The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Knight in Shining Armor

Avalon
Avalon
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know where to post requests for build ideas/suggestions, so, hope it is here.

I always love playing the Knight in Shining Armor types, Paladins, etc. I would guess that would best be a Templar in ESO, but, until they change the Aedric spear line (which they never will do), I'm staying away from that. It's very much in the flavor of a valkyrie, but not for a Knight/Paladin. If they changed it to affect the current wielded weapon, awesome... but, if I don't like using a spear, it just looks horrible. So, aside from that, think normal Paladin type character... any suggestions on how to do that?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think Templars did not fight with spears/javelins etc? The idea in ESO is more of a holy lance of light anyway which in terms of fantasy makes sense. But if you’re not satisfied with that then you can just go with the classic sword and shield look. If you’re goal is more RP than endgame combat then it doesn’t need matter whether you forget the offensive Templar skills like jabs and javelin. As a note the Sapiarch greatsword is pretty “knight in shining armor” looking. You can easily complete PvE overland content with 2H skills and the Templar defensive skills. You might also consider skills like crushing weapons from the Psijic order line which make your weapons glow for a short time. Dawnbreaker ultimate is literally a sword of light (although hard to see if you’re graphics aren’t really good).
    Edited by Vapirko on May 26, 2018 3:57AM
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never said they didn't, I said my idea of a Paladin/Knight in Shining Armor does not. They use S&B and 2H. Templars, by TES lore might very well use them, but then again, ESO wanders far from TES lore in a lot of places, so it bothers me not to stray from what templars according to Lore would do. I only care that I have a very basic, standard cliche of a character, that I like to play. How do I build THAT character?
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avalon wrote: »
    I never said they didn't, I said my idea of a Paladin/Knight in Shining Armor does not. They use S&B and 2H. Templars, by TES lore might very well use them, but then again, ESO wanders far from TES lore in a lot of places, so it bothers me not to stray from what templars according to Lore would do. I only care that I have a very basic, standard cliche of a character, that I like to play. How do I build THAT character?

Well then you’re limited to cosmetics. Sorry. And you will have a very hard or impossible time competing in any endgame environment.
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you are PC NA, pm in game at @thalbern i can help
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Well then you’re limited to cosmetics. Sorry. And you will have a very hard or impossible time competing in any endgame environment.

Well, have not heard THAT before! I guess I will go back to my non-end-game playing that I already am forced into by the constraints of this silly game, and continue being there?
    Arobain wrote: »
    if you are PC NA, pm in game at @thalbern i can help

Sorry =( On Xbox NA ... what sort of help could you give? Perhaps it can be conveyed over the forums?
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    add me on discord @Arobain#6705 and i can help you that way
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    add me on discord @Arobain#6705 and i can help you that way

I don't use discord... that's a PC thing. I used to use a few programs back in my PC days, but no longer, why use them? I'm on console =( sorry
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can download it on phone, no really other way to contact me, so if that doesnt work for ya, i cant help ya
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We seem to be in contact just fine right here, though...
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    i dont want to do this on the forums, its not what its meant for, if you are unwilling to provide a little for me, dont see why i should help :/
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand, sort of, except that there are plenty of examples of people giving build advice on these very same forums... so, yes, they are meant for this sort of thing. And, what you are saying you will provide, can be done easily on here, WITH input on that advice from others. If we only spoke with each other elsewhere, it would only be your advice. If others knew something better, or liked an idea you had, but knew a way to improve on it, we would lose that valuable input. So, no, for several reasons, I wish to keep it all right here. If you honestly wish to help, then you would respect those wishes, and still provide assistance. Otherwise, no, I do not care for it, because it begins to have strings attached, requirements that I go away from here, and I have to question... why?

Please, if you honestly do wish to offer assistance, and advice, disclose it here, and if others agree cool, if they have other ideas, cool, if they have ways to improve, cool. I want everyone's suggestions.
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    except what you want is unconventional and you'll much likely rather attract meta tards that dont believe in diversity

you want help? tell me what it is that you are wanting with this build, dps, heal, tank, mix? melee, ranged? stam, mag, both? tell me and give me information, then i can help

and dont be daunted by the meta tards we are surely gonna bring
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    S/B and 2h templar, ( it will be stam) is possible if questing, and even in PvP.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    except what you want is unconventional and you'll much likely rather attract meta tards that dont believe in diversity

you want help? tell me what it is that you are wanting with this build, dps, heal, tank, mix? melee, ranged? stam, mag, both? tell me and give me information, then i can help

I'm thinking the typical Knight in Shining Armor. Lancelot. The Knight that will stand toe to toe with even the meanest of enemies, and not flinch. So, probably tank? But, one that is protected by the "gods" (aedra). So, just think of the most generic Knight of mythology, and there you go? I understand, probably not meta, and all, but, eh, who cares. I'm not a meta-guy, and think it is stupid to have the meta, as it robs all of the normal players by insisting on doing it that way. So, yeah, bring me the Holy Knight, has a sword in one hand, and a shield in the other, and is blessed by his deity to vanquish all unnatural things. Guess could be seen as a Stendarr worshiper?
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in bed now bout go to sleep; I'll come back tomorrow
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    2h and SnB stam warden. I was going for the same thing. I wear all heavy armor, hit very hard, and am very tanky.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not that I care one way or the other but you can send personal messages on these boards. Just click on the name at the left and then the message button.
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    so, you want a paladin with some holy flare, well heres what i would suggest, if you go ahead and google, ESO monster sets, and ESO drop sets, you will find a full list of both, you'll be able to see and find exactly what you think would be a good addition to your ideal holy knight build, this is the best way, that way you can learn about sets, and also find something that YOU like instead of what i like
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what it seems, you might want to add some information about what you are looking for. So far it is mostly what you are not looking for.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would just go Templar and use the 2H or 1H+S weaponskills instead of the spearskills if you don't like the later.
    Edited by Everstorm on May 27, 2018 5:18AM
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an idea of a holy Wrath type of knight but it definitely uses non meta tank setup, though it can go through dlc dungeons just fine. With the current outfit system, you don't have to worry how you will look as you will always have the part of a Paladin.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    I would just go Templar and use the 2H or 1H+S weaponskills instead of the spearskills if you don't like the later.

what he says.

OP, you are looking for a "holy" component which can only come from the Templar class with it's holy and divine skills/heals

You are also looking for a '"knight" component which comes from the heavy armor you will choose and wear (or costume/outfit looks) paired with the skills that can only come from the S&B or 2hand skills lines

There you have your personal preference. Note that your choice of playstyle will limit you into non-endgame content but that's just fine.

If you are willing to drop the "holy/paladin" component from the equation and stick to the "Knight" part solely you could roll a DK tank and then you are set for anything including endgame content as 'tank' role and mediocre stamina dps at the same time

Edited by profundidob16_ESO on May 29, 2018 12:03PM
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my templar armor outfit looks really shiny in MoL boss room. i'll try to get a screenshot of that.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking the typical Knight in Shining Armor. Lancelot. The Knight that will stand toe to toe with even the meanest of enemies, and not flinch. So, probably tank? But, one that is protected by the "gods" (aedra). So, just think of the most generic Knight of mythology, and there you go? I understand, probably not meta, and all, but, eh, who cares. I'm not a meta-guy, and think it is stupid to have the meta, as it robs all of the normal players by insisting on doing it that way. So, yeah, bring me the Holy Knight, has a sword in one hand, and a shield in the other, and is blessed by his deity to vanquish all unnatural things. Guess could be seen as a Stendarr worshiper?

Since you want to keep it here in the forums, I'll post the build that I had in mind. Pls do note that it's not meta, its not meant to tank trials so alot of the reasons why I had the build in mind are basically aesthetics but it does work in dungeons, even the dlc ones.

I'll start with the magicka variant: Aedric Avenger.

Ritual of Retribution
    Pierce Armor
    Radiant Aura
    Radiant Ward
    Explosive Charge / Circle of Protection
    Shield Discipline (shield ult)

Channeled Focus
    Purifying Light
    Inner Rage
    Solar Barrage / Absorb Magic / Circle of Protection
    Reflective Light
    Remembrance / Aggressive Warhorn / Barrier

Gear are 2pc Swarm Mother / Malubeth, 5pc Akaviri Dragon guard and 5pc Ebon (or Hist Bark if you hate the look of the red balls)

Gameplay: it's a melee magicka build so take note that your weapon hits does nothing for regaining back magicka resource. It does however, help you regain stamina which is critical for tanking. The trick is to heavy hits only when you have Shield Discipline up, which will be up almost constantly due to dragon guard and activating solar barrage and/or reflective light.

Explosive charge - ritual of retribution - radiant aura activate (these deal magicka steal to enemies in a large radius, effectively aggroing them) - radiant ward (for shield and additional damage on nearby mobs, soft aggroing them - circle of protection - shield ult (if its up, it will proc swarm mothers and bring those pesky range mobs to you) - pierce armor the melee mobs.

In overland content, you can easily tank dolmens, WB and geysers though having a dps buddy will help if you are levelling anyway.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!