The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

playing the game in chronological order?

MalsvirIxen
So from what I've read from the other threads regarding this on multiple sites, is ZoS pretty much states that everything happens roughly the same time since they introduced One Tamriel. However I'm thinking more of say playing by release date since for the Daedric War you should play Morrowind first, then Clockwork City, and finally Summerset. So am I right in thinking that if I want to play the game in Chronological Order I should do this,

1. Play all 3 Alliance Zones simultaneously + Main Quest + Mage's Guild + Fighter's Guild
2. Imperial City
3. Morrowind
4. Orsinium + Thieves Guild + Dark Brotherhood +Shadow of Hist
5. Horns of the Reach + Clockwork City + Dragon Bones
6. Summerset
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swap the order of Morrowind and Orsinium and you got it. Orsinium came out before. The thieves guild and dark brotherhood don't add to the over arching story and neither does imperial city or any of the dungeon DLCs so their order doesn't really matter.
    Edited by static_recharge on May 30, 2018 1:07AM
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's close, but Orsinium before Morrowind.

Also, Thieves guild, Craglorn, Shadow of the Hist, Horns of the Reach, and Dragon Bones have no references to any other storyline or even any characters from other storylines so can be done at any time.

Make sure to do Coldharbour only after you've finished the alliance zones you choose (or in your case, all 3)

Alliance quests/Main quest/Fighters Guild/Mages Guild/Cyrodiil quests -> Coldharbour -> Final Main quest -> (Craglorn) -> Imperial City -> Orsinium -> (Thieves Guild) -> Dark Brotherhood -> Morrowind -> Clockwork City -> Summerset

Dungeon quests whenever, they're always self-contained
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want my opinion on the order, chronological and with an explanation of how the stories connect, I've written up a guide here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.Your alliance story only (not all 3); your role in the story makes zero sense if you do them simultaneously (you'll see why as you play through them); make sure to also complete the mages and fighters guild quests as you do the alliance story as they won't make sense after the planemeld is over

2. Orsinium

3. Dark Brotherhood (optional, more or less); there is a little bit of continuity between some familiar characters found in side quests around the Gold Coast and Naryu in the main quest, but that's it

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Stuff that can be done whenever:

Craglorn (it takes place after the events of the main story, but it doesn't connect to any other story lines)

Thieves Guild

Cadwell's Silver/Gold; this is when you're supposed to do the other alliance story lines. Meridia essentially puts a spell on your so you can experience the other story lines as if you were there (these stories are supposed to basically be a "dream" which is the only way they make sense)
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 30, 2018 1:31AM
  • MalsvirIxen
    1.Your alliance story only (not all 3); your role in the story makes zero sense if you do them simultaneously (you'll see why as you play through them); make sure to also complete the mages and fighters guild quests as you do the alliance story as they won't make sense after the planemeld is over

2. Orsinium

3. Dark Brotherhood (optional, more or less); there is a little bit of continuity between some familiar characters found in side quests around the Gold Coast and Naryu in the main quest, but that's it

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Craglorn (it takes place after the events of the main story, but it doesn't connect to any other story lines)

Thieves Guild

Cadwell's Silver/Gold; this is when you're supposed to do the other alliance story lines. Meridia essentially puts a spell on your so you can experience the other story lines as if you were there (these stories are supposed to basically be a "dream" which is the only way they make sense)

yeah that's why I was thinking of just doing all 3 together at the same time. Especially for when I jump over to areas where I'll be meeting Naryu and Razum-Dar since I'm assuming you're supposed to originally meet them in their alliance zones before the DLC and Chapter zones.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Orsinium

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Thieves Guild

yeah that's why I was thinking of just doing all 3 together at the same time. Especially for when I jump over to areas where I'll be meeting Naryu and Razum-Dar since I'm assuming you're supposed to originally meet them in their alliance zones before the DLC and Chapter zones.

Yeah, but the story won't make sense without the "Meridia" spell. You can still do it, you'll just need to turn a blind eye to all the inconsistencies.

For example, in one quest, you'll be told to kill a bunch of DC invaders off the coast of Auridon, then if you go to Glenumbra, you'll have a quest where you need to kill a bunch of AD invaders off the coast there. All the quests in a particular alliance will essentially paint members of the other alliances as scumbags.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 30, 2018 1:53AM
  • MalsvirIxen

2. Orsinium

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Thieves Guild

Yeah, but the story won't make sense without the "Meridia" spell. You can still do it, you'll just need to turn a blind eye to all the inconsistencies.

For example, in one quest, you'll be told to kill a bunch of DC invaders off the coast of Auridon, then if you go to Glenumbra, you'll have a quest where you need to kill a bunch of AD invaders off the coast there. All the quests in a particular alliance will essentially paint members of the other alliances as scumbags.

Oh I understand that. But by going by the lore for this time we already know the AD win the war so who I am allied with means all of jack to me.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Orsinium

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Thieves Guild

Oh I understand that. But by going by the lore for this time we already know the AD win the war so who I am allied with means all of jack to me.

AD most certainly did not win the war. Where did you get that piece of info from?
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Orsinium

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Thieves Guild

The war is meaningless, since eventually Tiber Septim creates a new empire and conquers everybody. So in that sense, the Imperials win.
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 30, 2018 3:54AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So from what I've read from the other threads regarding this on multiple sites, is ZoS pretty much states that everything happens roughly the same time since they introduced One Tamriel. However I'm thinking more of say playing by release date since for the Daedric War you should play Morrowind first, then Clockwork City, and finally Summerset. So am I right in thinking that if I want to play the game in Chronological Order I should do this,

1. Play all 3 Alliance Zones simultaneously + Main Quest + Mage's Guild + Fighter's Guild
    2. Imperial City
    3. Morrowind
    4. Orsinium + Thieves Guild + Dark Brotherhood +Shadow of Hist
    5. Horns of the Reach + Clockwork City + Dragon Bones
    6. Summerset

You should play the content in the order it was released.

You also need to be concerned about doing the quests (the side quests) in the right order within a zone.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

2. Orsinium

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Thieves Guild

AD most certainly did not win the war. Where did you get that piece of info from?

They are probably thinking of Skyrim and how much power the Thalmor have in that game, which is the latest on the timeline.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EP seems to get painted as scumbags the least, having played through all 3 campaigns.

AD *** up major for me in Shadowfen.
    Edited by Nyladreas on May 30, 2018 4:09AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    EP seems to get painted as scumbags the least, having played through all 3 campaigns.

Some people say that the Shadowfen incident was coordinated by some rogue AD group.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunmer actively keep slaves.

AD just cooked a few eggs. Dunmer probably make omelet from Argonian eggs every morning.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on May 30, 2018 4:22AM
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »

Some people say that the Shadowfen incident was coordinated by some rogue AD group.

I've not finished that questchain yet, but they can be a Veiled Heritance group...
    Edited by Ydrisselle on May 30, 2018 4:29AM
  • MalsvirIxen
    DoctorESO wrote: »

2. Orsinium

4. Morrowind

5. CWC

6. Summerset

Thieves Guild

They are probably thinking of Skyrim and how much power the Thalmor have in that game, which is the latest on the timeline.

No actually. I heard/read that from peeps in the game. It sounded logical to me given I felt the AD were more unified by the end of their storyline. Granted I've yet to finish EP or DC.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thieves Guild

Mostly correct, but Craglorn does take place before the events of The Gold Coast.

Silver and Gold are a bit more convoluted. They're not dreams, so much as parallel timelines that blend into your own as you progress. As is, The Gold Coast has scenes that cue off having completed multiple alliances, meaning the NPCs you encounter know you from their version of the world, suggesting that after Coldharbour the three timelines start blending together to create a new timeline.
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

AD just cooked a few eggs. Dunmer probably make omelet from Argonian eggs every morning.

Dunmer would never eat those filthy things
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The EP doesn't keep slaves. Only the Telvanni, who didn't join the Pact.

AD tried to wipe out an entire Argonian hatching (genocide) and for the DC, King Kurog put his official royal sanction on a group beheading priests and binding their souls to eternal torment.

... but yeah, those EP, right?