The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can we get 1H+Rune already?

Lone_Wolf
Lone_Wolf
✭✭✭
C'mon ZoS, You've teased it for 2 chapter trailers. Let us finally do something with 1H other than equip a shield or another sword.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't seem to care about this as passionately as some, but it is annoying seeing the trailers do all this stuff that can't happen in game ability wise.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I don't seem to care about this as passionately as some, but it is annoying seeing the trailers do all this stuff that can't happen in game ability wise.

Agreed. I don't see this as being that needed, but why would they include it in trailers if they have no intention of implementing it? It the very least it makes ZOS look like they don't even know their own game.
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only issue I see is that unless it was used in certain builds, we would actually see a lot of players trying to use it just because it looks cool, not realizing how much damage they lose by not being able to do light attacks in their ranged rotation. Obviously you could do builds like jabs, whips, etc. that were magic/melee based, but I see a lot of players overlooking something like that and just suffering in their performance and then blaming the game.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Lone_Wolf
    Lone_Wolf
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    Only issue I see is that unless it was used in certain builds, we would actually see a lot of players trying to use it just because it looks cool, not realizing how much damage they lose by not being able to do light attacks in their ranged rotation. Obviously you could do builds like jabs, whips, etc. that were magic/melee based, but I see a lot of players overlooking something like that and just suffering in their performance and then blaming the game.

And? What's wrong with that. The game is advertised as "play how you want" and if a dude wants to look cool rather than do the most max damage, then let them. If people want to min-max it's there. If peeps just want to look cool, it's there too.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can understand the desire from a cosmetic standpoint. But functionally, im not sure what purpose it would serve. Staffs count as 2pc now so that theres that. Making it so melee attacks scale off magicka would require them hit harder than destro lights. Rune as a defensive option? We already have a sheild or frost staff.

What gameplay application do you suggest this weapon skill line would represent that isnt already present in game?
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka based melee combat. I dont know exactly how its shown in the trailers, but the one 'type' of character that isnt represented in weapon skills is the 'bound weapon wizard warrior'. Id like it.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on May 26, 2018 8:10PM
  • Lunatic_Dizzy
    Lunatic_Dizzy
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, don't worry several months from now it will probably be included in the next chapter for another 40 bucks.
    XB1 / NA
    Lunatic Dizzy (Breton Mag Sorc DPS) *Main
    Lilith the Gilded Flame (Dunmer Mag DK DPS)
    Varissa the Black Widow (Dunmer Mag NB DPS)
    Soraya the Midnight Blade (Khajiit Stam NB DPS)
    Heals-with-the-Heavens (Argonian Templar Healer)
    Scales-of-Stonework (Argonian DK Tank)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lone_Wolf wrote: »
    Let us finally do something with 1H other than equip a shield or another sword.
    I agree! But that would be no surprise, considering: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii ;)
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    Magicka based melee combat. I dont know exactly how its shown in the trailers, but the one 'type' of character that isnt represented in weapon skills is the 'bound weapon wizard warrior'. Id like it.
    The "bound weapon warrior" is not a "magica melee combat" thing. It would be a hybrid wizard/warrior thing who summons a conjured melee weapon to use stamina based weapon attacks with...
    ...and considering that any such summons would be without enchantment or set bonus, well... I can't really see this being ver attractive for players. More something for NPCs, when the cultist suddenly summons bound armor and weapons to fight, then have them all vanish so you don't get to loot any...

As for magica melee, well, I still see no good reason why a scrawny but brainy robe-clad mage build would ever -want- to go without punching distance of a brawny, well-armored stamina build to do their damage! You know, the exact range where those get to hit back with big pieces of edged metal to let out the red stuff from the mages bodies?
    That being said, it -would- be a good thing if magica characters gor more options then "what flavor of staff do you like?". Options other then staves. Dual-wielding runestones for example, but just follow the link above to see what I am thinking about ;)
  • SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, don't worry several months from now it will probably be included in the next chapter for another 40 bucks.

I'll buy it
  • DamenAJ
    DamenAJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean to get anyones hopes up... But while pickpocketing people in summerset, many civilians would summon a bound sword when I failed and they attacked me.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    I can understand the desire from a cosmetic standpoint. But functionally, im not sure what purpose it would serve. Staffs count as 2pc now so that theres that. Making it so melee attacks scale off magicka would require them hit harder than destro lights. Rune as a defensive option? We already have a sheild or frost staff.

What gameplay application do you suggest this weapon skill line would represent that isnt already present in game?

One hand & rune could be the true hybrid weapon tree. A passive could be that both weapon and spell damage are equaled to whichever is highest while equipped as well as a max resource buff to both so it wont punish players for dividing up their attributes.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, ZOS got too lazy to add it in. That will be saved for a “chapter” in the future as a selling point .....

In the meantime, please use a Frost Destruction Staff to tank enemies :lol:
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "bound weapon warrior" is not a "magica melee combat" thing. It would be a hybrid wizard/warrior thing who summons a conjured melee weapon to use stamina based weapon attacks with

Since it isnt in the game, you dont know what it would be.. :smile: At the moment there are only class based short ranged magicka attacks.. so that is one thing that is missing. Some warrior monk / unarmed / something.. "sorcerer = staff ranged DPS only" is boring I think.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it isnt in the game, you dont know what it would be.. :smile:
    Actually we sort of do, since it was in other TES games. ;)

Also, logic.
    I know, how dare I bring logic into gaming?
    But still, if you do your damage by using your muscles to swing a weapon, that is a stamina weapon, no matter if the weapon was forged by an orc on a mountaintop, or magicked up by your conjuration spells...
    At the moment there are only class based short ranged magicka attacks...
    ...you have never been pulsar'd by an skirt&staff PvPlayer then? ;)
    But yeah, while there is some short range stuff in the destro staff line, the -basic- idea for that weapon is ranged combat. Which makes sense for mages, considering...
    ...I still see no good reason why a scrawny but brainy robe-clad mage build would ever -want- to go without punching distance of a brawny, well-armored stamina build to do their damage! You know, the exact range where those get to hit back with big pieces of edged metal to let out the red stuff from the mages bodies?
    ...but as i said, there could be more options for magica characters to it. And for hybrid characters. Not that those are currently all that good an idea (bring back attribute softcaps!)... but a "Twin Magic" or a "1H&Magic" skill line would -really- be a nifty thing to have... which of course is why I keep suggesting those! ;)
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

One hand & rune could be the true hybrid weapon tree. A passive could be that both weapon and spell damage are equaled to whichever is highest while equipped as well as a max resource buff to both so it wont punish players for dividing up their attributes.

Thats not really accomplishing anything though. You cant have hybrids in a game with such rigid end points on both extremes. Hybrids work now in overland for casual play, but by inherently by design in games with a traditional trinity, a hybrid would have to be weaker than a pure mag or stam. In mmos where this middle ground is tolerated with aspects like pure support roles and what not for sure but not here.

So again, as a hybrid weapon type, where would it hold itself under esos core design that a melee stam build or a magicka build that happens to stand in melee range doesnt already cover? On a core principle in end game, where would 1h rune sit in terms of covering an avenue that doesnt already exist?

Now on the other hand, one of the things about this games design philosophy is implementing different tools for any given job that play unique from one another. The rune skill line would have to function uniquely from the other weapons, but with the way weapons operate along side skills in this game its hard to formulate a unique gameplay style in that regard. There are a few things i suppose you could give to rune skill line that would represnt unqiue twists to some class skills (mag gap closer for sorcs I guess?, mag melee spammable to contrast whip and concealed weapon, hard casted nuke etc etc) but honestly it becomes academic at that point.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But still, if you do your damage by using your muscles to swing a weapon, that is a stamina weapon, no matter if the weapon was forged by an orc on a mountaintop, or magicked up by your conjuration spells.

Not sure how much logic argumentation you can bring for a game which *gives* you stamina for using a heavy attack.. and damage in eso doesnt even scale with skill increase per se.. anyway it would be nice with magic weapons imo especially if they bring that evil necromancer class some people want..

And tbh *mages in robes* is so stereotypical B) give me something like Sauron in the LotR movies and tell me thats a scrawny mage...
    Edited by MaleAmazon on May 27, 2018 4:48PM
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Have to be very careful if that is the approach, as it could easily become extremely OP...