Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

trading guilds and new players

Nocturne Saint
Nocturne Saint
✭✭✭
I'm not entirely a new player, but one thing is for sure I can't afford to trade 150k gold worth of items a week just to get what i need from a trading guild. It seems trading guilds are not very friendly to newer players, or players that don't have a lot.

so how are newer or poor players supposed to trade and get the gear they want? when all the trading guilds want their members to be rich?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    150k a week seems pretty strong requests, there are plenty (on PC EU) of trade guilds which have less. The one I am in is 200k/mo.

You can try getting into one of the smaller less restricted guilds and work you way up as a seller. One of the main things is knowing what sells and making sure you're selling.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • abigfishy
    abigfishy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been in trading guilds with regular booths in Belkarth and Elden Root that have way lower requirements like 20k sales or 8k of raffle tickets per week. There are also a LOT of trading guilds that have no requirement other than keep your 30 trading slots full and log in at least once a week.
    Level 50 Characters
    USA
    Odette Skullcrusher Nord DK EP Tank
    Hannah Smithee Breton Templar DC Healer
    Charlotte of the Wild Bosmer NB EP DPS
    Rabbath Amman Dark Elf Sorc EP DPS
    Lovely Twinkle High Elf Sorc AD Tank
    Nepith Dark Elf Warden EP Healer
    Tupac Shakoor Redguard Sorc DC Tank
    Faire the Last Snow Elf Altmer Warden EP Ice Staff Tank
    EU
    Soul-Shriven Breton Sorc DC DPS
    Makush gro-Shurgal Orc DK DC Tank
    Cleopatra Tharn Imperial Sorc EP Healer
    Daenerys Targaryin Nord Templar DC Healer
    Zar Saarshar Khajiit NB DC Thief
    Celrith High Elf Sorc EP Assassin
    Falcar Dark Elf NB DC Necromancer
    Myriam Blaylock Breton NB EP Vampire
    Nivrillin Wood Elf NB DC Werewolf
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are trade guilds outside of the central locations.

My trade guild is 1K a week raffle and even then I have had people quit as soon as I mention there is a raffle requirement... even though the requirement is so low.

The only problem is that we run the risk of losing our trader every week particularly if we try for a high traffic location. for example we tried for summerset for the last 2 weeks and failed to get a spot.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever sold 150k in a week even across all guilds. Well, maybe across all guilds on a very good week, but I don't recall.

There are definitely guilds out there that don't require this. And you don't need a trading guild with a prime spot if you are only selling a few things, so look around.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At least on PC(EU), there are regular advertisements by guilds on zone chat, and none of those ever mentioned anything close to 150k. Requiring 20k a week is on the higher end of the scale.
    Sure, those are not in Mournhold or Belkarth, but you don't need those spots for a casual trader, anyway.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even a Belkarth trader at least 1 guild only wants 75k/wk, but 5k-10k is about normal for having a regular trader (even if some weeks it is in the backside of no-where)
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely a new player, but one thing is for sure I can't afford to trade 150k gold worth of items a week just to get what i need from a trading guild. It seems trading guilds are not very friendly to newer players, or players that don't have a lot.

so how are newer or poor players supposed to trade and get the gear they want? when all the trading guilds want their members to be rich?

are you on xbox na ? if so hit me up -- we have a trader in a great spot and it is only 5k per week dues, regardless of how much you sell
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am in Mournhold (10k/week), Vivec (20k/week) and Belkarth (50k/week). Where did you find that guild asking so much?

However, if you get in a guild in a spot like those it's absolutely no problem to sell even 150k/week. I usually have that done in all three guilds individually by Monday afternoon.
    If you only need a trader to sell some stuff when you loot something nice you don't need to be in the top spots. That's only important for day trading, buy high/sell even higher, crafting and so on. Being in a small spot can even be beneficial as you don't have to compete with all the big traders. Probably the better option if you just wanna sell 2-3 items per week.
    It all depends on how you wanna trade. If you wanna trade a lot and spend a good amount of gaming time on trading - defintely get in one or several of the top spots. But then it's also really not a problem to get to those numbers.
    Edited by nnargun on June 1, 2018 2:17PM
    [PC EU][GERMAN][ENGLISH][730~ CP]
    Flawless Conquerer - vHoF HM - vAS+1 - vMoL - vCR
    the Kuhn - Dunmer - MagNB
    Samjuel-EL - Orc - StamNB
    Son Hala - Altmer - MagSorc
    Draxyl - Argonian - Warden
  • MYWARCHILD887
    MYWARCHILD887
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on PSN NA hit me up. I am in 2 different free trading guilds that manage to have a trader every week. All we ever ask is that you keep your stores full. Either way, keep looking. There are good guilds out there that don't have "requirements"
    PS4 NA - GM Psijic Supreme Order
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    150k a week seems pretty strong requests, there are plenty (on PC EU) of trade guilds which have less. The one I am in is 200k/mo.

You can try getting into one of the smaller less restricted guilds and work you way up as a seller. One of the main things is knowing what sells and making sure you're selling.

I doubt many, if any, can sustain a requirement of 150k per week of all their members or even 200k per week.

Most trade guilds have very small or no requirement other than actually sell something.
  • Lakhitia
    Lakhitia
    ✭✭✭
    abigfishy wrote: »
    There are also a LOT of trading guilds that have no requirement other than keep your 30 trading slots full and log in at least once a week.

Please forgive my new player ignorance - what does that mean? That I'm expected to have 30 items listed for sale at all times?
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lakhitia wrote: »
    There are also a LOT of trading guilds that have no requirement other than keep your 30 trading slots full and log in at least once a week.

Please forgive my new player ignorance - what does that mean? That I'm expected to have 30 items listed for sale at all times?

I guess that's what it means. Sounds ridiculous though. Keeping 30 slots up all the time is much harder than selling even 150k/week unless you sell every little piece of crap you loot or ask prices nobody buys for.
    That being said, I do actually keep my 30 slots/guild up most of the time but doing that with value items takes quite a bit of effort. More effort than most people will be willing to put in this game in total.

edit: Well with only one trading guild you may get away with 30 minutes per day. But still too much for most I guess.
    Edited by nnargun on June 1, 2018 3:48PM
  • MYWARCHILD887
    MYWARCHILD887
    ✭✭✭

With the guilds that I am in, we would like you to keep your slots full because every sale(even the small amount items) is money coming in to put towards getting a trader. In other words you keeping your listings full helps us fund a trader location. That being said, no one checks to see if your keeping your listings full.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

With the guilds that I am in, we would like you to keep your slots full because every sale(even the small amount items) is money coming in to put towards getting a trader. In other words you keeping your listings full helps us fund a trader location. That being said, no one checks to see if your keeping your listings full.

That doesn't make sense. Taxes are a relative portion of your sales (3.5%). So selling only one item for 50k is the same amount of gold for the guild as selling 50 items for 1k each. You are pressuring your sellers to buy/sell lots of stuff regardless of the revenue. Which can only result in many players filling their slots with crap instead of thoroughly looking for cheap value items to resell or craft or whatever. You gotta let the seller decide about how they wanna balance quality and quantity. Asking for quantity without looking at the quality is what ruins so many things. It's like demanding of a manager to hand in 5 new patents per year or they don't get their bonus. You can imagine the quality of the patents. Or scientists and scientific papers. I either feel like laughing or crying when reading most of the newer ones.
    Also I assure you demanding 30 slots being filled at all times will scare off more people than 20-50k sales/week.
  • MYWARCHILD887
    MYWARCHILD887
    ✭✭✭
    nnargun wrote: »

That doesn't make sense. Taxes are a relative portion of your sales (3.5%). So selling only one item for 50k is the same amount of gold for the guild as selling 50 items for 1k each. You are pressuring your sellers to buy/sell lots of stuff regardless of the revenue. Which can only result in many players filling their slots with crap instead of thoroughly looking for cheap value items to resell or craft or whatever. You gotta let the seller decide about how they wanna balance quality and quantity. Asking for quantity without looking at the quality is what ruins so many things. It's like demanding of a manager to hand in 5 new patents per year or they don't get their bonus. You can imagine the quality of the patents. Or scientists and scientific papers. I either feel like laughing or crying when reading most of the newer ones.
    Also I assure you demanding 30 slots being filled at all times will scare off more people than 20-50k sales/week.

First off, I said sales "help" fund a trader. Second, I said "ask" that you keep your listings full and not demand or require. And finally I ended with "no one checks". How is any of that pressure?

For both free trading guilds I am in, there is NO pressure. People join, sell some stuff and help each other out in chat. Period.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I seriously doubt guild leaders require players to keep their slots full, They might encourage it, but that is far different.

It is just to hard to police such a policy to take such a policy seriously. Granted, there are inexperienced leaders in every aspect of gaming.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

First off, I said sales "help" fund a trader. Second, I said "ask" that you keep your listings full and not demand or require. And finally I ended with "no one checks". How is any of that pressure?

For both free trading guilds I am in, there is NO pressure. People join, sell some stuff and help each other out in chat. Period.

Asking for quantity instead of quality is still the wrong way. Not as wrong as demanding it but still illogical. You should be asking for minimum sales instead.
  • MYWARCHILD887
    MYWARCHILD887
    ✭✭✭

Asking for quantity instead of quality is still the wrong way. Not as wrong as demanding it but still illogical. You should be asking for minimum sales instead.

It may be wrong but it works, and in the end we have a guild full of happy people who have a trader every week.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

I seriously doubt guild leaders require players to keep their slots full, They might encourage it, but that is far different.

It is just to hard to police such a policy to take such a policy seriously. Granted, there are inexperienced leaders in every aspect of gaming.

Never said I thought it was common practice. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually done here and there. It's being done IRL all the time.
    However, even encouraging it is wrong. It may give the wrong idea. The only thing that matters is total amount of gold you sold for.
    Edited by nnargun on June 1, 2018 5:14PM
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a "hard" requirement, it's not a thing. It's also basically not enforceable - in a casual trading guild, it doesn't matter if I'm not online for a day or two. And while I'm not online, I can't re-fill my slots.

That said, many guilds encourage it as helpful advice to newcomers. As in, don't just put one thing there and hope it sells, but fill up your slots, you never know, maybe someone's buying. Also, no-one really loses if people put up random trash.
    Edited by Varana on June 1, 2018 7:27PM
  • Lakhla
    Lakhla
    Soul Shriven
    Hi Guys..

Newbie question as follows:

Should I bother to join any of The Trader Guilds before reaching my first 50? To be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed by the requirements mentioned above. I'm aware the income will probably scale-up as I advance levels but at the same time I would like to start preparing my first character to be my main "crafter" and needless to say will look to obtain some resources / recipes etc from traders. I assume I can purchase stuff anyway, so .. its all about selling something possibly quite profitable before I reach higher levels.

Making long story short - Should I wonder to join now or simply just wait and enjoy the game? Any pros/cons of joining early?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Edited by Lakhla on June 17, 2019 9:57AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakhla wrote: »
    Hi Guys..

Newbie question as follows:

Should I bother to join any of The Trader Guilds before reaching my first 50? To be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed by the requirements mentioned above. I'm aware the income will probably scale-up as I advance levels but at the same time I would like to start preparing my first character to be my main "crafter" and needless to say will look to obtain some resources / recipes etc from traders. I assume I can purchase stuff anyway, so .. its all about selling something possibly quite profitable before I reach higher levels.

Making long story short - Should I wonder to join now or simply just wait and enjoy the game? Any pros/cons of joining early?

Thanks in advance

Regards

It depends on your priorities.
    A non-vet character collects drops below 50, crafting materials below 50, all of this being worthless on the market.
    If you need inventory space : decon your drops. That will help your greatly progress in crafting skill lines.
    If you need gold, there are two ways as a non-vet character to get significant gold :
    1/ selling gold tempers you may get from doing crafting writs and surveys. Gold tempers sell well and high for sure, always.
    2/ Farming & selling alchemy mats (corn flower, columbine, etc. ) since they're independant from character-level.

If you need gold and want to go one of these two roads - or both, join a trading guild with a trader in a good spot. It's worth it.
    Otherwise, wait until you're CP160.
  • Lakhla
    Lakhla
    Soul Shriven

It depends on your priorities.
    A non-vet character collects drops below 50, crafting materials below 50, all of this being worthless on the market.
    If you need inventory space : decon your drops. That will help your greatly progress in crafting skill lines.
    If you need gold, there are two ways as a non-vet character to get significant gold :
    1/ selling gold tempers you may get from doing crafting writs and surveys. Gold tempers sell well and high for sure, always.
    2/ Farming & selling alchemy mats (corn flower, columbine, etc. ) since they're independant from character-level.

If you need gold and want to go one of these two roads - or both, join a trading guild with a trader in a good spot. It's worth it.
    Otherwise, wait until you're CP160.

Just subscribed to ESO+ so Inventory space (for crafting materials) should not be an issue. Will try to follow both "roads".
    Thanks very much mate. Much appreciated.
    Edited by Lakhla on June 17, 2019 10:22AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakhla wrote: »
    Just subscribed to ESO+ so Inventory space (for crafting materials) should not be an issue. Will try to follow both "roads".
    Thanks very much mate. Much appreciated.

You're welcome :-)
    Motifs used to be a sure thing too but anniversary event killed it for good, except for a few specific motifs that you have not access to anyway as a non-vet character.
    And style items were killed by the outfit system...

• LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not really that difficult to keep a single guild trader full or close to it (with your 30 slots). Once you hit CP160 you'll be picking up set pieces (of armor & weapons) right and left that can go into your guild store (the ones you don't want to keep/use). If you do daily crafting writs you usually get a few intricate pieces from your rewards, and some people like to sell those. Check your guild store and see if anyone sells potions. If they do, level up your alchemy and make/sell the most popular portions. Do some of the dailies throughout the game and you're likely to be given some motif pages in the reward boxes. Sell any duplicates you get. Make sure you keep your prices in line with the other members of your guild(s). If you overprice your items they (obviously) won't sell. I am a member of ten trading guilds on two accounts and I have no trouble whatsoever keeping all ten guild stores full. One should be a piece of cake for just about anybody who has reached a level where they can afford the guild's weekly dues.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lakgka

There are plenty of trading guilds with low requirements. Of course any trading guild that can maintain a half decent location will want to make sure their members are active so if their are no requirements then there are issues. Heck, even my raiding guilds have requirements.