The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the Best Build for a Magicka Dark Elf Sorcerer?

Borvath
Borvath
✭✭
I have a dark elf magicka sorcerer, which is not the best race to choose for a sorcerer. I will keep him, because I've heard that it became the second best choice for a DPS and is now better than the breton's racial passives, but it is still behind the high elf racial passives. Every build I found are for high elves, if I wanted to min/max everything other than the race, would I need to alter the build. Is the best build for a high elf magicka sorcerer DPS is still best build for a dark elf? For example if the best build for a high elf is lightning magic based one, and there was another build that was a fire magic one that performed a little worse, would it be possible for dark elf it could be the opposite.
Sorry for my English.
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naked...
    With a fire staff and spam shields like there is no tomorrow.
    Signature

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dark Elves are BIS now the guides are out of date. You just run 2x Flame staffs instead of one flame and one lightning.

Pets or no pets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUw7BNuIBY&t=0s
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is minimal difference between the two. Altmer will do better with Lightning Magic, Dunmer with Fire. You might have a little more issue with recovery on the Dunmer.

Unless you're all about the fire resist, the difference is going to be barely noticeable either way.

(+3% Fire damage, -2% Magic, Lightning, Ice, -9% Mag Regen, -1% Mag)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Borvath
    Borvath
    ✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    Dark Elves are BIS now the guides are out of date. You just run 2x Flame staffs instead of one flame and one lightning.

Pets or no pets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUw7BNuIBY&t=0s

That is very good hear, I was thinking about deleting him before. As for pets I like them, other that the staffs, would I need to change anything for a pet build, since high elf racial passives feel like they are better suited for it?
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer: 9% max magicka, 7% fire dmg buff and 2% shock/ice dmg buff.
    Altmer: 10% max magicka, 9% magicka regen and 4% fire/shock/ice dmg buff.

So even if you go with dual shock staves you dont lose that much dmg, only a bit of regen.

For a pet build regen isnt an issue because you heavy attack often.

Here's a good Summerset pet sorc build that also describes gear alternatives.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pet damage is only affected by max magicka, so there will only be a 1% difference between Altmer and Dunmer. Not worth a race change. (You're talking < 400 dps if you're already hitting 40k)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High elves are better suited for pet builds since they do magic damage but also lightning staves synergise slightly better.

Pet builds use Necropotence and magicka stacking as noted pets scale off only magicka and a lightning staves, or 1 lightning or 1 fire and llambris.

Pet builds are easier to play though and to sustain with more heavies.
  • AEAltadoonPadhome
    AEAltadoonPadhome
    ✭✭✭
    Also note that pets do Shock damage, which is lower on dark elf.
    Besides that the most important pet (familiar) does AoE damage and is buffed by lightning staves.
    So if you are dunmer I would not go pet setup for trials and dungeons and instead use some petless build with double flame staves.

Dont forget we are talking about differences of 1-10% here, if you are just a casual player not caring about min-maxing or scores you can pick anything and be good enough eventually.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run Julianos/BSW/Acuity combined with Moondancer or Infal on mine right now. Dual fire staves and Zaan for close fights, Skoria for ranged. Works really well. Once Summerset hits console next week, I'll be working on switching to Siroria instead of Moondancer or Infal.

But, the Fire/Lightning Ilambris setup still works with a dunmer, a fire based setup is just stronger.
  • AEAltadoonPadhome
    AEAltadoonPadhome
    ✭✭✭
    Even in that case I would prefer Ilambris over Skoria since you are using LL and FP/CS in any case. This can give the shock part of Ilambris about 800 dps, while the flame part can get the same. Skoria usually has 1200-1600 dps and in my experience equal or worse, but ilambris also gives an extra max magicka 1 piece bonus.
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer would be slightly better for a non-pet build using dual Inferno, especially if you're running a Perfect Asylum staff on your front bar with Force Pulse.

Altmer would be slightly better for a pet build using dual Lightning.

But I'm going to massively emphasize slightly here. You're probably talking about a loss of 1k, maybe 2k DPS at the absolute most if you run a pet build with a Dark Elf or a non-pet build with a High Elf.
    Edited by EldritchPenguin on June 1, 2018 2:37PM
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade