Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How to gain more DPS

0214paddyb16_ESO
0214paddyb16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi guys, I'm 72 years old and have been playing computer games since I first got a Commodore 64.

I am a massive MMO fan and absolutely love ESO, I think it is the best MMO around today.

So, to my question. I am playing as my main a Dark Elf Magicka Nightblade. I am pretty much using this Build by Alcast, https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/. My big problem is that I can only manage around 10,000 DPS per second, which is nowhere near good enough. My armour is 5 pieces of The Twice Born Star and Nerien'eths Helmet and Pauldron. My weapons are the Maelstrom Inferno Staff and the Maelstrom Resto Staff. Jewellery is all Willpower and is purple.

Maximum Magicka is 34,326, Recovery 1082, Max Health is 17911 and Recovery 201, Max Stamina is 11,189 and Recovery 632.

Spell Damage is 2370, Critical 33.6%, Weapon Damage 1375 and Critical 36.6%.

My character is Max level and I have 740 CP.

I'm not sure what is keeping my DPS so low, and would be eternally grateful if I could get some advice by any knowledgeable players.

Thank you.

Edited by 0214paddyb16_ESO on June 7, 2018 11:41AM

Best Answers

• Sky_WK
    Sky_WK
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should use the gear and bar setup and rotation and pretty much everything from the build you linked, Twice born star and maelstrom front bar, and using a resto bar for DPS are not going to help your parsing.
    i do not read replies. still playing stamdk for some reason.
    Answer ✓
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your magicka is a bit low. The higher the magicka is, the more damage you'll do, because a lot of your damage will scale off of your maximum magicka.
    Also, remember that Dark Elves have a natural boost to fire damage, so it helps to use fire-based glyphs and spells.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on June 7, 2018 11:41PM
    Answer ✓
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Your magicka is a bit low.

For that, using "buff food" can be very helpful. You don't need to have the best, as linked in Alcast's guide. But any normal buff food would add another 4000-5000 max magicka and therefore boost your damage

Also you might want to learn "animation cancelling". There are plenty of guides for that on YouTube. You don't need to fully know EVERYTHING about it, but learning how to weave light/heavy attacks into your rota does help getting more DPS and, with heavy, a better resource management
    Answer ✓
  • 0214paddyb16_ESO
    0214paddyb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Guys, thanks very much for the advice you have all given, I appreciate it.

I will look at some videos of Animation Cancelling, I must admit I have heard of it, but have no idea what it means or does.

As for the gear I have, it's what I've got at the moment. I will have to see what I can do about that, though I believe that most of the gear is dropped gear which involves going in high level dungeons, trials etc. I would never be allowed to stay in a group at my level of DPS output.

I am taking on board all the tips and will do what I can to get more dps, thanks again for your help!
    Answer ✓
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @0214paddyb16_ESO: Reading your description and following your link, there is loads you can do to increase your dps

(1) use the build you link to
    Using a build means using the armor recommended, having the skill bar as shown, using the food/drink and potions described. At the moment you use different armor, different weapons, different food (if any at all) and possibly no mundus stone at all - at least none that shows in your stats.

(2) Do NOT use a resto staff on your backbar
    You are a DD, not a healer. Equipping a restostaff on your backbar means you miss out on massive damage for your second attack weapon (which you dont have). If you are afraid of dying too often, use healing potions or a magblade healing skill and a shield and you will be fine while still using 2 destrostaffs. No DD needs a restostaff on his backbar for PVE content.

(3) find a friend who's playing a competent NB and ask him to look at your rotation and your skills while training at a dummy
    Even with the stats and build you describe, your dps should be considerably higher (even without animation canceling). My guess would be that you are using the wrong skills and dont keep your buffs and dots up most of the time. A good player watching from the outside probably does not need more than 1 minute to determine what's going wrong with your rotation. Listen to his advice, follow it, train. If you're still not where you want to be, ask another friend ;-)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trollwut wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Your magicka is a bit low.
    For that, using "buff food" can be very helpful. You don't need to have the best, as linked in Alcast's guide. But any normal buff food would add another 4000-5000 max magicka and therefore boost your damage
    I was assuming that the 34,000 magicka was after he ate buff food. If it doesn't include buff food, then it's not too low.
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    do you have the undaunted pasives? Those buff up your char
  • 0214paddyb16_ESO
    0214paddyb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Not sure if I have those or not, will have to check later, when the server is back up.