The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PC crashing on character screen

ithlia
ithlia
✭✭✭
This is basically a report.

Today I was playing without any issue, other than the reported stutter, when I ran into a problem that I've had a couple of times since Summerset was released. I was using a wayshrine in Auridon to go to Summerset, the game crashed my PC just as Summerset started to load. It was a hard crash that caused my PC to restart. This has happened three times before while travelling to Summerset but I could always get back in, today I couldn't. The game defaults to the last character played which was the one going to Summerset. My PC was doing a hard crash just as the character screen loaded with that character. I tried at least 10 times with the same hard crash result just as this character appeared on my screen. If this was a single player game I would think this was a corrupt save.

There was no error messages, just an instant crash.

I tried restarting my PC, I used the suggested repair tool twice, I removed all addons according to the ESO instructions for removing them, with no luck. As a last resort I deleted the game and all associated files and reinstalled fresh. That took over four hours. This appears to have fixed the problem for now and I got back in but I'm not keen on travelling to Summerset after this.

I'm running:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit - up to date
Intel Core i7-3930k
GeForce GTX 970 - up to date
16 GB RAM