyrodill-performance-is-total-trash/p1

as i said in my post my friend it was like the first time i can remember that cyro was this smooth with this high population.I clearly have made posts not long ago that i absolutely have the worst pvp and gameplay experience in general in cyrodill.
    I just want to find out why it happens once a month or whatever.
    dont mind people like that btw, when people think like this,in a really cunning and tricky way u can tell a lot about their character and its sad
  • terrannova
    terrannova
    ✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    Tonight's performance has been subpar to say the least, it got better about 30 min ago for me. Yesterday was a complete hell hole with skills and dodge being greyed out for 10 seconds at a time.

Maybe its about the server wasnt that populated whole day? that it wasnt overloaded at all? my performance though was really smooth the whole time i stayed in cyro... its weird
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1    1ms     

2   11ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  ip-81-210-176-158.hsi17.unitymediagroup.de [81.210.176.158]
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      3   13ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  ip-81-210-176-157.hsi17.unitymediagroup.de [81.210.176.157]
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      4   18ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  de-fra01b-ri1-ae1-0.aorta.net [84.116.134.10]
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      5   16ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  62.157.248.113
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      6   18ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  62.157.248.113
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      7   17ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  217.239.45.202
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      8   21ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  195.122.154.1

My routing-log to the server, when i had 6 seconds skill delays at chalman (3 Blob-Raids roaming and farming around). Just stop it.
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • terrannova
    terrannova
    ✭✭✭
    Yuke wrote: »

1    1ms     

2   11ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  ip-81-210-176-158.hsi17.unitymediagroup.de [81.210.176.158]
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      3   13ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  ip-81-210-176-157.hsi17.unitymediagroup.de [81.210.176.157]
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      4   18ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  de-fra01b-ri1-ae1-0.aorta.net [84.116.134.10]
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      5   16ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  62.157.248.113
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      6   18ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  62.157.248.113
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      7   17ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  217.239.45.202
                                    0/ 100 =  0%   |
      8   21ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  195.122.154.1

My routing-log to the server, when i had 6 seconds skill delays at chalman (3 Blob-Raids roaming and farming around). Just stop it.

this sounds really painfull man..
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, yeah, trolls gonna troll
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • Gprime31
    Gprime31
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some days it’s fine on pop locked other days... lag , delay disconnects, been like this since beta
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe its about the server wasnt that populated whole day? that it wasnt overloaded at all? my performance though was really smooth the whole time i stayed in cyro... its weird

The lag that people most often complain about in Cyrodiil server processing lag. Though it can be reflected in ping, it's not a network congestion issue per se. Pings go up because the server is slower to respond to network communications because its processing load is so high. Processing based Denial of Service attacks have the same effect.

Not all players contribute to server processing load equally. Solo players who spread out, only light attack and move very little would contribute the least. Tightly coordinated ball groups who spam both offensive and defensive AEs constantly would contribute the most.

My guess is that you happened to play during a period when the population dynamics happened to result in a manageable server processing load.
    Edited by zyk on June 8, 2018 10:37PM
  • terrannova
    terrannova
    ✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

The lag that people most often complain about in Cyrodiil server processing lag. Though it can be reflected in ping, it's not a network congestion issue per se. Pings go up because the server is slower to respond to network communications because its processing load is so high. Processing based Denial of Service attacks have the same effect.

Not all players contribute to server processing load equally. Solo players who spread out, only light attack and move very little would contribute the least. Tightly coordinated ball groups who spam both offensive and defensive AEs constantly would contribute the most.

My guess is that you happened to play during a period when the population dynamics happened to result in a manageable server processing load.

seems like a very reasonable explanation. thank you for the detailed answer sir, it has helped me understand better some things
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Packet loss is visible via player actions. Definitely server side QoS problem.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.