The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help with Magblade DPS

Azyle1
Azyle1
✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm trying out a magblade and while I understand Stamblade, I'm not hitting very hard on magblade.

So I'm currently running (Xbox BTW) 5 PC mother's Sorrow, 5 PC Julianos (Only sets I have) and Valk Monster Set. (Heavy shoulders, everything else is light)

Both staves are fire and on julianos bar I am running - Blockade, Crippling grasp, siphoning, harness, inner light and Soul Harvest Ulti.
On Mother Sorrow bar I am running - Twisting path, swallow soul, merc resolve, inner light and impale. I have Destro ult on this bar.

Now then, I have apprentice mundus, witchmother brew. Again, I'm very new to mag classes and this class in general, but here is a general idea of my rotation:

LA, Blockade, LA, Grasp, swap, LA, twisting, LA, (bow proc), then use Swallow Soul, LA, swallow soul and then I just keep up all dots and manage bow procs accordingly and use swallow soul as a filler if I can. However, I get like 26K on a dummy. While I have not mastered the rotation, I feel this is a good general idea but I cannot figure out why my DPS is so low. I do not have resource issues with spell crit potions and siphoning strikes and while I'm aware I will not hit the 47 - 49K my stamblade will hit, I know I need to be higher.

Also my spell damage seems low? Like 2300 or something.

Any tips?
Edited by Azyle1 on May 31, 2018 7:37PM
  • Sky_WK
    Sky_WK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you running elemental drain, or someone running it for you? If not, replace harness mag with it and run it on your parses.
    i do not read replies. still playing stamdk for some reason.
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sky_WK wrote: »
    Are you running elemental drain, or someone running it for you? If not, replace harness mag with it and run it on your parses.

No, neither at the moment.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You say night mother's. What set is that? Then you say weapon damage at the end, you must mean spell damage. How much max magic and spell crit do you have?
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say night mother's. What set is that? Then you say weapon damage at the end, you must mean spell damage. How much max magic and spell crit do you have?

@Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

Sorry, I edited it now.

Meant Spell Damage and Mother's Sorrow.

Crit is sitting around 60K I believe (May need to check that) and Max Magic is 37-38K. All attribute points are allocated into Magic.
    Edited by Azyle1 on May 31, 2018 7:40PM
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the way the OP reads, it sounds like you have mothers sorrow active on one bar and Julianos active on the other bar, which should not be the case. If you have a maelstrom staff, then you back bar it and use mother's sorrow on front bar only. Julianos should be active the whole time (body pieces). If you don't have a maelstrom staff, then you'd want Julianos and mother's sorrow to both be active 100% of the time, so either two Julianos staves or two mother's sorrow staves. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

Aside from that, for target dummy parses you should always use Ele drain instead of your shield. Then it's just a matter of rotation practice. For what it's worth, you can most definitely break 40k solo dps with Valkyn + Julianos + Mother's Sorrow.

Edit: I just realized you said you're on Xbox and thus do not yet have Summerset which makes staves count as 2 items. I'd recommend gearing up for now, but waiting till the patch comes for you to get serious about dps parses because a fair bit changed.
    Edited by Kingslayer513 on May 31, 2018 9:35PM
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the way the OP reads, it sounds like you have mothers sorrow active on one bar and Julianos active on the other bar, which should not be the case. If you have a maelstrom staff, then you back bar it and use mother's sorrow on front bar only. Julianos should be active the whole time (body pieces). If you don't have a maelstrom staff, then you'd want Julianos and mother's sorrow to both be active 100% of the time, so either two Julianos staves or two mother's sorrow staves. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

Aside from that, for target dummy parses you should always use Ele drain instead of your shield. Then it's just a matter of rotation practice. For what it's worth, you can most definitely break 40k solo dps with Valkyn + Julianos + Mother's Sorrow.

Oh see...

This is where I get confused... I do NOT have a malestrom inferno.

Is it possible to have both active at the same time PRE Summerset?

Edit: Cool. Good to know. I just saw your edit. What ulti should I be using if I do not have MA?
    Edited by Azyle1 on May 31, 2018 9:37PM
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azyle1 wrote: »

Oh see...

This is where I get confused... I do NOT have a malestrom inferno.

Is it possible to have both active at the same time PRE Summerset?

Sorry, I edited my post after I realized you're on Xbox. It's not possible to have 5 5 2 gear setup on a mag toon PRE summerset. Tbh I'd recommend waiting the few days till the patch comes before getting serious about dps parsing. A lot has changed.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: Cool. Good to know. I just saw your edit. What ulti should I be using if I do not have MA?

Soul Harvest and the destro ulti are both great even after summerset. Generally soul harvest for single target, destro for trash and AOE. If you are using Master Architect, then you'd use Soul Harvest all the time. Otherwise though, soul harvest is still great single target with a Julianos + MS + Valkyn setup. Definitely will make your target dummy parses higher.
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Soul Harvest and the destro ulti are both great even after summerset. Generally soul harvest for single target, destro for trash and AOE. If you are using Master Architect, then you'd use Soul Harvest all the time. Otherwise though, soul harvest is still great single target with a Julianos + MS + Valkyn setup. Definitely will make your target dummy parses higher.

Thanks.

As far as rotation goes ( and I know it's tricky and it isn't really static ) am I on the right path with what I said, give or take?
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

As far as rotation goes ( and I know it's tricky and it isn't really static ) am I on the right path with what I said, give or take?

Yeah I'd say so.

Front MS bar: twisting path, swallow soul, impale, merc resolve, inner light, destro ulti
    Back/maelstrom bar: blockade, crippling grasp, siphoning attacks, harness, inner light, soul harvest ulti

Weave LA between every skill, this is the most import part of magblade dps. Always fire the spectral bow when ready, even if it means missing a tick of reapplying blockade. I've always been more dynamic with rotations anyways and I use addons to track my dots/buffs so this might be different on console, but just keep up merc resolve 100%, reapply siphoning attacks on cooldown, reapply all dots 1-2 seconds from running out and when everything is up just keep weaving swallow soul.

For single target, use soul harvest ulti right as you swap back to front bar so that you bar-swap cancel the animation and have more time for front bar weaving where it matters most. At 25%, keep your buffs up but only use blockade and weave impale, still fire bow when ready. Without a maelstrom staff it might not be worthwhile to keep blockade up in execute, but you'd have to test to see because I don't know for sure.

Also, with Summerset out I actually started using the Psijic's Elemental Weapon instead of swallow soul because it's cheaper and does more dps, but you lose the healing. If you use elemental weapon, then put crippling grasp on the front bar and move twisting path to the back bar. Everything else is still the same.

I think you're on the right track and probs just need to tighten the rotation and fix your gear setup. If you were at 26k pre-summerset, then you'll probably be over 30k post-summerset just from the balance changes they made. Magblades are quite strong now.